Beyond Good & Evil 2

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Beyond Good & Evil 2

Postby sand4fish » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:37 am

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

As cinematic trailers go, this beats cyberpunk 2077 or TLOU 2 anytime for me. The art direction and characters simply ooze with personality. I really look forward to this, even though I have never touched the first game.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Beyond Good & Evil 2

Postby OL » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:01 pm

I won't go on and on about it after this post, because I don't want to ruin anybody's fun if they're really digging what they see here... but good god, am I ever disappointed by how this looks.
Take note that in absolutely no way am I implying anything about how good or bad the game will be. If anything, it'll probably be a stellar piece of interactive entertainment. Ancel is great, and this has been in development for a long damn time. Tons of money and talent behind it, and let's be honest, that usually adds up to good things.

But as somebody who was in love with the original game almost from launch, has beaten it upwards of 5 or 6 times, and has been craving a continuation to the story for about 15 years now... this just doesn't strike me at all as what I'd been waiting for. If you were to show me this with no title attached, and told me to guess what it's supposed to be a sequel to... I don't know that I'd ever come around to guessing Beyond Good and Evil. Maybe the pig would be a tipoff, but otherwise it's just wildly too different for that to be a natural guess.
And for something like this -- the sequel to a game with a passionate and genuine cult fanbase behind it -- I just don't think that's a great way to go about things. Something like this ought to be almost immediately recognizable as being related to the original, and yet... it really, really is not.
Maybe one day I'll warm to it, if the gameplay looks good and all. But it'll probably take a long time. And if you're trying to make a fan-pleasing game like this (what other point is there in bringing back a previously dead IP if not to please the old fans?), the fact that I'll have to warm up to it feels like a bit of a major misfire.

And what the hell is up with the goddamn overuse of the word "fuck"?
The original game was clean as a PG-rated movie. Seriously.
I'm not opposed to swearing in most cases, but I still take note of it when it seems overboard or out-of-place, and in this case it's absolutely both of those things. It's like getting a sequel to the Iron Giant where Hogarth keeps calling his mom a bloody cunt rag.
I'm no prude, but this stuff weirdly just comes off as being totally not right.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:18 pm

unpredictable OL is unpredictable
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Lan Di-sama » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:16 pm

As my biggest video game request after Shenmue III, I was stoked when Ancel began teasing imagery up til the e3 announcement last year, and extremely disappointed after watching the reveal trailer and learning it would be a prequel, not a sequel, and yet another open world overly customizable adventure game.

BG&E had simple, but fun gameplay, and an interesting story that was bolstered by heartfelt, compelling characters and music. I want another 10-15 hour action RPG in the same vein, continuing the story of the original which ended on a cliffhanger.

This prequel nonsense is of little interest to me, and their backpedaling on NOT including the original characters makes me think they have no idea what they want to accomplish in terms of storytelling. So, we have preteen Jade, who is a villain - after being told for the past year she wouldn't be in the game at all. And we get to play as a build-a-character crew-member on a space pirate ship in what would appear to be just another massive open world game that probably entails of nothing more than a long list of quests that might trigger an occasional scene to propel the story.

Totally missed the mark with this one, at least as far as getting me excited about its existence after waiting 15 years for a follow-up. I'll still be watching its progress with some interest, but I really would have liked a direct story-driven sequel with similar style and gameplay. Ancel had a trilogy planned and I'm not convinced this is going to stick to his original script at all.

Remember the Ubi Days 2008 announcement trailer? Can't believe that was 10 years ago, but it showed Pey'j and Jade broken down on a desert planet and even though it was a short teaser, it seemed like it was definitely aiming to pick the story up where we left off. That's what I wanted.

Lan Di-sama has received a thanks from: OL
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby south carmain » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:23 am

Yeah I really don't understand it being called "BG&E2" when it really isn't that. It looks interesting though but I'll wait until they show more gameplay before getting hyped.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Return to General Gaming