General Anime Discussion

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: General Anime Discussion

Postby elfshadowreaper » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:12 pm

I really liked attack on titan. The titans are the best part of it. They're totally creepy. Eren is an annoying character. But I thought it was a good story as long as the creator knows where the story will go. The opening songs are so awesome too. But lately the manga has been really political. So that sucks.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Calshot » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:12 am

I liked Attack on Titan in the beginning when there was a lot of tension and it seemed like anyone could die at any moment. I eventually realized that it had the same trappings as your typical shounen anime: a protagonist that wins through RAGE, all the main characters have plot armor, more time is spent doing internal/external monologues than actual fighting (and most often during fights), etc.

I'm still interested in where the story goes, but it's probably going to run on and on to milk its popularity.

I just finished watching Samurai Flamenco. It's about Hazama Masayoshi, a guy who grew up watching tokusatsu and sentai shows, who decides to become a real life superhero. Having no real training, he gets his ass kicked trying to stop drunks from littering and teenagers from loitering. For the first seven episodes, it's a lighthearted comedy about Masayoshi growing more competent as he fights petty crime.

After episode 7, there's massive tone shifts/plot twists and things get progressively get crazier. I thought the show was still watchable, but the escalation of pretty much everything seemed mainly to exist solely for the chance to parody/tribute other genres while showing how cuh-razy things could get.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby OL » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:26 am

That almost sounds like a Japanese version of Kick-Ass. :lol:
Not a bad idea though, since their whole concept of superheroes is totally different and would make for something entirely new. Sounds interesting.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:41 pm

http://www.dramafever.com/news/hayao-mi ... my-awards/

Miyazaki will be given the life time achievement award at the next oscars. He most definitely deserves it, such great news. Im sure it has to do with the closure of Studio Ghibli earlier this year but still, he was a master mind of animation.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:21 pm

:lol:
It's a nice thought and all, but Jesus Christ, it's hilarious how inconsistent the Oscars can be. After finally including a category for best animated film, they still barely ever give any recognition to non-American, non-cg films. Some might end up nominated occasionally, but they almost always lose out to whatever the most popular computer generated kids flick is on peoples' lips at the time. The only non-American, non-cg film that's ever won was Miyazaki's own Spirited Away.
Miyazaki definitely deserves the recognition, absolutely. But I gotta say, it doesn't mean much coming from an institution like the Oscars, which really doesn't understand or truly care about animation at all.

Whatever the case, he's already won an insane amount of awards in his native Japan and from elsewhere in the world, and just about any of those awards means more than anything the Oscars could ever drudge up.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:18 pm

http://www.slashfilm.com/margot-robbie- ... the-shell/

apparently she played in wolf of wall street which I have not seen, so i really dont know what to expect, but now she is going to be playing major kusanagi in the live action english ghost in the shell movie thats in production. She is damn gorgeous i'll say that, wonder if she will be sporting the signature dark purple hair?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:56 pm

Yeah, she's hot and all, but any mention of a western-made Ghost in the Shell makes me cringe. There's just no need for it. GitS is so distinctly-Japanese as it is that they'll really have to shred it to pieces to make a western version, and at that point it may as well just be something else entirely anyway.

OL has received a thanks from: AnimeGamer183
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:28 pm

Yeah, I don't think it needs it either, but its not something I'm opposed to. Its weird, sometimes remakes or anything like them really get on my nerves lol but I'm interested to see what they do with this. With the things they've done in movies recently, and the technology that's at disposal in 2014, I think they might just end up with an awesome live action take of something we all grew up watching. Of course its going to lose the Japanese flavor but that doesn't mean it has to lose the meaning behind it. Also I think they picked a good one with Margot Robbie. Her eyes remind me alot of Motoko.

Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:56 pm

Another GitS post. I finally finished up 2nd Gig. I have to say it was a pretty strong second season. Im not even sure which season I like better right now, but the whole Gado and Kuze scenario at the end was pretty epic, it had many interesting twists and turns that even the major herself was morally insecure about what exactly to do about everything. The refugees part in all of it was very fascinating as well. so much thought and politics and futuristic style just pours out of this show, its incredibly well thought out put together it is, alot of shows you think "well thats not really realistic, or it could be another way and make more sense" but not Stand Alone Complex, and Ghost in the Shell in general. Too bad they stopped after season 2, it could have easily gone on. But the Laughing Man and Individual Eleven story archs seem tough to top.

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: OL
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:12 pm

There's still Solid State Society if you want more. SAC is easily my favorite iteration of GitS out there, and Solid State Society is a nice little last note for it. Since it's basically a movie, it doesn't really have the breathing room that the other two arcs had, but every bit of the maturity and style from the show is still there.

Really too bad that they had to move on to Arise after that. Still not really interested in it.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:48 pm

I was just reading that the final part of arise was just released yesterday. Im not exactly cutting in line to watch it either. I havent really heard if its good or bad, its probably worth a watch at the very least at some point. I think i'll probably check out solid state society, and I need to go back and watch the movies again, maybe i'll buy the new blu ray coming out for the first film.

maybe they will finally wise up and just make a anime TV series that follows the entire manga... oh man wouldnt that be sweet?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:11 am

It'd be interesting, that's for sure. Stand Alone Complex actually did a pretty astounding job of picking and choosing bits and pieces from the comic and intelligently weaving them into their own storylines in a totally seamless way. I was always pretty impressed by it. Solid State Society actually uses a little sniper duel from Human-Error Processor to great effect, and that scene at the very end of 2nd Gig where they're all wearing new uniforms is pulled straight from the beginning of the first GitS comic. There's tons of stuff like that in there. Not necessarily straight adaptations of storylines, but adaptations of smaller scenarios, visuals, and ideas.
While I'd really like to see more animation made using the exact style of the comic (kind of like how the PS1 game did it), the truth is I think it'd be really hard to adapt it directly. The thing about many mangas is that they're easily-adaptable into a tv format, because they're pre-split into little parts, and the stories are usually really straightforward and linear. The original GitS manga, though, is very different; Masamune Shirow had kind of a unique way of using the comic format in ways only comics effectively can. They were filled with technobabble and off-to-the-side meanderings on social, political, and philosophical matters, many times with accompanying illustrations specifically present to display just how in-depth the little world Shirow had created really was. There are entire chapters that are almost more like illustrated essays about the GitS world, rather than beginning-to-end stories. They emulated that style to some extent in SAC with the tachikoma-centric episodes, but even those had to be extended into more involved stories to keep it all together.
There's a quality to the comic that -- I think -- would be really difficult to adapt directly into a tv series. There are normal, linear story parts as well, but it's all so woven-together that I'm not even sure the regular story stuff would be enough to fill a proper tv series. I think SAC had the right idea to begin with; it's an adaptation of parts, but an original story overall.

All the same, I do think it'd be amazing to see the entirety of the comic animated anyway. If the PS1 game's cutscenes are any indication, it'd all be pretty incredible. I love that damn comic to pieces.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:23 pm

I finished off my Ghost in the Shell run with watching Solid State Society. It was an interesting little story to end Stand Along Complex on, it brought alot of themes and ideas from the original movie and im sure pieces from the other GitS mediums. "The net is vast and infinite" Sounded pretty familiar there at the end, this movie almost made me think Solid State Society was a prequel to the original GitS film. Also almost implying that SAC in general was some kind of prequel, but im sure it was just fan service and paying homage. Still surprising they implemented the puppeteer/puppet master into it, alot of questions and mysteries are still there honestly.

At the end of the day I still have to say Ghost in the Shell is up there on the all time favorites anime list, alot has to do with the fact that it was one of the first animes i ever saw, but watching it now and actually able to understand it a bit more than I did when I was a kid, I realize how spectacular it really was, regarding the original movie. SAC has to be the best iteration though, even though the movie/original manga just poured out with great material to use as a starting point. SAC fleshes out that world well, but I think the question that it all really leaves you after you are finished watching is "Could this really be what our future has in store?", its a futuristic anime but its only like 30-40 years from now, we could live to see this time period, and I think thats one of the things that also makes Ghost in the Shell so fascinating its not TOO far ahead but just enough to make you wonder about the possibilities of the future. Truly an thought provoking and incredibly creative and imaginative experience.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:44 am

Actually, GitS in general tends to be based right around the 2030-ish mark, so it's supposed to be only about 15 or 16 years away. Now that's hard to imagine.
I don't think we'll hit the level of technology they're at by that point in time, but yeah, I do still consider it one of the more convincing renditions of the future I've ever seen anyway. Just knock the dates a bit further back. I'd say maybe by about the 2100 mark, maybe a little earlier, we might be seeing a world similar to GitS, just in terms of elective prosthesis and mental-digitization becoming affordable to the world. It's so far off that it's hard to tell what kind of social state we'll be in by that point, though.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby elfshadowreaper » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:54 pm

Funimation finally posted the special features for the Cowboy Bebop bluray(listed below). I'm not all that impressed with them. It would have been so awesome to have more commentaries by Shinichiro Watanabe and Yoko Kanno. I don't really care that much about Wendee Lee's commentary. I still haven't decided which version I'll get, between Amazon and Funimation. But I guess I'm leaning toward Amazon because of the artbook.

Complete series on Blu-ray
Session #1 Audio Commentary with Koichi Yamadera (Spike) and Unshou Ishizuka (Jet)

Session #5 Audio Commentary with Wendee Lee (Faye) and ADR Producer Yutaka Maseba

Session #10 Audio Commentary with Wendee Lee (Faye) and ADR Producer Yutaka Maseba
Session #17 Audio Commentary with Director Shinichiro Watanabe and Composer Yoko Kanno

Session #24 Audio Commentary with Megumi Hayashibara (Faye) and Aoi Tada (Ed)

Cowboy Bebop Session #0
Interview with Wendee Lee (English Voice of Faye Valentine)

Interview with Cartoon Network Producer Sean Akins

Original Opening Song

Textless Opening Song
Original Closing Song
Textless Closing Song

Original Closing Song Ep. 13

Textless Closing Song Ep. 13
Original Closing Song Ep. 26
Textless Closing Song Ep. 26

U.S. Trailer

Trailers

Memo from Bebop: The Dub Sessions Remembered