Linux Users

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Linux Users

Postby Gingefners, The » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:23 pm

Gboy wrote:
Gingefners, The wrote:
Gboy wrote:i don't get why people use linux, doesn't windows do a lot more

If only someone listed some of the pros of linux in a post before yours...

most of those can easely be achieved with windows not to mention the countless programs that are not linux friendly, of course he stated virtual box, but that kind of proves my point, if you need to emulate another os because yours won't run 90 per cent of the programs you want, why not just use windows and make your life easier, you can easely get the same security if you decide to look a bit deeper into it

Not really. It is much faster and more secure, just the nature of the beast when almost everything is designed to attack windows. Plus for pretty much all the programs linux can't run there's a free alternative that does the job just as well that can be easily found. You can still use windows too, if you want since duel booting is pretty damn easy. I'm sure the nerdier types will love the whole open source aspect too. While your question is valid, equally as valid is Why not use linux when it's free?
Gingefners, The
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: with myself

Postby R3N » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:27 pm

Gboy wrote:
Gingefners, The wrote:
Gboy wrote:i don't get why people use linux, doesn't windows do a lot more

If only someone listed some of the pros of linux in a post before yours...

most of those can easely be achieved with windows not to mention the countless programs that are not linux friendly, of course he stated virtual box, but that kind of proves my point, if you need to emulate another os because yours won't run 90 per cent of the programs you want, why not just use windows and make your life easier, you can easely get the same security if you decide to look a bit deeper into it

Windows will never surpass linux in these PRO I mentioned before

Linux is not better than windows and Windows is not better than linux
each ones have their pro and cons.I just take advantage of both of them.

Also with virtual box you can use Linux and windows at the same time and take advantage of both worlds
(Except some very complicated softwares like high graphic video games)
I use cube mode which is 4 different desktops in one I have linux in one desktop and in the other I have windows xp with just a shortcut I can switch between the 2.

I save all my work in the same folder in the same DATA harddrive no matter if I use windows or linux.
I use windows 7 ultimate and linux mint
I think is it smart to have 2 different OS in the same computer(If windows gets damaged you can still use linux to access your work)
So if you just going to use your computer for the common task that 95% of the time people use a computer for like:
browsing the internet
shopping online
watching videos on youtube
watching movies
listening to music
taking notes
web design
Doing school or office work(We have open office almost same as microsoft office)
Linux is simple better for those because it is faster.

But for doing professional work were you need an specific program to do your work like example autocad
Windows wins.Linux can run Autocad but it will never work as great as in windows because all major corporate software first work to make software work on windows and then they may port them to OSX then maybe to linux.

Windows wins for gaming too easily.
cons of windows compared to linux
1) If a software crash sometimes your whole system will freeze itself and you can't use the computer till the computer comes back to normal or worse you have no choice but to restart the computer....
(In linux only the program freeze the whole system will not freeze.)
Basically in linux the system and the program are individual.
2) blue screen of error... There is no such thing as a blue screen in linux
3)You need to do maintenance in windows atleast once a year or each 6 months like clear the registry, delete a lot of unnecessary files, defragment the hard drive, ETC (in linux no need the system will not get slow even if you install a lot of softwares
4) Security!! almost all virus,trojans, worms are made for windows
Almost no one will bother to make a virus for linux seriously how many people use linux? less than 2 million.
Windows like 500 millions+ (you got a lot of money in your bank account? or paypal? you care for identity thief use linux.)
5) linux start up is super fast it does not wait for softwares to load like windows does.

Basically
You want more speed?
You want security?
you want more battery life?( I get 2 hours battery life on linux normal mode in windows I get 1:20 on power saver..)
you want more stability(No program will crash your system)
Want more resources? more free ram and more free cpu? more hard drive space?(Windows keeps growing and growing eating your hard drive space Awful for laptops...)
you want more productivity(Sometimes windows better but if you a gammer that gets distracted and start procrastination when you should be working instead of playing linux best here)

Linux is PERFECT for Laptops :) for those reasons I mentioned before.
My advice is use it as Linux secondary OS but keep windows as main OS.
Right now Windows is my secondary OS
Last edited by R3N on Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R3N
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Bluecast » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:37 pm

Win xp sucks but win7 it darn good.
Some great freeware for like MS office without buying it at openoffice.org
All the same features. I have nothing against linux though. Whatever floats your boat.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby R3N » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:14 pm

Just try it is free why not? Is only 800 mb,
It is kinda fun using another OS.
Linux Mint 10 DVD 32-bit
http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=69
Linux Mint 10 DVD (64-bit)
http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=70
The problem with windows 7 is that is a hog is not good for laptops.
But Windows 7 is so superior against windows vista.
Windows 7 is excellent for desktops were you don't have to worry about resources.
Last edited by R3N on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R3N
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Bluecast » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:16 pm

As I said earlier I did try ubuntu couple years ago.
Besides not going to risk the new laptop
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby KiBa » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:20 pm

Try LibreOffice, a fork of OpenOffice. Nobody is quite sure if OpenOffice will last, and LibreOffice is totally community driven. Also, the team is planning on updating the interface and adding more modern features eventually.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:28 pm

Meh I can go on the internet and play Football Manager with W7.

It's quite odd most of the people I know who wet themselves over Macs really don't do much other then use the internet on them. I just think people get excited by features even if most are pointless.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby R3N » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:44 pm

I did install Ubuntu years ago and remove it.(At the time I didn't find a use for it and it was more complicated )
The fact is you have to get use to it takes time and patience but its worth it when you find a special use for it.
Linux has progressed a lot and has become a lot more user friendly.
Windows is more likely to damage your laptop than Linux lol

I am downloading Libreoffice Kiba looks interesting.

Linux is not the ultimate OS it has its flaws.Windows is good for everything but not best for everything
Linux is excellent for some areas but mediocre for some areas(like gaming) since you can't install many games on it.
I use it for work I find I am more productive using Linux than windows(too many distractions(games), slowdowns, programs crashing, etc)
Also It is faster and stable especially when I have many tabs opened in firefox and programs running at the same time.

Here is a guide for linux if someone is interested to become an expert.
http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

This is a nice command to know when you have to install a program from the terminal
First right click folder then choose open in terminal.
sudo apt-get install "software name"
example
sudo apt-get install timer-applet

Another command is
sudo nautilus it works great when you want to remove a folder but the folder is locked and you can't unlock it by going to properties then permission.
R3N
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby KiBa » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:19 pm

Those are basically the most useful terminal commands for the average user in Debian/Ubuntu-based operating systems. You can also 'sudo apt-get install nautilus-gksu' to get a right-click option in Nautilus to "Open as Administrator," instead of using 'sudo nautilus' in Terminal. Just don't forget to logout/login after the plugin installs.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby R3N » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:44 pm

Another great thing about Linux is backup.
1)Backing up my data in Windows is lots harder than backing up a /home or /username directory in Linux, because Windows seems to scatter data all over the place.

Linux is the most stable,secure and faster OS on the planet.
That is why 78% of the world's fastest super computers run on linux.
391 of the systems rely on Linux of one flavor or another -- far more than Unix (yesterday's supercomputing king), Mac OS X, Solaris, or any others. Microsoft Windows didn't even turn up on the list.
    http://www.top500.org/list/2010/11/100
Why in science labs like the The Large Hadron Collider (LHC)(They even created their own custom linux https://www.scientificlinux.org/ and nasa use linux.
Almost all websites runs on linux servers.

Why because Linux is like Linux is like Lego. You can build your own desktop environment. Both KDE and Gnome are just big packages with software aimed to look and feel the same way, work well together and generally give you a nice experience. If you dislike a component, then replace it with something else. It's that simple.

The only reason why Linux is not better than window is third party support.
That is why Windows will be the king for many years to come.

There I put a lot of info for anymore who wants to know about linux in this thread . (sorry If I put too much..)
R3N
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Bluecast » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:45 pm

Back up is easy with carbonite.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby KiBa » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:47 am

^ Yeah. As far as installed software is concerned, though, Windows and Linux are two radically different models. Every piece of software on Linux must always be up to date, or else everything breaks. Windows, on the other hand, is more flexible, but less portable. For example, the freedom of Remastersys on Debian/Ubuntu with a 20 minute complete backup of your system, software, settings, and files, into LiveCD or USB stick that can then be used live or reinstalled in 10 minutes is a hugely useful bonus.

R3N wrote:Linux is like Lego.

Speaking of which, this is fun:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/02/lego ... hits-beta/
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby R3N » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:33 am

Ryudo wrote:Back up is easy with carbonite.

In linux you just copy a folder called Home nothing else then paste it to your new computer.
all your files and settings are there.
Anyway Lets talk about the eye candy aspect of linux :)
Kiba what Skydome are you using?
I wish I had a Shenmue Skydome!
For those of you who don't know what Skydome is here is a video
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn2hY0tiGTE[/youtube]
I am not a fan of eye candy but is still something very nice that linux have
Here is a video of linux eye candy
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvfRpmqKRbs[/youtube]
R3N
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby KiBa » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:42 am

Pretty. Nice mountains. I use a dark stormy ocean skydome.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby R3N » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:19 am

Kiba have you used Linux Mint?
It a custom version of ubuntu
It is a lot better and simple than Ubuntu.
It is more windows-like not like ubuntu that is more mac-like.

Also it comes with most drivers installed needed and a lot more useful programs already installed.
Plus MintInstaller it is so easy to install programs with just a click.
Mint Custom Search is also very powerful.
I also notice Mint is faster and more light.
Custom Search + MintInstall is so Great!
You can use the search bar like in windows 7 and the installer will appear in the search result in a second just click it and it will install the software itself super fast.
Finally a Way to install program Faster and easier than Windows!
Software manager is ok but fails a lot and does not always wants to install certain programs.

Anyway here is a guide if someone needs it.
It is how to migrate all your software and create a backup to another computer or if you plan to make a new install
1) create backup & all your settings easy just copy the home file.
2)migrate your software

First, export your current package list on your old system:

sudo dpkg --get-selections > mypackages.txt

Then select this list as the packages to install on your new system:

sudo dpkg --set-selections < mypackages.txt

(For extra credit, copy your apt cache directory over to minimize downloads: /var/cache/apt)

Finally, tell apt to download and install the selected packages:

sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade
R3N
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic