General Anime Discussion

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: General Anime Discussion

Postby OL » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:59 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: Finally watching Initial D 5th stage on youtube. Its insane how dedicated some of these japanese voice actors are to reprising their roles, this anime started in 1998 for christs sake. Then again, I think in general anime voice actors are very dedicated to continuing their work/characters when they can.

It's also a much smaller industry over there, so it's easier to keep things like that going. In the US, it's sometimes harder to get hold of an actor at any given time, because they might be thousands and thousands of miles away, and the scheduling just doesn't work. Japan's a tiny country though, so a scant few hours on a train or whatever, and you can get just about any actor in the country to the right place at the right time. Works to their benefit.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:45 am

Also, its work for them that they may not have over the years other wise.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:12 am

That's one of the things I liked most about the new Berserk movies, most of the original cast returned to reprise their roles from the series.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:00 pm

I finally started watching Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG. Its kind of ironic the last couple posts were about anime voice actors in japan reprising their roles, but in this particular case its an american dub of an excellent cast of voice actors reprising their roles. Funny this is also one of the rare animes I prefer watching the dub, for reason I have stated before. I was also thinking about how long I have been listening to these characters and their voice actors, 1998 or so when I first saw the original Ghost in the Shell movie? One of my earliest anime memories is from ghost in the shell when Batou shouts "Get outta the fucking way!" when they are chasing the hacker through the market in the original film.

AnimeGamer183 has received 2 thanks from: Cave Johnson, OL
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:40 pm

^^Yeah, it's pretty impressive that some of the dub have actually stuck with it. It's mostly just Richard Epcar (Batou) and William Knight (Aramaki) though. The Major, Togusa, and everyone else had different actors originally.
But yeah, GitS is one of the few cases where I love the dub as much as the original voices. Not sure which I prefer, actually. Japanese is more authentic of course, but the dub is so well-cast that the fact it's in english doesn't detract at all.

Hope you like 2nd Gig by the way. Such a great show. I love the first season of SAC, but I might actually be a bigger fan of how stylish and epic the second season gets. The final few episodes are a pretty tense ride.

OL has received 2 thanks from: Cave Johnson, Jokatech19
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Jokatech19 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:58 am

OL wrote: ^^Yeah, it's pretty impressive that some of the dub have actually stuck with it. It's mostly just Richard Epcar (Batou) and William Knight (Aramaki) though. The Major, Togusa, and everyone else had different actors originally.
But yeah, GitS is one of the few cases where I love the dub as much as the original voices. Not sure which I prefer, actually. Japanese is more authentic of course, but the dub is so well-cast that the fact it's in english doesn't detract at all.

Hope you like 2nd Gig by the way. Such a great show. I love the first season of SAC, but I might actually be a bigger fan of how stylish and epic the second season gets. The final few episodes are a pretty tense ride.

I have to go back and watch SAC again. I got lost a bit during that.
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: AC: Revelations

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:29 am

Its so easy to get lost in this show, you have to pay extra close attention to whats going on, or you can miss important information. And im pretty sure major kusanagis voice actor has been the same since the first film, well the original movie, 2, and sac and sac 2 atleast.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:28 pm

Nah, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn came into it with GitS2, and has been ever since. Before that it was an actress named Mimi Woods, who did the original movie and the PS1 game.
You can tell it's someone else because McGlynn's voice is a bit deeper and has a different air of... authority would be the right word, I think. Mimi Woods's voice is a bit higher, and she's a little better at the wisecracking or condescending lines (most evident in the PS1 GitS game, since it's a little closer to the attitude of the comic).
OL
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:18 pm

Huh, well it looks like you are right. batou has been the same through 2nd gig. I honestly cant tell the difference between the 2 motoko though. Weird they casted and had the newer voice actress try to mimic the original performance so such a degree, its pretty convincing.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:28 pm

Eh... I wouldn't say she's mimicking it at all. Mary Elizabeth McGlynn is just using her regular voice in the role. She also played Julia in Cowboy Bebop, Hilda in Outlaw Star, and a bunch of others. She usually sounds pretty much the same in everything she does, aside from possibly emoting a bit more in one role or another. I think the two actresses sound really different, actually.

Mary Elizabeth McGlynn:

phpBB [video]

Mimi Woods:

phpBB [video]
OL
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:06 pm

That just proves they almost sound identical to me. There is some slight difference though.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Cave Johnson » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:50 pm

I'm currently watching Jojo's Bizzare Adventure and Stardust Crusaders and I'm really enjoying Stardust Crusaders "Ohhhhh Nooo."

Also on the watch list is Initial D, finishing up fifth stage then to final stage.

Last but not least, Knights of Sidonia caught my attention on Netflix. I just finished episode 2 and it seems pretty interesting.
Cave Johnson
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: SHMUPS

Postby Sonikku » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:33 pm

I finished Knights of Sidonia. It wasn't bad. But the animation style kind of drove me crazy. The characters animate very stiffly and unnaturally at times
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:20 pm

OMG the tachikomas techno babble in episode 15 of second gig! That was intense... Also, I predict that they have another mal-function some time soon. But I guess really they just did, hopefully that gets fixed before the show is over.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:41 pm

Shiiiiiiiiiiit.
I'm in such a mood to watch some Cowboy Bebop, but I've been really trying to wait patiently until the blurays come out in the US. Whatever I might say about anything else, my mind always come back around to Bebop being my favorite tv show overall. I want that awesome nostalgic feeling to hit me hard when I finally get to see it in HD. I know it will, because it's been a pretty good while since I last watched through the show.
The blurays are supposed to come out this year, but Funimation still hasn't announced a date. Strange, since the UK already has them. I can't imagine there's much more work that needs to be done.
Hurry the fuck up Funimation.

OL has received a thanks from: AnimeGamer183
OL
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic