I wish this was a joke

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Postby TEEPO™ » Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:58 pm

After doing some thinking... the new design doesn't look bad. It's the governments fault for turning the original Union Jack into a symbol of racism, thats why I'm so pissed off. The Union Jack is allso a fashion symbol, does that mean they'll have to change that as well? Anyone wearing the orignal will probably be thought of a rascist. What about the England falg? Or the Scotish flag? Anyone putting them up there window is a rascist? But its okay for different culters to their national flag up and not be accused of being ''rascist?' This is just fucked up.
It's like we all have to tip-toe around to be careful of not being rascist. When I called a black guy a ''black guy,'' I was accused of being rascist--WTF? But it's ok for black people to call white people ''white?''

I'm sorry for that, but I just had to get that out of my system.

TEEPO™ has received a thanks from: QWERTY
TEEPO™
Banned
Banned

Currently playing: with my sister

Postby ChaiOgawa » Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:01 am

Im not from the U.K or anything but that flag looks pretty damn awesome. The black striped really do add something to it. But why nwould they want to change a flag. A flag is the history to a country you just cant change it..
ChaiOgawa

Postby Dragonslayer88 » Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:14 am

Like everyone has said before, you shouldn't change a flag, it's our history, our heritage and we're gonna change our ways just cause of someone's idea to make a new flag!? I'm not racist but in general it's just a bad idea. If it's possible then everyone would change their flags. If adding black to the Union Jack is a good idea then why not add 25 black stars along with the 25 white ones in the US' flag?! I know I'm not speaking on behalf on every American but I think Americans would not like the idea. Even if it changes, I don't think it will make a bit of difference.
Dragonslayer88
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Silas » Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:55 am

Doesn't anyone else think that associating black stripes with the black population is actually insulting to non-whites? I mean, it's like defining that part of our culture entirely by the colour of their skin! I don't believe the national flags of the various West Indian, African and Indian countries from whence the majority of the British ethnic population arise, contain substantial amounts of black just because their populations are black!

A little bit of history here - it's really only over the last 30 years that the Union Flag was appropriated for political reasons by extreme right wing parties such as the National Front. This was supplemented by the Union Flag-heavy accoutrements (T-Shirts, scarves, bobble hats) worn by this country's biggest shame, our football hooligans, particularly when abroad. As a matter of fact the Union Flag is not nearly as inflammatory any more as it once was. Partly this was because the Cross of St George (the central vertical red cross), which is the flag of England alone, was sort of rehabilitated during the European football championships of which England were the hosts and one of the leading contenders, in 1996.

The Union Flag already symbolises Union, by its very nature. It is a superimposition of the flags of England, Scotland and Ireland. Ireland are now independent, and the Welsh flag was never included - nonetheless the flag has already it's symbolism of the Union of disparate parts, which is why it is not called the British Flag or the United Kingdom Flag, but the Union Flag. (And nicknamed the Union Jack.)

I believe that 2003 is either the 200th or 300th anniversary of its inception.
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Miles Prower » Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:06 am

This is too stupid for words.
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Hei Long » Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:09 am

Its just taking it too far. Think of all the effort of changing a flag and what for?
Hei Long
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Espio Clone » Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:53 pm

That is ridiculous. As an old poem I know, there ain't no black in the union jack.
Espio Clone
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Paul » Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:58 pm

Now y'see, the origin of that 'poem' as you call it is racist, and thats where this things come from. Although the new design does look sharp, this is a clear case of how political correctness can be taken too far.
Paul
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Malik Ishtahl » Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:40 pm

even though the new falg design is cool the reason why is just stupid. cause they didnt put red and blue in the flag cause of red and blue people
Malik Ishtahl
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

XBL: Dre4life90
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: GTA Online

Postby TEEPO™ » Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:45 am

I think its just a stupid excuse to snazz-up the syle a bit ;)

TEEPO™ has received a thanks from: QWERTY
TEEPO™
Banned
Banned

Currently playing: with my sister

Postby Daemos » Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:13 pm

lol. How bout a little yellow or green on the flag? (because there's green ppl too)
Daemos
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Juanfran » Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:57 am

Yeah, or orange for people like Dale Winton and Judith Chalmers? Underrepresentation!
Juanfran
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby goaliefrk » Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:24 pm

Another thing for African Americans, why are we calling them African Americans? Are they from Africa? No! They're from America, I mean, do people say, oh yea, he's British American, or he's Scottish American, NO, this is so stupid, I mean come on!
goaliefrk
Warehouse No. 8
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: skippitybeeboobop

Postby Juanfran » Tue Jun 17, 2003 4:54 am

What about Afro-Caribbean? Must be insulting to someone who has spent his entire life and ancestry in Jamaica, for example.
Juanfran
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Previous

Return to Off Topic