General Anime Discussion

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: General Anime Discussion

Postby Jesse » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:13 am

I recently decided to get back into anime. I have seen Your Lie In April atleast 3 different times and absoulety adore it with each viewing. I tried to get into Orange and bounced off of it at episode 7. The story & characters were fine but eh. I tried to get into cowboy bebop and never could though the music was nice.

The first anime I really ever truly got into was Inuyasha which so much in fact that I used to watch new sub season dvds that i borrowed from friends. That's the only time I've ever done that before. I've also seen rurouni kenshin and tenchi muyo as well.

I just finished Future Diary tonight and I loved Yuno. I don't think I could ever watch another stalker/lover anime ever again after watching this.

I was wondering if anybody have any recommendations for anime to watch? Also their thoughts on the ones that I've mentioned? I have a quick question since crunchy roll and funimatiom are sharing catalogues and etc. Which one should I get I prefer dubs.
Jesse
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Jrockstr

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:08 pm

I added some Anime Blu Rays to my Amazon Wish List and I think I am going to start a monthly anime blu ray purchase! Some times it may just be a movie or short OVA then some times it may be a whole series or season. Think I wil start it off with Serial Experiments Lain, an oldie but a goodie!
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:03 am

So I caught the first episode of the new FLCL on tv... but I couldn't sit through more than about two minutes of it.
Not because it was bad, mind you. I just can't take watching this show in English. And being that the whole thing is premiering on Toonami, of course it was going to be in English. Thought I might be able to stomach it... but no, not so much. The animation was beautiful, and the Pillows music gave me a total boner, but the voices... nah.

Fucking bummer, because FLCL is a really special anime for me. One of the only anime I actually bothered to download fansubs of, waaaaaay back before it had appeared in the US yet (only other one I bothered doing that was with the Cowboy Bebop movie). Far enough back that I still get irritated when I see the title spelled out as "Fooly Cooly"; it's Furi Kuri goddammit. First watched it at a time when everything was going kind of shitty for me, but this show was just such a jolt of fun, positive energy, so to this day it remains pretty much the be-all, end-all "feel good" anime for me personally. Or close to it, at least.
So when I watch the new one, I want to watch it right, in Japanese with subs, as I did with the original. A bunch of annoying English VA trying to mimic the cadence and energy of the Japanese VA just makes my ears bleed.
So I guess I'll be waiting for the bluray or something. Feels like such a long damn wait. Seventeen years for me, man. Maybe eighteen by the time the bluray comes out.
That's a Shenmue-level wait.

Guess I'll just go watch the original for now and drown myself in nostalgic greatness.

OL has received a thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:50 pm

Yeah I just re-watched FLCL season 1 too in preparation, I havent even watched it since I originally did when the fan subs came out in like 2001 or 2002. But this time I watched it in English because it was on the adult swim web site, and the dub does struggle to capture the performances of the japanese cast, but they talk so fast and the sub titles are coming and going so fast despite the flaws I actually understood what was going on this time around, or perhaps I had just forgotten since it had been so long. Also there was alot of american pop culture references in the enligh dub, they referenced star trek, dropped a bunch of american movie actors names, obviously the south park bit but thats not the point in getting at, I may be wrong but I think they replaced japanese culture references and just inserted american ones so those parts made sense to the western audience but it doesnt feel genuine but i guess helps me understand?
The
Mother
Fucking
Pillows.
Dont think I skipped the ending song even once, their music jolted back many memories, one of my friends bought their album and we always listened to it back in the day. Hell the only Cosplay I have ever done was of Ta-kun before anime conventions were cool in the early 2000s and my friend let me borrow his guitar and everything, glad we are finally getting more. Not sure when i'll get around to Season 2 just yet, I have alot of other anime back logged at the moment.

Persona 5 The Animation is good. Caligula anime is also good. Darling in The Franxx is not to be missed. Then pretty much everything else on Toonami, go have fun kids.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Previous

Return to Off Topic