Linux Users

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Linux Users

Postby KiBa » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:49 pm

You're right. The 11 series is defective for most people. It's an Arch Linux conspiracy. They have moles everywhere, and they sabotaged the package system.

But still, tell me about your video card, and I'll try to get you working drivers for that too, if you want to use straight Ubuntu for some reason.

Have you tried Linux Mint Debian Edition? It might help you to leave the Ubuntu base behind, yet still have access to the world of Debian packages. 'Tis also a rolling distribution, so you'll never have to reinstall again.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Dorian » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:47 pm

I like some parts of Ubuntu (like Banshee and Sound Applet integration) and that's why I went with the standard Linux Mint 11. I think it's the best thing for my old laptop. There are too many issues with the newest distros. Oh, and I was using the best drivers for my hardware, really. It was just a kernel issue, and it didn't affect just me. There are many people with the same problem on the Ubuntu forums now. Ubu 11 is just bad for the older hardware.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

Postby KiBa » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:00 pm

Well then, may the Force be with you, despite the fact that it evidently does not discriminate between dark and light.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Dorian » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:42 pm

I went back to Ubuntu - we are few major updates later and everything works just fine now. I'm also very happy with the speed of the system after the latest kernel update.

I had to throw out Unity, though. It's utterly irritating. I went with... Gnome Shell! Raw GS is close to being unusable, but just a couple of extensions can make it a very nice thing.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby shengoro86 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:57 pm

For work, I use Backtrack and Blackbuntu (KDE for Backtrack \:D/ [naturally] and Gnome 3 for blackbuntu). I do a lot of penetration testing for a federal network. For home use, I use Ubuntu 11.10 running Gnome Classic, Red Ribbon Linux on PS3 CFW, Damn Small Linux on original Xbox and PS2. Also, some others that are not worth mentioning. O yeah, and Windows 7... ](*,)
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Dorian » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:02 pm

^I can't even imagine needing so many Linux installations, but that's still very impressive. You're one tech-savvy guy, shengoro86. ;-)
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby shengoro86 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:56 pm

Dorian wrote:^I can't even imagine needing so many Linux installations, but that's still very impressive. You're one tech-savvy guy, shengoro86. ;-)

Thanks again. I have always been interested in Linux over windows and mac. Getting it to work with PS3 is a bitch though and it is considered highly illegal in sony's eyes.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby Dorian » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:06 pm

I was never interested in Linux on PS3 due to the lack of full CELL and RSX support, but I still think that Sony shouldn't block the option to install it. They've changed their marketing strategy without caring about the backlashes for some of the PS3 users. A typical corporate dickmove. :sad:
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby shengoro86 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:09 pm

I can't stand what sony did. Geohot lives very close to me and I've seen what that kind of a lawsuit can do to someone. He did very well in the courtroom though. Blocking Linux was the worst thing they could have did. If they didn't block Linux then Graf Chokolo would have never started reversing the hypervisor in the PS3. Graf does not deserve to go to jail.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:16 am

Wasn't Linux on PS3 just for tax/VAT discounts selling it as an 'educational product' rather than an entertainment product? They did something similar with PS2 and got stung by the tax office.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:32 pm

It's truly terrible what they did to Geohot and Graf Chokolo, but that's what you get for going against corporations, especially multinational conglomerate ones.

No matter how hard Sony's PR department tries to prove otherwise and no matter how cute their games can be, this is just a soulless corporation that will automatically try to destroy everything that goes against its will.
Last edited by Dorian on Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby shengoro86 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:52 pm

Not sure about the tax thing and yes, it was for educational purposes.

Yeah Graf got it really bad, but he went against parole so it is kind of his fault. George is a good guy personally but I still think that he shouldn't have made the key public. I'm surprised that failoverflow didn't get hit as hard.

Sony is just one big clusterfuK right now. Kaz Hirai is an idiot, and the other dude from the commercials that retweeted the PSP KIRK key on twitter is a moron too. I really miss the old Sony back from the PSX days.

O and just for fun, check out our awesome Sony in action!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH2w2l1JTs4[/youtube]
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby KiBa » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:34 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YuWLKQ5e54[/youtube]
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Mr. Frozen » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:24 pm

I am officially done with using Linux as a desktop OS. Tired of spending more time fucking around with my computer rather than doing something productive with it.

I still use Linux for servers, though. It is so fast and easy to set up any type of server under Linux. You also can't beat the price. ;) The other night I installed Debian, and set up a MySQL database, phpmyadmin to manage it (involves installing php and Apache web server), and transferred my minecraft server over in like 30 minutes ( excluding the time it took to download everything).
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ys » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:57 am

That's how it is for many people eventually. I even saw a guy on youtube who was a Linux fanatic "convert back" to Windows two years later or something. He got tired of having to struggle with screen capture software just to make his show. I myself use it on my netbook and sometimes on my laptop. For some reason my Windows versions have problems connecting with wireless. As a bonus it's a bit lighter for these machines. But my main desktop has Windows on it nowadays instead of the dualboot that I used to have.

I think the problem is that Linux has had some momentum but it keeps on taking too long to make some real progress. Often new versions break things or just aren't close enough yet for the mainstream to use it. Not having bigger games doesn't help of course. And some software and hardware for music production that I use just doesn't work with anything else than Windows.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic