What movie are you watching right now?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat May 17, 2014 10:43 pm

Well I finally watched The Avengers for the first time today. I have to say it was pretty awesome from an entertainment stand point. They mixed all these characters into one movie decently, it was hit or miss with the acting but all in all its about what you would expect from a comic book super hero film, and done pretty epically as well. It had its flaws, and a couple holes here and there, but still a very enjoyable movie. Hopefully i will get caught up on the Marvel movies that came after this one over summer.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Sat May 17, 2014 10:58 pm

OL wrote: ^^That reminds me, I need to buy Daimajin on bluray sometime soon. That series looks great.

That triple feature they have on Amazon is a great quality transfer, much better than my previous DVDs. And dirt cheap too.

Kenny wrote: This Godzilla hardly did anything.

Lies! Godzilla did, what Godzilla does!

Kenny wrote:In conclusion, I'm still pissed off over this movie.

I can tell lol. It's funny, not because you're pissed or didn't like it, but because my friend writes for TV (I know, not the same as movies) and hated it too. He analyzes things to the point he doesn't enjoy them, and doesn't realize it. And when he does, he gets very vocal about it. Back in high school he would have LOVED Godzilla (2014), but last night he spent 20 minutes at dinner telling us why we shouldn't have. I honestly think he can't just sit back and enjoy movies anymore
Last edited by Raithos on Sat May 17, 2014 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Sonikku » Sat May 17, 2014 10:58 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: Well I finally watched The Avengers for the first time today. I have to say it was pretty awesome from an entertainment stand point. They mixed all these characters into one movie decently, it was hit or miss with the acting but all in all its about what you would expect from a comic book super hero film, and done pretty epically as well. It had its flaws, and a couple holes here and there, but still a very enjoyable movie. Hopefully i will get caught up on the Marvel movies that came after this one over summer.

Avengers was good, but I would have liked to have seen a little more of, well ya know, the Avengers. The whole thing felt like "Iron Man and his AMAZING Friends". He's had like 3 movies already... Can't we see just a bit of some of those other guys? Hawkwho? :sad:
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat May 17, 2014 11:06 pm

^ I disagree, I would even go as far to say it may as well have been Thor 2. But the main characters seemed like it was Iron Man and Captain America. Tony Stark had to have alot of lines to spout his techno babble, also im pretty sure they knew his character would be acted out the best as well, downey jr does do a great job with him.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Sun May 18, 2014 12:05 am

Raithos wrote:I can tell lol. It's funny, not because you're pissed or didn't like it, but because my friend writes for TV (I know, not the same as movies) and hated it too. He analyzes things to the point he doesn't enjoy them, and doesn't realize it. And when he does, he gets very vocal about it. Back in high school he would have LOVED Godzilla (2014), but last night he spent 20 minutes at dinner telling us why we shouldn't have. I honestly think he can't just sit back and enjoy movies anymore

Okay, that's kinda douchey of him. I hate the movie but I've told people if they wanna see it, they should go see it. I wouldn't bother explaining why other people shouldn't enjoy it.

Plus this is the only blockbuster movie in recent memory I found downright atrocious. I didn't mind the new Robocop, I thought Pacific Rim was okay, I loved Rise of Planet of the Apes. This attitude of "if you analyze it too much it'll diminish your enjoyment" doesn't make sense to me, cause if that were the case I'd hate everything. I'd scrutinize everything to the point where I'd unrealistically expect it to achieve an impossible standard. I'm not sure if you're friend has that mentality, but it's not a good one to have.

I criticize because I see gaping flaws that prevent me from enjoying it and only want to see a more entertaining film than what I ended up seeing. I refuse to settle for anything less.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Sun May 18, 2014 12:18 am

I always thought Kenny a pretty level headed guy when it comes to criticism of things. He seems a little harder to please more recently, but that might just be, as he said, sort of a semi-newfound ability to dissect and identify his problems with things.
I still want to see Godzilla though.

OL has received a thanks from: Kenny
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Sun May 18, 2014 12:28 am

A series of 5 films inspired from real events to tell the story of how the modern yakuza came to be, A must watch for anyone interested in the Japanese underworld.

south carmain has received a thanks from: OL
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby OL » Sun May 18, 2014 12:53 am

^^Yeeeaaaaaahhh. Bomb diggity.
The second movie is my favorite. Need to watch that series again one of these days.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby mue 26 » Mon May 19, 2014 10:05 am

^ I think I have that movie on DVD lying around somewhere. Watched it when I was like 13 so didn't really appreciate it. Need to watch it again.

Saw 'Belly' recently. Man that is a rubbish movie. I have no idea why some people seem to consider it a "hood classic". It has about as much content as one of Hype Williams music vids. In fact, less so, as the vocals to the songs probably offer more of a narrative than Belly does lol. It's kind of bizarre too, like I'm sure there are scenes missing, and some scenes are just plain weird. The rip-off Scarface scene with the Jamaican drug lord guy spinning on his back like a tortoise with a machine gun blasting away a small army of suited and booted assassins is just so ridiculous and hilarious.

Also saw Before Sunrise after already seeing its sequels. Great film, and great romance trilogy.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Poetry in Motion » Tue May 20, 2014 4:14 am

Beyond Outrage

Poetry in Motion has received a thanks from: Axm
Poetry in Motion
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

XBL: chappers2009
Steam: chaperman12
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: FIFA 14 NEXT GEN

Postby Riku Rose » Tue May 20, 2014 4:53 pm

Kenny wrote:The worst part of the new Godzilla, it doesn't even have a Jamiroquai song in it.

Fuck!

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Raithos
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Kenny » Tue May 20, 2014 6:27 pm

Yeah, I know right!

What an outrage!
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Sat May 24, 2014 4:01 am

XMEN: Days of Future Past.

Pretty good movie. Definitely better than that stinking pile of dogshit that was Godzilla. But I couldn't help feel...underwhelmed.

Probably had something to do with the fact I didn't get enough of the original cast. Rouge and Kelsey Grammer's Beast didn't even appear 'till the end and Rebecca-Romajin's Mystique didn't even appear at all which really disappointed me.

Not only that, with the massive retconning happening (mostly to undo X3) they should've at least planted an explanation as to why Xavier and Mystique don't even bother seeing or mention each other in the future. Plus it felt...kinda short. Not very surprising since you're dealing with such a large cast, but I think if they meshed the original cast in more it would've felt more satisfying.

Those grips aside, entertaining film all around. Quicksilver was probably the best character in the entire film, damn I wish he was in it more. Probably another thing the movie needed, more Quicksilver. And Gambit, Gambit would've definitely been nice.

Oh yeah, but that post-credits teaser...I had to look it up to see what the fuck that was all about. But after I got some context, that's pretty cool stuff.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby mue 26 » Sat May 24, 2014 11:42 am

Documentary rather than a movie, but a great one on the history of Jungle music. Narrated by many of the old school Jungalist dons.

http://www.dazeddigital.com/artsandcult ... ngle-fever
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat May 24, 2014 12:04 pm

Man of Steel

Second viewing thanks to NowTV. Really enjoyed it, actually. Given, there was a lot of sci-fi mumbo-jumbo, but how else can you explain an alien sent from a mysterious planet with super powers..

For once I've seen something in Superman which makes him interesting. They nailed his story of how he'd struggled growing up being different which I turn meant it wasn't rushed or out of place when he fully becomes the Man of Steel ready to damage the world.

Great supporting cast in Amy Adams (who I adore), Kevin Costner and Lawrence Fishburne.

Appreciate for once the main enemy isn't a businessman in a suit. Has me more excited for the next film alongside Batman and Wonder Woman..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic