Football

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Postby GP 68-99-08 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:54 pm

:lol: Not having a go, Alien Dude... but you know what still gives me a sense of real pride about my team these days, even if the fear factor is supposedly gone, even if Arsenal are supposedly better...

The Scousers - still jealous of us, still prefer to see us lose than themselves win.

"The smaller clubs relish playing against Man U because they want to cause an upset" which isn't true at Anfield, is it? Southampton? :P
GP 68-99-08
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Glen6899
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby QWERTY » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:14 pm

Glen wrote::lol: Not having a go, Alien Dude... but you know what still gives me a sense of real pride about my team these days, even if the fear factor is supposedly gone, even if Arsenal are supposedly better...

The Scousers - still jealous of us, still prefer to see us lose than themselves win.

"The smaller clubs relish playing against Man U because they want to cause an upset" which isn't true at Anfield, is it? Southampton? :P

Thing is....

I'm not afraid to say that my team is shit (which it is).
Without Stevie G,we would be fucked.
We're a side that lives on past glories but still manages to produce the occasional world class player.
BUT,I simply don't like Man U due to their arrogance.What really made me hate them so much was when they snubbed the FA Cup to take part in the shabby world club cup in South America.
They basically rubbished the FA Cup just so they could make more money,which is basically all that Man U is about these days.
Liverpool aren't the same,they've won the same amount of stuff as Man U but yet they're not hated by all the other supporters (apart from Everton,which is obvious) because they're not a money grabbing 'corporation'.
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby MattyHAZUKI » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:25 pm

it's only the fa cup tho at the end of the day its pretty meaningless compared to the league and champs league.
winning it last year papered over the cracks of what otherwise was a wank season.
MattyHAZUKI
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby GP 68-99-08 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:53 pm

Alien Dude wrote:
Glen wrote::lol: Not having a go, Alien Dude... but you know what still gives me a sense of real pride about my team these days, even if the fear factor is supposedly gone, even if Arsenal are supposedly better...

Thing is....

I'm not afraid to say that my team is shit (which it is).
Without Stevie G,we would be fucked.
We're a side that lives on past glories but still manages to produce the occasional world class player.
BUT,I simply don't like Man U due to their arrogance.What really made me hate them so much was when they snubbed the FA Cup to take part in the shabby world club cup in South America.
They basically rubbished the FA Cup just so they could make more money,which is basically all that Man U is about these days.
Liverpool aren't the same,they've won the same amount of stuff as Man U but yet they're not hated by all the other supporters (apart from Everton,which is obvious) because they're not a money grabbing 'corporation'.

Fair points, at least you are honest. I agree with most of what you say, even the negativity towards United... the 'money-grabbing corporation' part is very true I must admit, and does annoy me as a United fan as well.

I don't feel at all valued as a fan and the club is far more interested in breaking markets in Asia and America than looking after the good, loyal British fans. It has put a small dampener on all our achievements I suppose.

As for the FA Cup pulling out... we were under enormous pressure from the FA and the Government to play in Brazil as it would boost England's 2006 World Cup host campaign, at this time still going strong.

This being a FIFA competition (like the World Cup), it would be looked upon very unfavourably if we pulled out and instead allowed a German team (the rival and eventual winning bid) in Bayern Munich take our place.

I suppose at a push, we could've been given a bye to enter at a later round, but then we would have a season consisting of more than 70 matches, an extraordinary amount that no squad could realistically cope with.

Unfortunately most people outside of United don't know this to be the case, but our hand was essentially forced.
GP 68-99-08
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby MattyHAZUKI » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:23 pm

thank fuck for van the man
MattyHAZUKI
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby PirateMuffins » Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:38 pm

United got lucky yesterday, and Liverpool played fantastic! :D

And Real Madrid got thrashed...*Sigh*
PirateMuffins
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Rhayno G. » Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:59 pm

Bah, who needs Real Madrid? I hate that club more than any, they make all of La Liga look bad IMO.
Rhayno G.
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby eddie_bo_jr » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:14 pm

hahaha, madrid lost to leverkusen, that's classic ! I'm happy all round, just about, real lost, barca won, arsenal won, man utd got a lucky draw, and chelsea and liverpool did a good job too.

That match over in Rome got a bit out of hand though with the match ending at half time, haven't seen anything like that for a while, but they seem to have problems with Italian teams' fans, like the Lazio ones when arsenal played there a few seasons back, they were done for racial abuse ( along with a couple of players )
eddie_bo_jr
Master of the Three Blades

Postby GP 68-99-08 » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:37 pm

PirateMuffins wrote:United got lucky yesterday, and Liverpool played fantastic! :D

There's a difference between luck and determination.
GP 68-99-08
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby eddie_bo_jr » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:47 pm

arsenal, chelsea and liverpool were determined - man utd were lucky ;)
eddie_bo_jr

Postby GP 68-99-08 » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:08 pm

eddie_bo_jr wrote:arsenal, chelsea and liverpool were determined - man utd were lucky ;)

How do you work that one out? I didn't see any of those teams claw back a 2 goal deficit in an intimidating atmosphere :?
GP 68-99-08
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby eddie_bo_jr » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:26 pm

lol, they were lucky ( it's what they're good at :lol: ), but hey, they drew so as a man utd supporter it shouldn't bother you how they got the point as long as they did - arsenal looked shakey towards the end of their game, but doesn't bother me cos they still won even if it was by an own goal
eddie_bo_jr

Postby GP 68-99-08 » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:39 pm

eddie_bo_jr wrote:lol, they were lucky ( it's what they're good at :lol: ), but hey, they drew so as a man utd supporter it shouldn't bother you how they got the point as long as they did - arsenal looked shakey towards the end of their game, but doesn't bother me cos they still won even if it was by an own goal

I'm sorry but I refute the 'luck' comment. You don't score two well crafted goals like we did to turn a match around in Europe, and then dismiss it as being fortuitous. We thoroughly deserved that point and we earned it.

You're right about Arsenal though. They dominated the first half but PSV looked like they might've nicked a goal late on.
GP 68-99-08
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby MattyHAZUKI » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:03 pm

lol, they were lucky ( it's what they're good at ),

yup all those premier league titles are because of luck :roll:
MattyHAZUKI
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby PirateMuffins » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:38 pm

Glen wrote:
PirateMuffins wrote:United got lucky yesterday, and Liverpool played fantastic! :D

There's a difference between luck and determination.

Ofcourse United had determination, i was just saying they got a little lucky as Lyon had a lot of chances and could've scored more goals, overall, Lyon played better, and deserved to win imo.
PirateMuffins
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic