General Anime Discussion

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: General Anime Discussion

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:09 pm

I've more or less lost interest in it since the price hike. I want the amazon one, but im not getting it after what happened. Considering how old Bebop is and how many copies of it have already been sold in other formats, I will let the other fans fund their pay day and wait for another version or a price drop.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby elfshadowreaper » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:29 pm

They've finally released pictures of the Cowboy Bebop limited editions from Funimation and Amazon. I still can't decide, but the Funimation package is now $64 vs Amazon's $89. I don't really like the size of Funimations because it won't fit in my DVD/BD display shelves. I've got shelves full of other junk Bebop would have to compete with. So as of now I'll probably go with Amazon's set.

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2014/10/ ... -its-best/

elfshadowreaper has received a thanks from: OL
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:58 pm

Yeah I am gonna wait for the inevitable widescreen release, the 4:3 aspect ratio is absolutely unacceptable this day and age. Funimation are such money mongers you know they will release another set later saying "Now in widescreen!" to milk a little bit more out of bebop.

http://www.rtings.com/info/what-is-the- ... cinemawide

Check out this little article about aspect ratios and how figure out how big the black bars on the left and right of the screen will look on your TV. I'm sorry for anyone that has a 21:9 TV. This release is a joke.

I will say taking a closer look at the fuimation edition premium package, it the vinyl-esque looks is actually quite appealing, but still not worth buying based on the shitty aspect ration alone. I will continue to be patient and wait for a legitimate release of this in HD.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:15 pm

Are you kidding?
They're using the original aspect ratio. That's a good thing. The show wasn't made to be widescreen.
The only way to make it widescreen (without going through the entire series and redoing every single background in every single episode and reanimating all of the original animations over those redone backgrounds, which ain't going to happen) is to chop off a chunk of the picture on the top and bottom, basically just zooming it to fit an HDtv. You lose huge parts of the image that way. That's not a good thing. From what I've heard, this is how the DBZ blurays were done, and I've read nothing but complaints about them because of it, with fans clamoring for the original aspect ratio. It's also how they decided to format older episodes of The Simpsons when they started showing it on FXX recently, and it really, really doesn't look right at all.
I don't understand how its original aspect ratio is "unacceptable" or "shitty."
You're getting the full image. This is how it was made, and how it was intended to be seen. And with something as great-looking as Bebop, cutting any part of the image out should be considered a damn crime.

On the subject of the two LE's, I'm glad I stuck with the Amazon one. Easily looks better to me.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:28 am

I dont buy it, out of all the technology we have especially in video and audio, and you are telling me it cant be formatted into widescreen and rendered in 1080p without losing part of the picture? Sorry, I just dont believe that. its 2014, not 1998 atleast give the option to choose between them, even if some is cut off. This release is lacking, plain and simple, if they want to put the original aspect ratio, thats fine, but atleast give us something thats going to fill the entirety of screen basically all these blu rays are going to be played on, 16:9 had been the standard for quite some time. There is nothing at all strange about wanting this.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:37 am

Actually no, even in 2014, with all of our fabulous, wonderful future-tech, you can't just magically turn an originally standard-def picture into widescreen. Unless, as I mentioned, you either stretch it, zoom it, or completely restructure the entire picture (the latter of which would cost a helluva lot of money, because it basically requires you to remake the material). You can't make something out of nothing. Turning standard-def into high-def without cutting parts from the top or bottom of the picture would require that you add something into where the black bars would normally be on the sides. And aside from being completely uneconomical, it's also completely unnecessary when the subject matter wasn't even storyboarded to have anything in those spaces.
And forcing the aspect ratio by zooming and cutting just takes away from the originally beautiful imagery.
Case in point, this tasty shot from episode 5.
The first image is original aspect ratio as it would appear on an HD tv (ignore the burriness, these were just swiped from a DVD for this example).

And the next is how it would appear if they did the DBZ treatment on it and zoomed it to fit the full area.

It gains nothing by being zoomed; it just loses a huge chunk of that beautiful background. The subject matter is being butchered in a case like that. And having that be the case in every single shot of the entire series? That's a lot of Bebop being lost.

AnimeGamer183 wrote:This release is lacking, plain and simple, if they want to put the original aspect ratio, thats fine, but atleast give us something thats going to fill the entirety of screen basically all these blu rays are going to be played on, 16:9 had been the standard for quite some time. There is nothing at all strange about wanting this.

The release isn't lacking at all. I honestly can't think of a single other bluray release that features the option you're asking for. So yeah, it actually is kind of strange to be wanting something like that. It's like you're looking in any place you can to find fault with it, when there's really nothing to complain about. The show was made a certain way. We're getting it exactly as it was made. It's absolutely silly to think there's anything bad about that.
And as it turns out, the option to fill the entire space is already built into your tv anyway. Ever noticed that button on your remote that says something like "zoom" or "wide"?
Press it. Bask in the glory of our amazing 2014 technology. If a couple black bars on the sides are so bothersome, you can do away with them yourself. It's no different than how it would be if Funimation zoomed it on their end.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:09 pm

You always do this OL :lol:

and bebop would be worth the time and money to format it properly. It can be done I tell you! Without having to chop and zoom, but im sure it would have to polished and re-worked a bit, it would be worth it though. They could zoom out instead of zoom in, stretch it, then touch it up, and tinker with it to the point it doesnt lose anything, polish the loose pixels etc. One day they will have tech to do all this, im baffled as to why its not already available honestly, or maybe its just too expensive.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:38 pm

Watched the first half of the first season of space dandy. It's a fun show that I would recommend to anyone looking for a light hearted comedy anime. Also watched some magi: the labyrinth of Magic which is alright and Tokyo ghoul which looks amazing with a pretty interesting story.

oh and I also watched the first few episodes of psycho pass which the setting kinda reminds me of GITS.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby mue 26 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:45 pm

I'd recommend the anime Glasslip to anyone looking for a wonderful piece of gentle and thoughtful art. But I'd imagine most people here would probably hate it, and then in turn hate me for recommending it. So, I'll actually not recommend it after all.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby elfshadowreaper » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:33 am

OL wrote:It gains nothing by being zoomed; it just loses a huge chunk of that beautiful background. The subject matter is being butchered in a case like that. And having that be the case in every single shot of the entire series? That's a lot of Bebop being lost.

The release isn't lacking at all. I honestly can't think of a single other bluray release that features the option you're asking for. So yeah, it actually is kind of strange to be wanting something like that. It's like you're looking in any place you can to find fault with it, when there's really nothing to complain about. The show was made a certain way. We're getting it exactly as it was made. It's absolutely silly to think there's anything bad about that.
And as it turns out, the option to fill the entire space is already built into your tv anyway. Ever noticed that button on your remote that says something like "zoom" or "wide"?
Press it. Bask in the glory of our amazing 2014 technology. If a couple black bars on the sides are so bothersome, you can do away with them yourself. It's no different than how it would be if Funimation zoomed it on their end.

I agree, there's nothing to be gained without having to reanimate the entire show, which they aren't going to do because they wouldn't make enough money to justify the cost. All you need to do is press "Zoom" on your TV remote and it will zoom the image to widescreen. It will be blurrier than the original aspect, but that's the only option in this situation.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sonikku » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:54 pm

Watching Tron: Uprising atm.

I'm amazed at how good it is! Especially for a Disney cartoon. :shock: I'm surprised they let these guys craft a serious show that lacks the mindless lack of depth like the rest of the programming the Disney channel churns out for kids these days. I recommend watching the first episode, if nothing else.

phpBB [video]

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Rakim
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Rakim » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:12 am

I love Tron. I'll give it a shot.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Ziming » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:20 pm

Watching a new anime series called "The Seven Deadly Sins", it has potential to be as popular like Dragonball Z. I'm also watching another series called "Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu".

http://kissanime.com/Anime/The-Seven-Deadly-Sins

http://kissanime.com/Anime/Kiseijuu-Sei-no-Kakuritsu
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby mue 26 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:54 pm

That second anime is available to stream legally on Crunchyroll, Ziming. Please people, if you care at all about the anime industry, don't watch it via illegal platforms like kissanime where no profit will ever reach the creators, when you can acquire it legally.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/parasyte-the-maxim-
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Raithos » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:30 pm

Just watched a few episodes of Bebop on BluRay...

Raithos has received a thanks from: Sonikku
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic