General Anime Discussion

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: General Anime Discussion

Postby OL » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:57 am

Just an update of sorts:
They revealed the details for the Funimation.com exclusive version of the Cowboy Bebop bluray set, but it's kind of lame. Seemingly the only stuff that makes it special is that it's going to have special packaging made to look like a record album, and an easel to display it with. Some art cards or something too, but y'know... they're cards. That's about as "blah" an extra as you can get.
So yeah, like I said, pretty lame. You'd think for a classic series like this they'd really go the extra mile, but it seems they prefer a mundane route instead. It doesn't even come with the art books that the Amazon edition will have. Hell, it even costs less. Kinda strange for an "official site" special edition.
http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/ShopPro ... override=1
Whatever, I'm opting for the Amazon edition.

EDIT: Shitty balls.
Having finally seen that this one is nothing special, I went back to order the Amazon one... and they marked the "sale" price back up by twenty dollars.
What the fucking fuck, man? I waited because I just wanted to see what my options were, and now they pull this crap.
That is really, truly a giant "fuck you" to customers. Whoever ordered earlier will still get the lower price, but me? I get fucked over for being patient.

OL has received 2 thanks from: AnimeGamer183, Raithos
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby elfshadowreaper » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:53 am

That's so disappointing. I also saw they had marked it up $20 on amazon. After waiting this long for bebop on bluray I'd hoped it would have better stuff with it. I'd much rather several hours of making-of featurettes than collectible stuff. It never fails when I get any kind of printed bonus items I end up throwing them away just to declutter the house.

I've been holding off watching bebop until the bluray is released. I'm going to have to watch the movie when I'm done here just to tide me over.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:56 pm

Yes, I was also waiting to see my options and I saw that mark up the other day, the reasons to boycott amazon are piling up now. Sadly im probably gonna be a little bitch and order it from them anyway, cause it really is an awesome looking set, and I have never owned bebop which is basically a mortal sin for me as such a big anime fan, and it being one of my all time favorites anime, or other wise.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:12 am

I don't even think it only has to do with Amazon. I think part of it is Funimation as well. It's a little too suspect that right when they announce their official site edition, the markup happens. In the preorder stage manufacturers still have a say in these things, so I think it was coordinated that way for whatever dumbass reason.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:13 am

Just keep checking back, it'll go on sale again at some point. But you guys know it cost zero dollars to pre-order from Amazon. Anytime you see something that you think might sell out and you could possibly want later or something that is marked down on sale go ahead and add it to your cart just in case. That was one long ass sentence. I bet the set that looks like a record will end up being sweet as hell, and end up costing more later down the road. My DVD's look like little records. Its got Watanabe's Autograph too.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby OL » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:50 am

Nah, it's just a print of his autograph on one of the cards. If it were genuine, I'd totally spring for it.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:06 am

OL wrote: I don't even think it only has to do with Amazon. I think part of it is Funimation as well. It's a little too suspect that right when they announce their official site edition, the markup happens. In the preorder stage manufacturers still have a say in these things, so I think it was coordinated that way for whatever dumbass reason.

Well, to be fair, it was a few days before hand, that mark up happened like tuesday or wednesday when I was trying to find out when the funimation website version would be posted (like 2 or 3 days after they originally put that item on amazon, bastards...). Also what may have caused it was that blu ray set shot up to the number 1 position in the blu ray category, not just the anime category, but all blu rays. But I dont think it has much to do with Funimation, look how much the blu ray set is on their official website, $64.99, thats even cheaper then the original price for the amazon version that was 69.99, seems very unlike funimation to do something like that, they are beating amazons price? it just doesnt seem right. Its also curious why amazon is getting their own special version of it as well.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:19 pm

Finally watched the first episode of Nadia: Secret of Blue Water. One of those old classics that people more "in the know" seem to love, so I thought I'd give it a try on youtube (had to settle for the english dub, which is pretty laughable, but it wasn't too bad).
Pretty good little show so far. It turned out to be a little more on the "goofy cartoony" side of anime than what I was expecting, but it certainly wasn't annoying by any means. I enjoyed it a lot.
Thinking of grabbing the bluray set. Pretty good mark-down on amazon at the moment (though that still leaves it at fifty bucks). Only thing making me a little apprehensive is the fact that it's the work of Hideaki Anno, the director of Eva. And since Eva is the only other thing I know of by him, it puts kind of an odd set of expectations in my mind...
I mean, I really don't think Nadia will get all pretentious or whiny or disproportionately serious; it doesn't feel like that kind of show, based on the first episode. But I guess it's possible. I'll have to watch it to see.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby elfshadowreaper » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:26 am

Since we're already kinda talking about Cowboy Bebop in here I'll ask this question here rather than in the gaming forum. Have any of you ever played the video game for PS2? Was it subtitled? I specifically remember seeing it on the pre-order list at Best Buy in like 2006, and then it just dropped off the face of the Earth...at least this side of the Earth. I really want to play it, but my Japanese is incredibly limited.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby OL » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:03 am

Yeah, it never got released in English. Every time I glance over at my game shelf and see the Samurai Champloo game, I think to myself "how the hell did we get that but not Bebop? Bebop was so much more popular!"
I mean, sure, it didn't look like the greatest game in the world; the gameplay looked competent, but it seemed to lack much "oomph". Still looked plenty playable though. And the most important thing wouldn't even have been the gameplay; it'd have been the aesthetics. The whole voice cast was on-board (and hopefully they'd have been able to get the same in English), the writers were, and Yoko Kanno even returned to do the music for it. Woulda been a dream come true. Most of the music is just swiped from the show, but there were a few original tracks in there as well, two of which featured my favorite singer, Ilaria Graziano. I've imported the CD featuring those songs, but it would have been nice to hear them in-context with the game. Here's one of them:

phpBB [video]

If you want, there is a fansub of the cutscenes on youtube. I've never watched all the way through it myself (still a little bitter about not actually getting the game), but it seems pretty good, aside from the crappy video quality.

phpBB [video]
OL
Shenmue III

Postby elfshadowreaper » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:48 am

It was probably just because so many years had elapsed since Bebop was at the height of its popularity in the US while Champloo(which was ok, but it couldn't compare to Bebop) was still fresh. I'd just like to play it for more Cowboy Bebop story. Any time spent with the characters is a bonus. I may see if my current computer can handle playing a iso of the game or something.

Years and years ago I tried to play the PS1 game. My computer couldn't quite handle it so it ended up looking really weird. Like a trippy screen saver or something.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sonikku » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:11 pm

OL wrote: Yeah, it never got released in English. Every time I glance over at my game shelf and see the Samurai Champloo game, I think to myself "how the hell did we get that but not Bebop? Bebop was so much more popular!"

The localization department at the time was being run by Vicious. :sad:
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby OL » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:55 pm

#-o
That was like a youtube comment about why a video has one dislike. :P
OL
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:13 am

So I tried watching a bit of Attack On Titan. It was on tv in marathon-form, so I flipped back and forth between it and something else.
Admittedly I didn't watch it straight through. And what I did watch had nothing but the english dub on it, which is terrible. But I just have to say, good lord, could this show be anymore ridiculously melodramatic? It takes itself waaaaaay too seriously for such a silly concept. It's nothing but people freaking out and screaming their heads off while making this face:

Constantly.
And not just that; there's a ridiculous abundance of unnecessary speed lines too.
Not even during action. Just when people are talking.
It reminded me of Golden Boy, and I'm pretty sure that wasn't the intention. I mean, Golden Boy is fucking awesome, but I don't think a way-too-serious show like this is trying to emulate it.
So yeah, I've seen enough. Honestly not interested.

The only thing that has me vaguely interested is why the Titans all look like smiling, naked Japanese businessmen. But for all I know, that might have just been something they explain early on. I'll just look it up sometime.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Rakim » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:58 am

Cool anime kickstarter I just found out about.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13 ... er-the-dog
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic