General Anime Discussion

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: General Anime Discussion

Postby Nuke » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:20 am

I've been watching Parasyte. Feels kinda slow recently, most likely due to the semi-weekly episode breaks for the last four weeks.

Aldnoah looks like it's going to be even more ridiculous with "let's see how to resolve the situation" this season, though. Yay.
Nuke
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:04 pm

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... way/.83416

Ghost in the Shell Singer Origa Passes Away

Voice actress Jenya reported on her official Twitter account that singer Origa (birth name Ol'ga Yakovleva) passed away on Saturday due to lung cancer. She was 44 years old.

Russian-born Origa first came to Japan in 1991 on a home-stay program, and made her major debut in Japan in 1995 under the EMI Music Japan label. She performed theme songs for Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society, Fantastic Children, and Princess Arete. She also performed the hymn singing voice for the character Kanon in Gust and KOEI Tecmo Games' Ar nosurge PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita video game, which shipped in Japan last year.

Origa attended Vancouver's Anime Revolution convention last August as a guest.

I highly enjoyed her work RIP :-({|=
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:31 am

Jesus, that's really sad. I took specific notice of most of the singers on the SAC soundtrack, and aside from the fact that Ilaria Graziano is my actual favorite singer, Origa always stood out as having an insanely strong range and control over her voice. Amazing singer. And at such a young age, I never would have expected to hear anything like this about her.
I mean... lung cancer? I can't even begin to believe that she was a smoker; you don't smoke to the point of getting cancer, and still have a voice like that. Must have been hereditary or something.
RIP, absolutely. All the best to her loved ones.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Rakim » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:57 pm

Detroit Metal City

Highly recommended if you're in the mood for a comedy. It has a kinda Adult Swim feel to me.

Plot summary from ANN for those interested:
Detroit Metal City (DMC) is a quickly rising independent death metal band. They garner fame by performing wild live shows and writing songs filled with hate, violence, and rape. The band is fronted by Sōichi Negishi, who takes on the stage name Krauser II. On stage he is a wild, unchained beast. Off-stage he is a tranquil, tender-loving person who enjoys Swedish pop music. He hates himself as Krauser and his two personalities collide, making his private life very difficult.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby AhmedHazuki » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:53 am

Stopped watching Naruto, it just had way too many flashbacks for me to enjoy the fights. Now watching Zankyo no terror. It's a well written anime that is very unpredictable.

AhmedHazuki has received a thanks from: Jokatech19
AhmedHazuki
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: ahmedhazuki
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Infamous,Darksiders.

Postby Jokatech19 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:38 pm

AhmedHazuki wrote: Stopped watching Naruto, it just had way too many flashbacks for me to enjoy the fights. Now watching Zankyo no terror. It's a well written anime that is very unpredictable.

Thank you. I commend you for holding on this long. It's sickening that they persist in doing that. I thought the final battle was going to happen for several years now. I waited a long time myself, and I stopped watching a couple of years ago, so it's pretty amazing for it to be dragging since then.
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: AC: Revelations

Postby Sonikku » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:15 am

The filler is retarded at this point. I guess they didn't get the memo that the manga is finished. And Anime is notorious for characters having flashbacks and thinking about stupid stuff in the middle of a fight, where the villain presumably does nothing but twiddle their thumbs. But shippuden takes it to a whole other level. Its reached a point where Sakura is like "Wow, Madara just totally inflicted a mortal blow on Naruto. And now he's coming for me next. Hey I remember when... remember when... *trails off to the good ol' days of the chunin exams*". And I'm like.

:roll:
Dude. Should prolly' be focused on the harbinger of darkness about ready to rip your gizzard out. :lol:
I think at this point after ten years I just want closure. But after sticking with it for so long, it's hard to walk away.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:58 am

Yeah, I am also ready for closure from naruto as well, I started watching the damn show in 2002 for christs sake. I dont watch the new eps every week, but every so often i watch like 3-6 eps at a time and im still a little ways from being caught up to the current episodes. I love the show and always will, the flash backs are understandably annoying to some but I some how dont mind them for the most part, I mean I have been watching the show this long.

Did they really start another season of filler and its airing in japan now, or soon to start airing? If so, thats really unfortunate because that means i will have to stop watching the show all together for an extended period of time. Naruto is a really annoying show to try to go back and find your place in the episodes if you forgot the last episode you watched since there are soooo many damn episodes. As good as naruto is, its tainted due to all the filler, and makes you constantly lose interest then gain interest back in the show, blah.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Chaos » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:56 am

So glad I never got into naruto or any of the other super long 10,000 episode animes

Longest I've ever seen is inuyasha :suicide:

I've been thinking about giving hunter x hunter a try, since I guess it's made by the same people who made yu yu hakusho.
Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue II, AC:NL

Postby Raithos » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:19 pm

phpBB [video]

So fucking awesome. I had a hard time getting up from my desk after watching this. Too bad its not real.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Jokatech19 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:09 pm

Chaos wrote: So glad I never got into naruto or any of the other super long 10,000 episode animes

I've been thinking about giving hunter x hunter a try, since I guess it's made by the same people who made yu yu hakusho.

I definitely think anime's with that many episodes tend to lose steam. One of my favorites and longest I've watched is Rurouni Kenshin. That was where the cut off point should be- around 95 episodes. Imagine collecting the Naruto series. It'll be like Seinfeld on Steroids.
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: AC: Revelations

Postby Chaos » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:19 pm

Jokatech19 wrote:
Chaos wrote: So glad I never got into naruto or any of the other super long 10,000 episode animes

I definitely think anime's with that many episodes tend to lose steam. One of my favorites and longest I've watched is Rurouni Kenshin. That was where the cut off point should be- around 95 episodes. Imagine collecting the Naruto series. It'll be like Seinfeld on Steroids.

My favorite is yu yu hakusho which was 112 episodes

I think up to 150-200 isn't terrible, but any more than that is excessive imo.
Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue II, AC:NL

Postby Sonikku » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:35 pm

One Piece is like 600 episodes but I heard nothing but good things about it.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:40 am

I picked up the recently released Blu Ray of Studio Ghibli's Tales From Earthsea just because it looked appealing to me. What a gorgeous piece of film, it had some good english voice actors but the pace of the story kind of sputtered at parts, it still tells a good tale and looks great the entire time, but there are some some what boring parts, I kinda zoned out through parts of the movie. I will give it another watch some time soon and watch it in japanese with subs.

Also, props to disney for continuing to release studio ghibli's movies even knowing they are shut down now.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:08 pm

^I thought it was pretty crap as Ghibli films go, but the books it's based on are excellent if you like fantasy. It was made by Miyazaki's son though, not by him (which doesn't bode well for the future)
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic