R.I.P Robin Williams

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: R.I.P Robin Williams

Postby ShenSun » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:32 pm

This man filled my childhood with so many magical memories. Rest in peace. You'll be missed by millions :(
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby OL » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:54 pm

Kenny wrote: http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/robi ... rc=fanpage

Here's how it works for most of us, as far as I can tell. I'll even put it in list form, because who gives a fuck at this point:

1. At an early age, you start hating yourself. Often it's because you were abused, or just grew up in a broken home, or were rejected socially, or maybe you were just weird or fat or ... whatever. You're not like the other kids, the other kids don't seem to like you, and you can usually detect that by age 5 or so.

2. At some point, usually at a very young age, you did something that got a laugh from the room. You made a joke or fell down or farted, and you realized for the first time that you could get a positive reaction that way. Not genuine love or affection, mind you, just a reaction -- one that is a step up from hatred and a thousand steps up from invisibility. One you could control.

3. You soon learned that being funny builds a perfect, impenetrable wall around you -- a buffer that keeps anyone from getting too close and realizing how much you suck. The more you hate yourself, the stronger you need to make the barrier and the further you have to push people away. In other words, the better you have to be at comedy.

4. In your formative years, you wind up creating a second, false you -- a clown that can go out and represent you, outside the barrier. The clown is always joking, always "on," always drawing all of the attention in order to prevent anyone from poking away at the barrier and finding the real person behind it. The clown is the life of the party, the classroom joker, the guy up on stage -- as different from the "real" you as possible. Again, the goal is to create distance.

You do it because if people hate the clown, who cares? That's not the real you. So you're protected.

But the side effect is that if people love the clown ... well, you know the truth. You know how different it'd be if they met the real you.

Y'know, I read that article earlier, and it was kind of irritating because it was like the writer was making this insane generalization that "ALL FUNNY PEOPLE ARE TORTURED AND DEPRESSED!" leaving practically no room for exceptions.
Seemed a bit silly to me. Like a totally irrational knee-jerk reaction to Robin Williams killing himself.
Now all the easily-swayed people that read it are going to be assuming that anyone who makes a joke is secretly in pain.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:30 pm

Well he did prefix it with "most of us" instead of "all of us" and since all the funny people I like have admitted to depression or some kind of deep seeded disorder, I tend to believe it. Among them Rodney Dangerfield, Jim Carrey, and Chris Farley.

I'd like to think there are exceptions, but I can't think of any now. As of a matter of fact, I read an article that claims that Williams' troubles were largely about money because of his first two divorces. It mentioned that he HATED the fact he was going to do Mrs. Doubtfire 2 but only agreed to it because of his debts. That definitely makes more sense to me.
Last edited by Kenny on Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Kuroneko » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:32 pm

Holy cow...I was so sad when he died. D;
Kuroneko
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby OL » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:29 am

Kenny wrote:...and since all the funny people I like have admitted to depression...

Eh, that's everyone nowadays, not just the funnymen. We're all human, and we all run an insane gamut of emotions throughout our lives.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:56 am

I'm pretty sure English comedians don't fall into that "most of us are depressing suicidal cunts" category.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby mrslig100 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:42 pm

A comedian who lacks cynicism and depression is a comedian who lacks comedy.
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby Kuroneko » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:28 pm

supposedly a few a-holes have driven his daughter away from social media

http://i.imgur.com/1JQ8eRf.png and there's articles out on the Internet about it too I think.
Kuroneko
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Kenny » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:00 pm

That's just fucking sad and they're probably a couple of pre-teens that need a good ass-whooping too.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:17 am

Jesus Christ. That shit is sickening.
I'm not personally as upset over his death as a lot of others seem to be, but that kind of crap is just plain wrong in the worst way.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:19 am

Disgusting.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:56 pm

phpBB [video]