Every purchased a game you simply did not play?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Every purchased a game you simply did not play?

Postby King John Blaze » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:42 pm

Has happened to me a few times this generation. I have underestimated how much having a child and pressure from having a mortgage has had on my (gaming) social life.

The first game I wasted money on was Project Cars 2. Desperate for a racing game since Project Gotham, I bought this game to only realise it was more of a simulator than I initially thought (my fault). Simply got frustrated by what I saw as unrealistic driving mechanics and slow gameplay. Maybe tried to complete a race a half dozen times before cutting my losses and deleting it.

Also got F1 2017 which I, ironically, found to be an excellent game and I loved the speed and tension that game from its realism. However, haven't had the time to invest in it and I have only completed 1 race and a couple times and that's it. Still in my library but don't touch it.

Then you have Monster Hunter World which I simply haven't had the time to get in to. Had it since launch but have only played it for an hour or so. I also skipped out on a few games knowing that I would not have the time to play them like the most recent Shadow of Mordor game, Dragon Ball Fighterz, Yakuza and others.
King John Blaze
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Re: Every purchased a game you simply did not play?

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:45 am

Yeah, this generation it has happened to me with Gravity Rush for instance. I have treid to play the first one or two hours of it for two times now already, but simply couldn't get into it. I still wanna finish it some day because it does give me the feeling that it's a very good game but it kind of didn't captivate me so far.

Recently I finally got around to start playing The Talos Principle (which I find surprisingly good, by the way) which a friend gave to me as a present about half a year ago. But I still have another 8 to 10 games on my backlog which are either sitting in my living room drawer, waiting to be played or on preorder or backed on Kickstarter, not released yet. Shenmue 3 not even counted, of course.

Those are games I'm really looking forward to play, but didn't get around to play yet. Stuff like Nier Automata, Sturmwind (Dreamcast), Stardew Valley plus the preorders/Kickstarters like Bloodstained, Lost Ember, Death Stranding.

It's ironic, just like you said. Now, with a job to do, a car to pay off and rent to pay, I have the money to play all the games I'd like to play but I don't have the time to play them. Back in high school or university, it kind of was the other way around. I might have been able to find the time to play all the games I wanted but didn't have the money.

How do I handle the situation? I've become extremely selective about what games I play and a lot of games have just fallen through the cracks which I normally would have been very interested in. Stuff like Resident Evil 7, Horizon Zero Dawn, Metal Gear Solid 5 and so on and so forth. I'm sure they are great games but you just have to make some decisions. I've got other hobbies, got other stuff to do, so I can't play every good game, especially taking into account the sheer amount of great games on PS4.

While 2016 and 2017 have been absolutely outstanding years in terms of releases for the PS4's library, 2018 looks to be a lot more quiet. In fact, the only 2018 releases I've bought so far are The 25th Ward and Yakuza 6. I'm still planning to buy Shenmue 1 &2 HD (which I'm gonna buy 12 or 15 copies of for collector's reasons, but that's a different story) Life is Strange 2, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Yakuza Kiwami 2 and the Catherine Remaster. If that one is still coming to the West in 2018, that is. And I think it's more likely that Catherine is gonna be coming to Europe in 2019, to be honest.

So all in all, I'm probably gonna end up only buying like 5 or 6 different games this year. There might be one or two surprises, but still that's really not a lot. But with those games plus my backlog I'm probably gonna be kept busy gaming-wise for a long time. Way into 2019 at the least.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:58 am

I'd be listing probably half of my games here. Some people have eyes bigger than their stomach, mine are bigger than my, erm, console. Or something.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby DigitalDuck » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:55 am

Most of the games I've purchased that I didn't play were Kickstarter projects that looked promising and then failed to deliver. Most notable of these is Elite: Dangerous, which promised a DRM-free game that could be played online or offline, and was released as (and continues to be) an online-only game that requires server authentication (and they won't refund me either).

I don't think I've ever purchased a game and not played it, but sometimes I regret purchases, giving up on a game after a short amount of playtime when it doesn't give me the enjoyment I was expecting. I thought Project: Cars looked good but it was just not fun to play at all.
DigitalDuck
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

XBL: DuckProgrammer
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Life

Return to General Gaming