Has anyone been to Yokosuka?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Has anyone been to Yokosuka?

Postby Jeff » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:50 pm

I used to want to go when I was in Vermont and dying for adventure. Now living on Long Island, which is overpopulated, over-taxed, congested, stressful place, do i want to then travel to an overpopulated, over-taxed, congested, stressful island? At least here the food is far better and diverse. Japan is very homogeneous, here there is the world's melting-pot. I'd go if I was either really wealthy and alot of time on my hands. Other than that I'd rather spend my vacation time either somewhere quiet or tropical.
Jeff
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

PSN: jgk1020
XBL: jgkny
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Halo Master Chief Col

Postby Mitsuzuki » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:55 pm

jay_mack wrote: I'm from Canada. I figured it was probably fine, but I just wanted to make sure.

I guess I'll make the trip! It's not that far out of the way - seems very close to Tokyo.

Also a Canuck and also playing Destiny.

Who's your favourite NHL team?
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby Master Kyodai » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:07 pm

Jeff wrote: I used to want to go when I was in Vermont and dying for adventure. Now living on Long Island, which is overpopulated, over-taxed, congested, stressful place, do i want to then travel to an overpopulated, over-taxed, congested, stressful island? At least here the food is far better and diverse. Japan is very homogeneous, here there is the world's melting-pot. I'd go if I was either really wealthy and alot of time on my hands. Other than that I'd rather spend my vacation time either somewhere quiet or tropical.

Well Japan has very quiet tropical places as well - actually loads of them. Okinawa got the climate and look of Hawaii, on postcards you could barely tell the difference. But already the empty white beaches at Kamakura - just an hour with the subway from Tokyo - give you relaxation from busy Tokyo video game and manga stress. I had my first date with my wife at Kamakura. We spent pretty much all afternoon and evening at the beach which we had pretty much just for the two of us with a few surfers in the distance being the only exception. The water was so warm, we only got out for getting a new sixpack of beer from the convenience store and a few breaks.

This year we also visited Nikko. I like the beutiful waterfalls, rapids and hiking alone the mountains. Normally I'd also recommend Hakkone, but this year it's been a bad season for them because of the volcano...

Master Kyodai has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Mitsuzuki
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby jay_mack » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:46 pm

Mitsuzuki wrote:
jay_mack wrote: I'm from Canada. I figured it was probably fine, but I just wanted to make sure.

I guess I'll make the trip! It's not that far out of the way - seems very close to Tokyo.

Also a Canuck and also playing Destiny.

Who's your favourite NHL team?

I'm born and raised in ottawa, so I'm a sens fan through and through. But now I live in toronto.... so.... anybody but the leafs.

Hah! Just kidding.

For me it goes: Sens, Leafs/Habs (split between my parents) then Van, then Boston. What about you?

And maybe a more critical question: Titan, Hunter, or Warlock?
jay_mack
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: Destiny

Postby jay_mack » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:48 pm

Master Kyodai wrote:Well Japan has very quiet tropical places as well - actually loads of them. Okinawa got the climate and look of Hawaii, on postcards you could barely tell the difference. But already the empty white beaches at Kamakura - just an hour with the subway from Tokyo - give you relaxation from busy Tokyo video game and manga stress. I had my first date with my wife at Kamakura. We spent pretty much all afternoon and evening at the beach which we had pretty much just for the two of us with a few surfers in the distance being the only exception. The water was so warm, we only got out for getting a new sixpack of beer from the convenience store and a few breaks.

This year we also visited Nikko. I like the beutiful waterfalls, rapids and hiking alone the mountains. Normally I'd also recommend Hakkone, but this year it's been a bad season for them because of the volcano...

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to look into these places, We're staying mostly in Tokyo, so I might make a day trip out of one of these.
jay_mack

Currently playing: Destiny

Postby Jeff » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:52 pm

Master Kyodai wrote:
Jeff wrote: I used to want to go when I was in Vermont and dying for adventure. Now living on Long Island, which is overpopulated, over-taxed, congested, stressful place, do i want to then travel to an overpopulated, over-taxed, congested, stressful island? At least here the food is far better and diverse. Japan is very homogeneous, here there is the world's melting-pot. I'd go if I was either really wealthy and alot of time on my hands. Other than that I'd rather spend my vacation time either somewhere quiet or tropical.

Well Japan has very quiet tropical places as well - actually loads of them. Okinawa got the climate and look of Hawaii, on postcards you could barely tell the difference. But already the empty white beaches at Kamakura - just an hour with the subway from Tokyo - give you relaxation from busy Tokyo video game and manga stress. I had my first date with my wife at Kamakura. We spent pretty much all afternoon and evening at the beach which we had pretty much just for the two of us with a few surfers in the distance being the only exception. The water was so warm, we only got out for getting a new sixpack of beer from the convenience store and a few breaks.

I hear you, but I could go 2 1/2 hours to Florida or 14 hours to similar where I can't understand anyone. :)
Jeff
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

PSN: jgk1020
XBL: jgkny
Currently playing: Halo Master Chief Col

Postby myshtuff » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:44 am

I worked in Okinawa for 6 months a few years back. It's an awesome place. I would highly recommend visiting.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Mitsuzuki » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:05 am

jay_mack wrote:I'm born and raised in ottawa, so I'm a sens fan through and through. But now I live in toronto.... so.... anybody but the leafs.

Hah! Just kidding.

For me it goes: Sens, Leafs/Habs (split between my parents) then Van, then Boston. What about you?

And maybe a more critical question: Titan, Hunter, or Warlock?

Born in the burbs of Toronto and living in the city so I bleed the blue and white. I have no favs beyond the Leafs, but I do enjoy watching quality playoff hockey; which as you know, the Leafs are rarely a part of.

Indeed, to the more pressing question- here is my scale of preference:
Hunter--Warlock-------Titan

I like using each characters subclasses for their own unique way of playing, particularly in PvP. But hunter with blades and invis is just too bad ass. :)
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby Master Kyodai » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:47 pm

Jeff wrote:
Master Kyodai wrote:

I hear you, but I could go 2 1/2 hours to Florida or 14 hours to similar where I can't understand anyone. :)

I guess Florida is the bargain choice anyways if you're just looking for neat beaches that ain't too overcrowded. I must admit i got fond memories of west Florida. We did a road trip from Tampa, Sarasota and Ft. myers all the way down to Naples. Was a damn nice vacation - at least for me since i like beaches, palms and reading USA today. If that suits you then go for it and enjoy.

I'd sometimes also just wanna go on a relaxation vacation, just hanging out at the beach lazy all day, maybe rent a scooter or ATV and drive around for fun. But yeah my wife gotta see her relatives at least once a year, can't mind her. So we always end up in Tokyo in summer. What i like in Tokyo is not just that pulsating metropole it is, also the good infrastructure, that i can hop in a subway and an hour later I am in a sunken bamboo forrest, in rice fields, at a beach, in the mountains and so on. For me the worst is indeed the long flight. "just" 12 hours from Dusseldorf, but still hell for me.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:12 pm

I'm headed there next year in July, if all continues to be well here at work.

Already have about 25% of my trip saved up and I've only been saving since April.
Truck_1_0_1_
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Postby Ash » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:24 pm

Master Kyodai wrote:For me the worst is indeed the long flight. "just" 12 hours from Dusseldorf,

I can certainly sympathise with that. :| It's even worse when you end behind someone who insists on fully reclining their seat all the way back, and then starts bouncing in the seat to try get comfortable.
Ash
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Chiba-Kun » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:50 am

JAL does premium economy seats for a few hundred euros more. It seems like a lot, but for a 12 hour flight there's nothing better.
Chiba-Kun

Postby Sonikku » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:28 am

I couldn't stand Florida the one week I spent there as a kid, as one who has spent their entire life in New York State. It's so beastly hot I got big bubble blisters there on my shoulders. :shock: And the AC was on constantly. And this was in February.

I've dearly wanted to visit Japan. Basically all my life. Yokosuka? Definitely. Though I doubt I'll ever have the money. Too often when people travel do I hear of people going to McDonald's. Seriously? You traveled thousands of miles for a big mac? Some people travel a huge distance just to hang out at a beach, or worse, a pool. I mean come on. You can go to a pool or a beach <50 miles from where you live most of the time!! You don't do that when vacationing!!

But one thing I could tell you is if I did, I would take in all that culture and eat all that cuisine, take in all the people, the nuances, eat tons of ramen, drink that big bowl empty naruto style, load up on Nintendo swag, buy boat loads of capsule toys and I wouldn't draw the line until I hit the used panties vending machines!
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby ConanTheKing » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:34 am

myshtuff wrote: Why yes I have. Here are some pictures I took.

https://goo.gl/photos/D18ALLuVqLk2A7Ks6

Wow, some lovely pictures. Thank you for sharing them, do you plan to go back to Japan again in the future?

ConanTheKing has received a thanks from: myshtuff
ConanTheKing

PSN: ConanTheLeader

Postby myshtuff » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:20 am

ConanTheKing wrote:
myshtuff wrote: Why yes I have. Here are some pictures I took.

https://goo.gl/photos/D18ALLuVqLk2A7Ks6

Wow, some lovely pictures. Thank you for sharing them, do you plan to go back to Japan again in the future?

Yeah hopefully next year. This is for sure a country I can see myself going back to every few years or so.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic