What movie are you watching right now?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Postby wude » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:40 pm

watching Arrietty right now

wude has received a thanks from: Rakim
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: m.a.m.e

Postby OL » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:17 am

Crank 2: High Voltage.
It's complete trash, but it knows it, and it takes absolute joy in being as classless as possible.
I had a fucking blast watching it. It's absolute chaos from start to finish, even more so than the first movie (which I also really liked). Granted, it does re-hash the first movie's ideas to an extent, but that's another place where Crank 2 seems entirely conscious of itself, and makes up for it by being even more manic in its presentation.
I literally have no clue what other people think of the Crank series, but I love it. Honestly wouldn't mind seeing another one pop up at some point, just to see if they could manage to turn the insanity up one more notch. I'm not even sure it's possible.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Jokatech19 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:27 pm

After being coerced, I finally watched Kevin Hart - Let Me Explain. It was very good. I thought he might be faltering, and I don't like how vulgar he's getting at times, but he really picked up steam at the mid-point. When he got emotional at the end, as funny as the show was, you were right there with him ready to shed tears. That was powerful.
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: AC: Revelations

Postby OL » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:08 pm

Iron Man 3.
Much better than I would have expected. Probably the best of the three. Action was excellent, personality was all there, and the story doesn't come off anywhere near as silly as it could have. I also like that they made Tony Stark incredibly nervous and prone to freak-outs after all the crazy shit he'd seen in The Avengers. Nice touch which brought out a bit of humanity in the character.
It's still crazy to me that after almost fifty years of existence Iron Man had barely even registered as a blip on most people's radars, but after these movies, he's easily become one of the biggest superhero names in the world. Granted, much of that comes down to Downey being so fun to watch, but it's still impressive for a half-century-old franchise anyway.

On a separate note, I saw a small excerpt from the first Thor movie (which I still haven't seen all the way through yet) on tv yesterday, and it came off just as silly as I always figured it would. Maybe that thought would change if I saw the whole thing, but I always thought Thor was a dumb character anyway, so it's doubtful.
I can take him in an Avengers movie since he's alongside so many other more fun characters, but on his own?
Ehh...
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Rakim » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:27 am

Machete Kills

I really liked the first one so I was pretty upset how shit this one was. There was so much potential, but the script was all over the place and there wasn't enough Mel Gibson.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:36 am

^^Still haven't seen the first, but as soon as I saw in a trailer that the second has Sofia Vergara with gun boobs... that's just too much of a double-whammy cheese sandwich for me. Gun boobs might work on someone else, but Vergara is just too one-note to pull it off.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:28 pm

The Grandmaster. Easily the best cinematography I've seen in a year.

Rakim wrote: Machete Kills

I really liked the first one so I was pretty upset how shit this one was. There was so much potential, but the script was all over the place and there wasn't enough Mel Gibson.

You had to laugh though when Mel showed Machete his ride. :P
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Rakim » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:53 pm

^
the hovercraft?
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sonikku » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:40 pm

Yeah. :P A lot of star wars references in that one.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Kenny » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:31 am

Frozen.

For a movie that made a billion dollars worldwide and won two Academy Awards, I was surprised by how shit it was. Man, the story SUCKED SUCKED SUUUUUCKED. It's a pretty film to look at, but what mainstream movie isn't nowadays?

I have to say the award was probably warranted for the original song, cause it is pretty good (though I haven't heard its competition) but the only thing that really stood out was a snowman that wants to experience summer. But even then they didn't do much with it, just a song and dance then a bad joke and off with the story.

I can pick apart everything I thought was slapped on and sloppy, but I won't even bother. Even Brave was much better by comparison and I hated that movie. At least that one had direction, albeit really crappy and facepalming direction but direction nonetheless.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Rakim
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Rakim » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:00 am

I watched it recently too and was let down a bit. The hype had me expecting so much and while it was fun for what it was it wasn't billion dollar award winning fun. I was particularly let down by how mediocre all of the songs were. I did really like Olaf the snowman, though.

I'm gonna have to watch it again to see if the music will grow on me.

Rakim has received a thanks from: Kenny
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Thief » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:17 am

What in particular sucked about Frozen -- other than it had no direction (which I don't really understand what that means).

It's my favorite movie this year (other than maybe prisoners) so I can't help but disagree with ya'll a little bit here. Oh and Brave was shit and much much much worse than frozen.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:38 am

^Speaking of Prisoners I watched that film last month and didn't get all the hype. Me and my friends got it because it was in the top 250 on IMDB but I really don't see what was so special about it. It wasn't a bad film by any stretch of the imagination but I didn't feel it was anything special. It felt like one of those films you would forget about in a few years even though you thought it was half decent.

Anyway going to a preview event for the Captain America tomorrow so that should hopefully be good.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Kenny » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:42 pm

What I meant by direction is that Brave was consistent about its story to take it into one direction, girl's mother transforms into a bear and has to travel to break the spell. Simple enough. It's really crappy and a perfectly good waste of a heroine film...but at least I can easily tell how it went.

Frozen was...a girl named Elsa has powers but then is told not to use them after hurting her sister and then is locked in a room in her house who never gets into contact with her sister Anna for years (what?), then Anna instantly falls in love with a guy...who later turns out to be evil, even though there was no indication of that before...then Elsa comes out into the limelight for the first time in a long time and becomes queen (?) then promptly turns shit into ice and get ostracized...then is content all of a sudden with being alone...then Anna goes off to find her sister by herself with no indication that she ever ventured outside the kingdom before...then there's a blonde guy and his moose...and the snow man....

And before you know it, I was 40 minutes into the movie and I still had a feeling of "when is it going to start?" So is Elsa just misunderstood? Then why does she all all aggressive with Anna to the point of violence when her whole thing was she was afraid to hurt her? Why are they trying to kill Elsa? Are they afraid of her? Is there a more sinister plan I totally missed, and if I missed it...why wasn't it mentioned in the plot earlier? Why was the blonde guy, who I presume from the kid from the start, introduced to the story that late? How can you be locked in a room for years and expect me to believe the sisters had little to no contact...? It's not like it was a hidden dungeon.

Ugh, Tangled and Wreck it Ralph were so much better. I couldn't tell what Frozen was trying to get across other than "don't be afraid to be yourself".
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:59 pm

See Captain America 2 and really enjoyed it. Would say it's up there with some of the best films in the Marvel series. Also if anyone waits for the after credits stuff there are two different scenes, one halfway through and another after the second set of credits finish.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic