General Anime Discussion

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: General Anime Discussion

Postby Miles Prower » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:50 pm

I just finished watching Steins;Gate (which is actually based on a game), which is about time travel, kind of a slow start but it kicks into high gear in the second half, been watching on Netflix and watched several in one sitting, so really had me gripped. The theme song is also permanently stuck in my head...
phpBB [video]

Miles Prower has received a thanks from: Joe Pesci
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby OL » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:27 am

Sweet!
It looks like a new tv series is being made based on the old Ushio & Tora comics. Fantastic news to me, since I absolutely love the OVAs of it from the 90s.
Best thing of all, they're actually retaining the same basic art style that was in the original comic and older anime, so it doesn't turn me off with its visuals like so many newer animes do.

Really hoping someone like Funimation or whatever picks this up for western release, so I can eventually have a bluray of it. The show may not have even started yet, but I have no doubt at all that I'll enjoy it.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby silent killer » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:37 am

Maybe I have been gone from here for too long. Anyway some possible exposition on your quandaries.

Jesse wrote:
Time for the gripes and questions with the season to begin:

1. Yui I never warmed up to her. It probably has to do with her starting out with amnesia and I feel like that's too over done in anime so that put me off. I tried but I never cared for her. I felt like it was the writers way of the lovebirds having a child without actually having one in the vr world if that's even possible to begin with.

2 the introduction of characters in the same episode where they would end up dying. This happened quite a bit and I never got attached to them.

3 the second half they nerfed Asuna and made her a damsel in distress. The general episodes of the second half and the cliche princesss in a tower storyline was extremely disappointing. The bright spot is I dug the villain Oberon what little they showed of him.

4 I felt like they could have shown more of what was happening in the real world and how the families are dealing with the whole ordeal.

Here's when the questions begin: since Kayaba kills Asuna in episode 14 shouldn't she be dead for good in real life as well? Also he kills kiritio but then he reappears and slays Kayaba. I never understood how he came back from the dead? Last question is when the players are moved to the hospitals and are off line for a few hours shouldn't they have died with the way the headset is?

I teeterd between very good and good feelings with this anime which is a first for me. In the end its a 3 out of 5 rating which is good but not great.

1. Yes
2. Unfortunately, some things were left out of the anime that were in the books. Although, to be fair, the earlier revisions of the books were very thin on character development as well. I imagine for the anime writers, it was like trying to squeeze water out of a rock. In that regard they did rather well.
3. Oberon did actually nerf her stats.the greater pity was that they cut out the whole part where Kirito and Leafa were in Nifleheim

As far as Asuna and Kirito dieing, yeah, that was some bullshit. And for moving everybody to a secure location, it's kind of bs but apparently while Kayaba was explaining to everyone in the game that they were all now trapped in said game, his assistant somehow managed to inform police, hospitals etc. that he's has essentially taken their family member hostage and that he will give them a small leeway to get them to a hospital or somesuch. Needless to say not everyone made it to a safe place because they were in some remote location and just slowly died away, or they tried taking the helmet off them, killing them instantly.

OL wrote:So Eureka Seven is a little disturbing if you think about it too hard early on.
Yeah. The good guys are basically pirates. If you did watch more of it, it does go into further detail about why everyone on the Gekko is the way they are. It is rather depressing, but it fills so many gaps in the earlier plot. I don't know if you've seen the sequel series either. It's not so great. I've seen worse, but unless you are really into Eureka Seven you won't like it. I barely tolerate it, and I love Eureka Seven.
silent killer
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

XBL: arcane devices
Currently playing: Cross Code

Postby santino » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:14 pm

I never really got into anime but I watched every episode of initial d and samurai champloo.

santino has received 2 thanks from: AnimeGamer183, myshtuff
santino
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Rakim » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:10 pm

An "Otaku Purity Test" from the 90's that I stumbled upon. Too bad it isn't possible to submit and get your results anymore.

http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~belgin/otaku.html

Funny, pathetic and nostalgic all at the same time.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby myshtuff » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:04 pm

santino wrote: I never really got into anime but I watched every episode of initial d and samurai champloo.

2 of my favorite animes right there.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:01 am

So I went to see Dragon Ball Z Resurrection F on opening night at the theater last week and that was a good bit of fun. Later I also watched a special I had not seen that came out for Shonen Jump fest ill post below becuase it never got an official release here it is also a bit of fun too and is on youtube with japanese with english subs, I am also a fan of the japanese version of dbz because I was watching the fan subs even back then, I was watching cell saga in 1998, local anime store held all of dragon ball z/GT all for rental either dubbed with the most current official VHS US release at the time or japanese with english subtitles, I fell in love with watching anime in japanese shortly after that as DBZ was actually one of my first ones. Next up, time to watch Dragon Ball Super, the new Dragon Ball anime! FUCK YES FINALLY I HAVE BEEN WAITING ON THIS... I hope its good.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Three Blades » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:13 am

DB Super is AMAZING, much better than I expected. So far they seem to be retelling the 1st movie (well, the first of the NEW movies). I hope they move past that fairly quickly. I missed the last 3 episodes because I had stuff to do on sunday mornings for the last couple of weeks, but I'll be catching up this week (hopefully they're on torrents by now).
My favorite bits are when they show the characters in normal, everyday situations, like in the 2nd episode, when Vegeta went to an amusement park with his family, causing a bunch of funny shit to happen.
Is there a better way to start a Sunday than watching a brand new DB on TV in the morning? I think not! I was worried when they announced it a few months ago, but now I'm hooked.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:22 pm

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... engagement

Resurrection F has broken box office records it seems, so they are expanding theaters and screenings of the movie over its last couple days at the box office. Glad to hear an anime and especially dragon ball has done so well in the theater, I have always loved going to see anime movies in the theater and I have seen a good few in theaters too.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby fittersau » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:02 am

Just picked up Time of Eve and Captain Earth to watch in the near future.

Finished Nadia: Secret of Blue Water... after 2 years trying it. Pretty good. I can see why people call it the prelude to Evangelion. Not quite the same head case as Eva though, but sometimes out there and more grounded.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Calshot » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:00 pm

Serial Experiments Lain.

I remember watching it on PBS back in the late 90s-early 2000s, but I was a bit too young to really get what I was watching. I just re-watched it as an adult, and it holds up quite well.

Calshot has received 2 thanks from: AnimeGamer183, silent killer
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby Bambi » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:42 pm

Bakuman
"Moritaka Mashiro and Akito Takagi are pretty much foils of each other. Mashiro, an average 9th grade student but talented artist, and Takagi, an overall advanced 9th grader and aspiring writer. After great convincing, Takagi convinces Mashiro to join him in becoming the greatest mangakas Japan has ever seen."

Just got done with this, I always feel saddened upon finishing slice-of-life anime and despite some small gripes I enjoyed it enough overall.

Bambi has received a thanks from: Rakim
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby south carmain » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:00 am

Been watching Gangsta. It's pretty good, kinda gives me a black lagoon vibe.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby myshtuff » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:09 am

Watched the first episode of Galaxy Express 999 the other day. I don't know why but I love old 70s anime. Has such a distinct style and mystery to it.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Calshot » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:15 am

Anybody know the difference between the original Ghost-in-the-Shell series and the Arise versions?

I want to get into the series and the Arise versions are on Netflix.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic