General Anime Discussion

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: What Anime are you watching right now?

Postby south carmain » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:25 pm

I saw a few episodes of trigun the other day, it was ok
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby OL » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:31 pm

^^Trigun starts out good (first five episodes or so), but quickly devolves into crappy animation and major inconsistencies in tone. I'm so torn on the series, since I love those first few episodes to death, but was about as disappointed as can be with the rest of it.

OL has received a thanks from: Jokatech19
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:34 pm

I think I see what you mean, the last 2 episodes I watched didn't seem as interesting as the first 5-6, I just thought it was a few weak episodes then it gets better like a lot of anime are like but now i'm kind of hesitant to watch the rest
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby OL » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:38 pm

First five are definitely the highlight to me. Funny, interesting, and above all, entertaining.
The rest could have been good if they would have kept up the "goofy character in a serious world" thing, but he eventually gets serious too, and the creators had no idea of how to balance those two extremes properly.
I won't say that the series is terrible anymore, but it certainly shouldn't be held as the classic that so many people consider it to be.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:43 pm

I also found it weird how it transitioned from him being basically invincible to becoming a "barely better than the enemy" fighter, I understand how they can make it so he meets his match later on but through the entire beginning he's basically untouchable and in the huge steam powered thingy he gets shot by a couple of random guards while the leader doesn't even touch him in the dual

south carmain has received a thanks from: OL
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Ziming » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:08 pm

LAMEWAD wrote:Are the berserk movies just going to go to the eclipse or will they continue on after that?

Most likely to the eclipse and there is no plans to continue after this. At least I haven't heard anything.
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Thief » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:22 am

Ziming wrote:
LAMEWAD wrote:Are the berserk movies just going to go to the eclipse or will they continue on after that?

Most likely to the eclipse and there is no plans to continue after this. At least I haven't heard anything.

That's a shame. It would be nice to see some of the later volumes of berserk get animated.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:10 am

Just finished Fist of the North Star in its entirety. I wholeheartedly love the series, but I have to say, the sentimentality that it tends to shoot for sometimes is just ridiculous.
There are villains who commit monstrous acts against innocent people (executions, child slavery, intentional starvation,
sororicide
), but the creators go out of their way to get you to sympathize with these characters' actions by showing them as kids, and explaining why they are the way they are. And sure, that's all well and good in adding depth to the story, but it leaks over to Kenshiro as well, and he'll do ridiculous things
like completely forgiving these villains as they die, practically getting choked up and telling them how good a friend they are.

It's absolute insanity.
A character can order peoples' death, invade towns, starve children, and basically just be the biggest asshole in the universe, but
as long as he puts up a good fight with Kenshiro and shows remorse as he's dying, Kenshiro will be like "No hard feelings. We're best buds now!"

Such an unfortunate storytelling blemish on what's otherwise a fantastic little slice of 80s tv anime.

Now I need to find another anime to watch. Hopefully something long, but not to an altogether ridiculous extent.
Maybe I'll buy up the Gundam Wing collections again.

OL has received a thanks from: ThyDarkAngel
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:31 am

^I think that was a little bit too spoilerific, but I agree. I couldn't get into Fist of the North Star because of the story being just too... I don't know... dense?
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:10 am

OL wrote: A character can order peoples' death, invade towns, starve children, and basically just be the biggest asshole in the universe, but
as long as he puts up a good fight with Kenshiro and shows remorse as he's dying, Kenshiro will be like "No hard feelings. We're best buds now!"

Such an unfortunate storytelling blemish on what's otherwise a fantastic little slice of 80s tv anime.

That concept exists in some cultures, mine being one of them. Basically it doesn't matter what happens or how much you hate a person its hard to put them down.

I do agree though its not a great help to the storytelling
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby OL » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:24 pm

I might not mind it so much if it actualy came off as a cultural thing. But instead it comes off as an incredibly odd attempt at sudden redemption for these characters, which just doesn't really work in the wake of all the rest of the guys that Kenshiro has plowed through and brutally dispatched.
Actually, that's one of the things I love most about the show; Kenshiro's usual cold-bloodedness when it comes to the majority of his enemies. He's not one of these new-age, politically correct "spare the villain, because I won't stoop to his level!" kinds of heroes (which I've been booing since I was a kid). If you're a bad guy and Kenshiro knows it, he will fuck you up and make your damn head explode.
And because I love that about him so much, it was just disappointing to see him being
forgiving to a select few of them, especially when they were usually the worst ones of all.

Still absolutely love the show, I was just disappointed with those parts.

OL has received a thanks from: Dorian
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:30 pm

The only one I really understand

is Raoh, because he did as much good as he did bad, he may have been a crazy power hungry despot, they do mention in the manga that he had achieved law and order.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: OL
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Ziming » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:38 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ng3j3N4nzM[/youtube]
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Jokatech19 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:44 pm

Ziming wrote: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ng3j3N4nzM[/youtube]

Are u freaking serious?!! LMAO! I thought he was going to look impressive with that build up. That was a joke
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: AC: Revelations

Postby Neo Matrix » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:01 pm

It only gets "impressive" when you go to the level after that from what I remember (when you play as Rei). I was able to perfect the first two levels of the path used in the video without to many problems back at school. Takes repetition but once you're used to it...
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Zeokage
XBL: Zeokage
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Naruto: UNS Generations

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic