General Anime Discussion

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: What Anime are you watching right now?

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:39 pm

OL wrote: Not a series, but I'm absolutely in love with 5 Centimeters Per Second. Maybe not exactly just people "living their lives" (it's a focused love story, so it's not necessarily just day-to-day stuff), but there aren't any action, sci-fi, or fantasy elements at all. It's just kind of a sweet "real life" story in anime form.

phpBB [video]

Sinkai is the man.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: OL
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Sonikku » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:24 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEAAaqEl03Q[/youtube]
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Absentia » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:50 pm

Ever since I finished Cowboy Bebop, I've been watching a lot (A LOT) of anime... it's really unlike me

Naturally, the follow-up for Cowboy Bebop was Samurai Champloo and it's just a great show overall. I found it funnier than CB (loads of laughs, the americans in one of the last episodes were hilarious), however the general sensation every episode left in the end was less fulfilling than CB. I didn't care much for the ending also, but that's minor compared to the whole serie. Final judgement: I thought the series was a great take on the samurai-thingy, but I prefer Cowboy Bebop to Samurai Champloo (if indeed they are comparable).

Then I've watched Akira, and it was good, though not a favourite, I felt that the first half dragged a bit. The second part was incredible however

Then Ghost in the Shell, the movie, which I thought was okay.
Afterwards I started GitS Stand Alone Complex and the whole serie is just remarkable. I've been thoroughly enjoying this episodic nature in anime a lot (there's only so much I can get invested into, so having to focus for just 20 minutes is perfect for me), and GitS:SAC just excels in telling compelling stories in just 20 minutes. My only complaint is that it could have used more Tachikomas, those little buggers crack me up
Can't wait to see the follow-up series...

I've also tried Black Lagoon, since I've heard it's a tad like CB, but it just didn't cut it. I felt it took a lot from CB (homage or plagiarism, pick your choice) but it lacked the flair, and the style, and the humour, and the sense of adventure/wonder, and everything really...

And every now and again I've been watching Rurouni Kenshin, more for the sake of nostalgia than anything else (just like I've watched DBZ last year). I've watched the OVA people say it's great and IMO it was just really good. As for the series, it started a bit too childish for my liking but it grew on me, I've gotten a few good laughs. However I can't really tell if I really like it or if it's my childhood memories talking louder. I guess I'll never know but in the meanwhile I'll be enjoying some more battousai
Absentia
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Jokatech19 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:57 pm

I honestly believe RK is the best anime ever just about.
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: AC: Revelations

Postby Rakim » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:15 am

Going through Cowboy Bebop again for the 1st time in a real long time. And the first time ever in Japanese. Almost like its brand new. Feels good man.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Thief » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:39 am

Rakim, if you haven't seen it yet watch Macross Plus! You can thank me later :P

Thief has received a thanks from: Rakim
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Rakim » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:17 pm

Just added it to my super cool text document of anime to watch. Will I have to be familiar with other Macross things to not feel stupid watching it?

Rakim has received a thanks from: Thief
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby mue 26 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:38 pm

No, not really. I've never seen any other Macross stuff, but I love Macross Plus. It's brilliant.

mue 26 has received a thanks from: Rakim
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Thief » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:41 am

What Mue said. It's really pretty much a stand alone thing. The first Macross series is worth watching in its own right though.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby silent killer » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:04 pm

Just finished Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars
Was actually pretty damn good. It felt like I was watching a proper science fiction series too, rather than some anime with some alien and space props dropped in to it. It even had a reasonable excuse for having kids in control of the titular character. And the adults aren't useless for once either. Overall it was just great. And I just realized it was directed by Tatsuo Sato. I love all of his anime.
silent killer
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

XBL: arcane devices
Currently playing: Cross Code

Re: General Anime Discussion

Postby Bluecast » Fri May 24, 2013 12:42 am

Bluecast has received a thanks from: AnimeGamer183
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Nagakura » Fri May 24, 2013 4:41 am

Watching Flowers of Evil and Oreimo season 2. There is Attack on Titan but...
Nagakura
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri May 24, 2013 8:49 am

Captain Tylor is a really great anime. I remember watching it back in high school, one of my friends let me borrow his DVD collection of it. You dont hear about it much, tylor is a big goof, but its a really awesome sci-fi anime. I probably wouldnt mind watching that one again. Just make sure you get the series and OVAs.

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: Bluecast
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri May 24, 2013 11:40 am

AnimeGamer183 wrote: Captain Tylor is a really great anime. I remember watching it back in high school, one of my friends let me borrow his DVD collection of it. You dont hear about it much, tylor is a big goof, but its a really awesome sci-fi anime. I probably wouldnt mind watching that one again. Just make sure you get the series and OVAs.

Can thank Happy Console Gamer. So far I am liking it and finished disc one. I was looking for an old school anime and this hit the spot.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri May 24, 2013 3:52 pm

Now that I really think about it, its almost a perfect anime for you ryudo, because it is a little bit star trek-ish. Super good anime, I remember regarding it up there with bebop, eva, gundam, trigun gits etc. from back in the day when I watched anime every day. Hope you enjoy it. I kinda wanna watch it now, its been a really long time since I have watched it, and i forgot most of it.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic