What movie are you watching right now?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Postby Kenny » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:40 am

Ewoks are the reason why I got into Star Wars.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Thief » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:27 am

Jar Jar Binks and Ewoks are absolutely fine -- complaints about them just make me roll my eyes nowadays.

What's bad are super lasersword glowstick fights, backflipping yoda "badassery", and lizard stallions.

I honestly don't care at all anymore if the prequels are bad. They exist -- and you gotta take the crunchy with the smooth, I suppose. There have been some interesting things as a result of the prequel trilogy, so all in all I think we're better off now that they exist.

Thief has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Monkei
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Monkei » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:51 pm

"Kingsman" is lots of fun. It's like the old Bond movies mixed with Kickass, something like that.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kenny » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:08 pm

Star Wars Episode IV.

Saw it in its entirety the other night. It's still a very good film, though it's funny cause I noticed that almost EVERYONE bitches at each other except for Obi-wan.

I thought it was amusing though, because of that I noticed the characters were saying and doing things that would never be accepted in today's blockbusters. Like C-3PO assaulting R2 multiple times, Luke screeching at 3PO to "shut up and listen to me" at the face of death by trash compacter, everyone yelling at Han telling him he's an idiot to shoot inside said trasn compacter. It felt more real, and it was all because Lucas told them all "faster, more intense". That really helped in the end.

The story still paced perfectly fine too and explained every single decision made by the characters well. And the model ship parts, as silly as they got when they rotated too fast, are still masterful to look at. Looking at it with a new perspective, especially knowing how fucked up the behind the scenes process was, I can empathize with Lucas wanting to change everything about it. Yeah, it was a bit TOO campy at times. Yes, those look like stickers on that monster's eyes on the cantina. Yes, I can see how making Han shooting first makes him too cold-blooded compared to how goofy he carried himself later.

But you know what? It's fine. It's all fine.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Rakim
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:46 pm

Finally started watching through the Battles Without Honor and Humanity series again. Finished the first film last night. Been a while since I last seriously watched it, but it still holds up for me. The middle 1/3 of the movie is still a bit hard to follow because of the insane amount of characters, doublecrosses, and "hits" taking place, but the beginning is still compelling as hell, and the last third of the whole thing is excellent, with Hirono becoming disillusioned with his "family" because of all the shit he's gone through. An absolute classic, and yeah, I'd still take this over The Godfather any day (it's frequently mentioned in the same breath as being the Japanese equivalent and all).
Only about a third of the way through the second movie, Hiroshima Death Match, at the moment, but it's all coming back to me why I used to think of this one as my favorite. Great flick so far, and Shoji Yamanaka really is a compelling character (being a down-on-his-luck, easy-to-agitate former kamikaze pilot and all that). Almost forgot that the actor playing him went on to be in Yakuza 4.
Just love this series.

And the bluray boxset is freakin' beautiful. Great packaging, excellent artwork all over it, and the included on-disc extras and the little book of essays is all fantastic. Really glad I preordered this and got it for only around 80 bucks because of it. Great deal.
Looks nice next to my old HVE DVD release of the series (and besides, the character relationships chart that comes with that one is actually better than the one in the Arrow Video box set.

OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:53 am

I'm staying far the fuck away from the Episode VII thread until tomorrow. I've been spoiler free for the most part save for one thing a certain someone shared on facebook (you know who you are).

I did finally revisit the final two films (and rewatched the first one again cause the other one was the special edition version).

Empire is still really good. I appreciate the movie more now as an adult than I did when I was younger. Especially since you can immediately watch Jedi afterwards. It's incredibly ballsy for them to basically go on a downer and end on a cliffhanger that would last three years. That was only possible when it was owned by Lucas and his company. If Fox had their mits on it, it definitely would've been much different in alot of terrible ways.

Jedi is still my favorite though. It has the right feel out of all of them. I love how there are so many creatures, many of them incredibly different from one another. I also love how you didn't always need a translation leaving you to either wonder or use the context of the scene to get the gist of what was being communicated unless it was plot pertinent (which in case 3PO or other characters would be used).

The Death Star II battle is still amazing. They nailed the visual effects with this one. It looks so dark and beautiful, though I always thought a couple of the SFX shots looked pretty shitty (i.e. the speedbike scenes). And honestly, the Ewoks are still perfectly fine. That what makes this film so great to me. You don't need to be childishly "daaawk and gweeeettieee" to have a feeling of epic and enormity. The fact you can go the evil Mobster space slug route, killing people ruthlessly left and right, to cute little forest creatures that eventually get picked off during their fight against the Empire makes this feel so authentic to me. Like in a large galaxy, such things can and would be possible.

I also love how each installment feels very different from one another, even if they do rip each other off and pay homage to one another from time to time. The stormtroopers look different. The same characters are placed in different stages of peril and growth. Even little things like R2 sounding a bit different are somehow oddly appropriate (even though that was purely accidental as they had to remake the sounds after the original studio got flooded).

And of course the music. Williams' score just sounds perfect in Jedi. Especially listening to the end credits now. There's a hint of somber and melancholy that only an '80s soundtrack can pinpoint perfectly. And I don't care what anybody says, Yub Nub is a great way to end the trilogy (especially when the score chimes in and swells to the traditional end credits theme). I hated that new age crap in the remastered one.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling the new one tomorrow will never come close to these three. But I'm hoping for something entertaining. I've been hearing nothing but great things so far.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Sonikku
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:05 am

Wednesday I watched all my Star Wars VHS, Ep IV-VI and Ep I. Will go see Ep VII some time this weekend. Analysis pending...
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:17 pm

I completed Die Hard 1-3 for the first time yesterday. I had no idea they were such Christmas movies as well.

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: OL
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:24 am

Kenny wrote: I'm staying far the fuck away from the Episode VII thread until tomorrow. I've been spoiler free for the most part save for one thing a certain someone shared on facebook (you know who you are).

I did finally revisit the final two films (and rewatched the first one again cause the other one was the special edition version).

Empire is still really good. I appreciate the movie more now as an adult than I did when I was younger. Especially since you can immediately watch Jedi afterwards. It's incredibly ballsy for them to basically go on a downer and end on a cliffhanger that would last three years. That was only possible when it was owned by Lucas and his company. If Fox had their mits on it, it definitely would've been much different in alot of terrible ways.

Jedi is still my favorite though. It has the right feel out of all of them. I love how there are so many creatures, many of them incredibly different from one another. I also love how you didn't always need a translation leaving you to either wonder or use the context of the scene to get the gist of what was being communicated unless it was plot pertinent (which in case 3PO or other characters would be used).

The Death Star II battle is still amazing. They nailed the visual effects with this one. It looks so dark and beautiful, though I always thought a couple of the SFX shots looked pretty shitty (i.e. the speedbike scenes). And honestly, the Ewoks are still perfectly fine. That what makes this film so great to me. You don't need to be childishly "daaawk and gweeeettieee" to have a feeling of epic and enormity. The fact you can go the evil Mobster space slug route, killing people ruthlessly left and right, to cute little forest creatures that eventually get picked off during their fight against the Empire makes this feel so authentic to me. Like in a large galaxy, such things can and would be possible.

I also love how each installment feels very different from one another, even if they do rip each other off and pay homage to one another from time to time. The stormtroopers look different. The same characters are placed in different stages of peril and growth. Even little things like R2 sounding a bit different are somehow oddly appropriate (even though that was purely accidental as they had to remake the sounds after the original studio got flooded).

And of course the music. Williams' score just sounds perfect in Jedi. Especially listening to the end credits now. There's a hint of somber and melancholy that only an '80s soundtrack can pinpoint perfectly. And I don't care what anybody says, Yub Nub is a great way to end the trilogy (especially when the score chimes in and swells to the traditional end credits theme). I hated that new age crap in the remastered one.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling the new one tomorrow will never come close to these three. But I'm hoping for something entertaining. I've been hearing nothing but great things so far.

I always liked that V had what seemed like an emotional cliffhanger, where you want to know what happens next but not so much in a crisis see-what-happens-in-the-next-instant kind of way like Hobbit 2 and 3 did. It's interesting to note that Ford was interested in killing off his character even as early as Empire, hence the carbonite. (with his fate to be determined based on whether or not he made another contract)

As for 6, it may not have been quite as strong in my opinion, but I think people underestimate the power of the finale. The climax was not so much the war between craft and machine as much as it was the struggle between Luke and his father. And in the end, love, not "might makes right" wins the day. In sharp contrast to OB1 and Yoda that just wanted Luke to give up on the good in Anakin Skywalker and make him into an emotionless Jedi assassin who would hunt down and murder his father with no idea who he ever was.

If you love the OT, give Battle for Endor a try. It's mostly Ewoks, but it has the look and feel of a lost Star Wars movie from the 80's.

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Kenny
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Kenny » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:32 pm

Yeah, people tend to forget the story is really about the Skywalkers. Sure the shit the Empire does affects everyone else in the galaxy, but that's not what we're focusing on. It's about a family torn apart and brought back together. It makes it more personal that way and I like it. I never thought of Obiwan and Yoda were using Luke to off Vader without revealing his true lineage. Makes you wonder if they were truly Jedi in the end or that's the reason why there is a light and dark side to the Force because it's so unbalanced.

Empire was also brilliant as it had a real feel of peril. Even though you know what happens, it was staged in a way where you really felt like Han is going to die and so was Luke. You don't get that in VII even though the you-know-whats-its happens. The feeling is just not there.

And yeah, I've seen both Ewok movies. They were the reason why I stumbled upon Jedi, cause I honestly thought it was another Ewok movie. The Ewok movies are dark as fuck too which was brilliant. I love the idea of cutsey characters getting put in situations where kidnapping and death occurred. It just made so much sense to me as a kid and it made even more sense seeing it in Jedi. That's the kind of shit the new trilogy will probably never achieve. Disney will want to play it safe too much.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:43 pm

Kenny wrote:Makes you wonder if they were truly Jedi in the end or that's the reason why there is a light and dark side to the Force because it's so unbalanced.

There's a really good Cracked article out there about how the Jedi are actually the villains of the series if you look at it the right way, especially in the prequels. They act like a government police force for the entire universe, and yet nobody elected them to that position, and they operate under no rules except the ones they themselves establish. They're pretty much dictatorial in a lot of ways.
I hadn't considered the angle that Obi-Wan and Yoda were using Luke to assassinate Vader either, but it's an interesting thought now that it's there.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:53 am

The thing with Jedi and Sith is that they're so obsessed with destroying each other that they tend to lose focus of everything else and become out of touch with the people. Yoda for his part represents everything that's wrong with the Jedi. At 900 years old and the over all leader of the Jedi for centuries, the order as it stands in the prequels is purely a manifestation of his guidance. (and even many of the masters that sit on the council were his own apprentices) He basically sat across the table from his nemesis every other day of the week for years without ever figuring out who he was. Despite Palpatine being able to conceal his dark side aura, one would think if Yoda were truly the wisest being in the galaxy that he slowly but surely would have put the pieces together over a decade+ through their constant exchanges and saw the terrible truth for what it was. But he didn't. He didn't even figure out that Anakin was getting tail on the side until just before shit went down. Things that were plainly obvious to everyone eluded the Jedi. The only Jedi that truly had a chance of seeing what was coming was Qui-gon, who actually listened to his instincts. But the council shunned him because he didn't constantly adhere to the code in all situations. Their chances of salvation die with him.

The Jedi are more focused with maintaining their power base than anything else. Their plan to launch a coup of the chanceller was driven more out of fear that he and the senate were legally voting away their power bit by bit than a grand realization that he was going to overthrow democracy. How ironic that Anakin of people, the worst of Jedi in history, has to lecture Mace on Jedi not killing their prisoners. Stringent and Dogmatic, The council demands absolute adherence to a code, except for when it no longer suits them. The worst part comes in Clone Wars when the council expels Ahsoka from the order based only on suspicion and extradites her to what they know will solely be a kangaroo court to better protect their reputations. Even when it is evident she was innocent the council simply passes it off as "the will of the force", shirking any responsibility. The council's problem isn't that they make mistakes. It's that they can't acknowledge them. No wonder they were too blind to see their nemesis for who he was.

Fast forward to the OT and just look at how OB1 and Yoda still behave. OB1 flatly lies to Luke about his father, manipulating him to hate Vader and not trusting him with the Truth. Later confronted with his lie, he passes it off as true, from a certain point of view. That sounds like something I'd hear out of a politician. :???: Not even when luke is leaving to face him and they're trying to make Luke stay are they willing to tell him the truth. The Jedi have basically told him nothing but lies to advance their agenda while Sith tell him nothing but truth, even when it hurts. Even when Luke knows, Yoda doesn't want to admit to it but finally grudgingly does when the matter isn't dropped. Yoda still tells him not to bother trying to save him however, claiming that once you start down the dark path there is no going back. Another lie. (or an instance of just being flatly wrong) Ob1 basically tells Luke to give up on the man that was Anakin Skywalker, that he's more machine than man. Everything these two old fogies have done has been to turn Luke against his dad and kill him. This is what makes Luke so endearing. He does not fall into either extreme, but finds an outcome no one from either side of the conflict had ever expected or considered. His love is ultimately what ends the Emperor and his rule, not his lightsaber skills or prowess with the Force. Perhaps being a true Jedi was never about denying love or feeling after all.

Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Ash » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:28 pm

I just watched Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva.

It was okay, it mostly felt fairly faithful to the game series, but I was a little disappointed with the lack of puzzles. Also, it annoys me how Layton seems to be regarded as almost perfect in the series. :???:
Ash
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kenny » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:20 pm

Die Hard.

The best christmas movie.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby GYO6161 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:33 am

Kenny wrote: Lethal Weapon.

The best christmas movie.

Fixed :king:

jk.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic