Random Thoughts

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby OL » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:26 pm

I'd be curious to hear which roles he's played that he actually thinks highly of.
There are guys like Johnny Depp, for example, who literally won't even watch their own movies, but they still think highly of certain roles because of the actual experience they had playing them. I wonder if Oldman has any like that.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Rakim » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:14 pm

I read the interview and I was a little upset when I saw him talking negatively about his roles in the Sid Vicious, Beethoven and even Harry Potter movies. I love all of those things :sad:

He seems like he's too critical of himself.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Kenny » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:32 pm

He said he really liked his performance in the Oliver Stone movie JFK. That's about the only thing he praised.

He did say he was a perfectionist and that he occasionally walks down the street or something and gets an epiphany on how he could've played a certain scene differently. I actually like that, I really like how seriously he takes his work whereas other actors would just do it and be like "whatever, who cares". It's great to hear he just wants the very best performance in every role he takes, it sounds more like a director sensibility to me.

Given he directed one thing already and is geared to do another makes me incredibly interested now.

Kenny has received 3 thanks from: Henry Spencer, MiTT3NZ, OL
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Peter » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:10 am

I absolutely adore Gary Oldmans work. I'd love to know if he is seriously that critical of himself, or if he was just being modest. Either way, he is absolutely overdue an Academy Award. But on the other hand, I find those awards ceremonies so pompous and not reflective of what's good and what's not. I mean sometimes those awards are given to clearly the wrong people, where everyone in the world and their grandmother knew who should have really gotten the award. Like Martin Scorsese. Enough said.

Peter has received 2 thanks from: Henry Spencer, MiTT3NZ
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby OL » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:57 pm

^^I still think it's silly that Scorcese got best picture for The Departed, though. I'm not a huge fan of him otherwise anyway, but the fact that he won for that movie specifically is just laughable.

OL has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:15 pm

Agreed, Orange. Scorsese's better days were behind him at that point and Departed is seriously overrated. It was an apology award, definitely.

And to me, Gary Oldman has created such a vast array of characters, he's not just an actor playing a character, he is that character to me. Without him playing those roles they wouldn't be as memorable. Leon: The Professional has one of the best villains, Fifth Element does, his small role in True Romance is just brilliant, the list goes on and on. I find that even when he's in ensemble films like True Romance, JFK and The Dark Knight Trilogy, he still stands out as one of, if not the most memorable aspect of a movie.

I think at this stage he should try teaching acting, since I think actors have so much to learn off the guy in terms of becoming a character, there's almost nobody else out there who's that into it.

Henry Spencer has received 3 thanks from: Kenny, MiTT3NZ, OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Kenny » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:39 pm

The Oscars are all about politics. Which is why people bitched and moaned about why Crash won best picture over Brokeback Mountain. I thought Crash was a better film, Brokeback Mountain felt very stilted by comparison. If you want to watch a gay romantic film that feels authentic and tragic, watch Liberace Behind the Candelabra instead. It was fantastic but probably because it was based off the real man himself.

And if you ask me, The Wolf of Wall Street should've won Best Picture. That's probably my favorite Scorsese film, with Taxi Driver and Goodfellas right behind it.

Kenny has received 2 thanks from: Axm, MiTT3NZ
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:40 pm

I reckon Taxi Driver's one of the most overrated films of all time. Along with Scarface. And the Star Wars films. And pretty much anything DeNiro or Pacino ever starred in.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: OL
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Raithos » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:01 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote:I reckon Taxi Driver's one of the most overrated films of all time

[-X
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:14 pm

The best part about Gary Oldman is he's a Millwall fan. I've never seen him myself at a game and find it hard to believe his been recently but my old man said he see him down there back in the 80's. That's when he had only done some English films like The Firm. I have seen his sister though who for the fellow Brits is Big Mo in Eastenders. I did see Daniel Day Lewis when we went to Wembley though.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Kenny » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:01 pm

Was he method acting as a football fan?
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Jokatech19 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:33 pm

Wow. It feels good to be nearing a finish line of sorts after over 2 months of utter chaos. So much has happened, but it's finally all falling into place, as I also finish my big project.
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: AC: Revelations

Postby Sonikku » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:04 am

Got measured at the Endo yesterday. I was 5'10 a couple years ago. Now 5'7.9". I'm shrinking :sad:
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Kenny » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:57 pm

Going to Comikaze 2014!

Since it's gonna be Halloween, I'm gonna go in a makeshift Deadpool costume. I plan on making the thing look really cheaply tailored on purpose, like those imitators from The Dark Knight.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:04 pm

I have to start taking a foreign language next semester and am having serious trouble deciding what to take. I'd like to take Swedish but it's not offered at my university. My thoughts waver between German, Japanese, and Spanish but I can't decide -- these thoughts plague my mind because I don't wanna be locked into something (there's no going back) that I don't enjoy.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic