General Anime Discussion

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: General Anime Discussion

Postby Ziming » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:07 am

I started watching this new anime series called: Youjo Senki (Saga of Tanya the Evil)

On the front lines of the war, there is a little girl. Blond hair, blue eyes, and porcelain white skin, she commands her squad with lisping voice. Her name is Tanya Degurechaff. But in reality, she is one of Japan's most elite salarymen, reborn as a little girl after angering a mysterious being who calls himself God. This little girl, who prioritizes efficiency and her own career over anything else, will become the most dangerous being amongst the sorcerers of the imperial army.

phpBB [video]
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby OL » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:50 am

Best Buy seemed to be having a bit of an anime sale, so I finally got around to buying Terror in Resonance on bluray. Been wanting to see the rest for a while, after liking the first episode quite a bit when I watched it online.
So far so good. Shinichiro Watanabe's direction seems just as sharp as it ever was with Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo (though the story here is obviously much more continuous and contained within a particular genre), and the addition Yoko Kanno for the soundtrack is pure gold, as friggin always.
I have so much trouble getting into most newer anime, but three episodes down, and I'm really digging the hell out of this one. Exactly the type of anime I can fall for.

OL has received a thanks from: Raithos
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Rakim » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:05 pm

phpBB [video]

I was dead when he started pretending to be a westerner.

Rakim has received a thanks from: Raithos
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Raithos » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:25 am

OL wrote: Best Buy seemed to be having a bit of an anime sale, so I finally got around to buying Terror in Resonance on bluray. Been wanting to see the rest for a while, after liking the first episode quite a bit when I watched it online.
So far so good. Shinichiro Watanabe's direction seems just as sharp as it ever was with Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo (though the story here is obviously much more continuous and contained within a particular genre), and the addition Yoko Kanno for the soundtrack is pure gold, as friggin always.
I have so much trouble getting into most newer anime, but three episodes down, and I'm really digging the hell out of this one. Exactly the type of anime I can fall for.

Did you ever watch Kids on the Slope? My brother bought it back when it came out on DVD. I tried to watch it but after a couple episodes I gave up. I couldn't tell if it was actually bad or just a timing issue that caused me not to enjoy it. I need to go back and give it another shot one day. Probably going to pick up Terror soon (like tomorrow) now that I know Best Buy has it lol.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby OL » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:34 am

I think I watched two or three episodes of Kids on the Slope about a year ago, but it was online, which makes it hard for me to stick with it (not sure why exactly, that's just always been the case).
I did like what I'd seen though. Very different groove from most other anime. I think you're right, it may have been a bad timing thing for you; it seemed like a quality show to me, but yeah, probably something you have to be in the correct mood for. It seemed very much like a "slice of life" sort of thing, which probably isn't the usual thing we go into anime for. Really want to revisit it someday though.

I actually just discovered that Amazon Prime has all of Robotech and the three series that formed to create it (Macross, Southern Cross, Genesis Climber Mospeada) for free. I already have a big ol' box set of Robotech, but I've never actually watched the other original series before, pre-localization. Watched a couple episodes of Mospeada (since that was always my favorite part of Robotech), and man, what a difference a Japanese voiceover and original music make. The little girl (she's named Mint here, but did she have a different name in Robotech? Can't remember) actually sounds like a little kid, rather than a forty-year-old woman. Still whiny as hell, but at least she doesn't seem like a weird little middle-aged dwarf thing now.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:26 pm

That's funny, I just started watching Robotech again the other day now that its on Netflix. Not sure when it was added but I just recently noticed it. They don't have the originals that it was made with though, so I will def switch over to Amazon and check them out. Anime has really been picking up steam over the last few years. There's so much of it on Netflix, Prime and other platforms now.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby OL » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:03 am

Fuuuuuuuutch.
Realized that Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and 2nd Gig are finally coming out on bluray in a few days (long over-goddamn-due), and started trying to determine which one I should get. Both are marked down for preorder at 40-something, so even marked down it's kind of pricey for both all at once. I've never been able to pick which I love more, yet here I am trying to pick one.
But then as I'm doing that, I notice Ergo Proxy is also on bluray for about the same price. I've been trying hard to find more anime I haven't seen that I'll actually like lately, and Ergo Proxy has always seemed like a serious contender; bleak future, cyberpunk-esque, a general lack of cheap, fanservice-y anime tropes. I can do that. Always seemed like it might be up my alley.
So now I'm trying to pick between two things I've seen and one I haven't.
Not to mention that I already ordered the original Patlabor OVA earlier on a whim just to try it out (as much as I love mecha stuff, and I've never watched this one) as well as re-buying Gasaraki on DVD because I can't for the life of me find the one I bought two years ago and never got around to finishing.

What the honest fuck? A few months ago, aside from whatever stuff I already loved, I'd probably have been cringing at the thought of trying to sit through more anime, but here I am going through all kinds of stuff again. Granted, I'm still really discerning about it all (most new anime still turns my friggin' stomach with how goddamn cringy they are), but I am actively looking for stuff anyway, which is a big change.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Rakim » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:35 am

One of my otaku friends recently pointed out to me that this Louis Armstromg impersonator, who some might find racist, is veteran anime voice actor Koichi Yamadera. AKA the voice of Spike Spiegel. Anime will never feel the same.

phpBB [video]

Rakim has received 2 thanks from: KiBa, OL
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby OL » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:41 pm

:lol:
If anything, that just makes me like Koichi Yamadera more. Great voice actor (there's a lot more to his name than just Spike), but it's interesting to see his talents extend beyond just being the deep-voiced cool guy in a hundred different shows and games.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:16 pm

OL wrote: I think I watched two or three episodes of Kids on the Slope about a year ago, but it was online, which makes it hard for me to stick with it (not sure why exactly, that's just always been the case).
I did like what I'd seen though. Very different groove from most other anime. I think you're right, it may have been a bad timing thing for you; it seemed like a quality show to me, but yeah, probably something you have to be in the correct mood for. It seemed very much like a "slice of life" sort of thing, which probably isn't the usual thing we go into anime for. Really want to revisit it someday though.

I actually just discovered that Amazon Prime has all of Robotech and the three series that formed to create it (Macross, Southern Cross, Genesis Climber Mospeada) for free. I already have a big ol' box set of Robotech, but I've never actually watched the other original series before, pre-localization. Watchead a couple episodes of Mospeada (since that was always my favorite part of Robotech), and man, what a difference a Japanese voiceover and original music make. The little girl (she's named Mint here, but did she have a different name in Robotech? Can't remember) actually sounds like a little kid, rather than a forty-year-old woman. Still whiny as hell, but at least she doesn't seem like a weird little middle-aged dwarf thing now.

Macross is my favorite by far, but I have a hard time liking the original. Editing of episode 27 for example made the destruction of Earth felt far more shocking and epic.

Sonikku has received a thanks from: OL
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby OL » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:40 pm

Just finished the original 7-episode OVA of Patlabor. All this time, and I'd never seen anything from this franchise, but I think I'm really gonna enjoy checking out the rest of it. The OVA is just a drop in the bucket (compared to the sum of three movies, a 47-episode tv series, and a series of live-action episodes which look amazing) but it's enough to get the gist, and I like it a lot.
It's weirdly a lot less mecha-focused than I thought it would be. You go into a mecha anime, you tend to expect a lot of giant robot fighting. But Patlabor has a much, much bigger focus on its characters and their individual quirks. More of a slice-of-life police comedy that just happens to feature a few robots every now and then. First few episodes are all very self-contained and let you get to know the characters, before having a slightly grander two-parter with episodes 5 and 6, which goes a little further into politics and military stuff, as you would more normally expect out of Mamoru Oshii. It's a good dynamic that felt like it lacked cohesion at first, but makes total sense once you hit the end of episode 6.
Episode 7 is kind of out of left-field though. It doesn't follow up on the events of the previous two-parter, nor does it really set anything up for the future. If nothing else, it's easily the most action-packed episode (a little more in-line with what I was initially expecting), and totally feels like a precursor to the second episode of Stand Alone Complex, which would come out over a decade later. It's definitely a good'un, I'm just a bit confused by its placement within the OVA.

Already ordered the first two movies, and I'll probably start buying the tv series pretty soon. Loving the hell out of this. I need to watch a lot more 80s and 90s anime. There's just something about them that gets me all warm and fuzzy inside.

EDIT: Just a note about something else entirely. I guess I'm glad I didn't preorder the bluray versions of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Reviews on Amazon are tearing the releases apart, and for good reason. Apparently there are no proper subtitles, only dubtitles; meaning, the optional subs are just a transcription of the English voice track, rather than a legitimate translation of the Japanese, as any normal anime release does. Huuuuuuge no-no. And to make it worse, apparently the subs are also of the "for the hearing-impaired" variety, including descriptions of the sound effects and whatnot. And every episode is apparently presented as a single chapter, with no breaks between openings, endings, or commercial breaks.
What the fuck?
You'd think people would understand how to properly put together an anime release by now, in 20-fucking-17, after almost two decades of this stuff being released on disc. The old Stand Alone Complex DVDs got this stuff right, so why the fuck not the blurays? How does this even happen?
Furthermore, apparently there's an audio glitch that switches between English and Japanese at certain parts.
Major disappointment. I was looking forward to getting this, one of my top-five anime series of all time, in a sort of "ultimate," up-to-date version. Guess I have to keep waiting.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby KiBa » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:34 am

Rakim wrote: One of my otaku friends recently pointed out to me that this Louis Armstromg impersonator, who some might find racist, is veteran anime voice actor Koichi Yamadera. AKA the voice of Spike Spiegel. Anime will never feel the same.

phpBB [video]

Qdammit, that's impressive. I define 'racism' as a chronically negative interpretation of a race, not the mere acknowledgement of the existence of obvious differences that can be termed 'race', never mind homages to the positive or neutral qualities of a 'race'. Therefore, I am not offended by that extraordinary imitation. I like Koichi Yamadera even more now; I am furthermore deeply comforted by the innocent loving honesty of a culture untainted by the poisonous reflex of being perpetually divided by meaningless fake offences designed and proliferated by opportunists for political gain. Oh, wait, I'm talking about Japan....

Friends make fun of each other because they can; only enemies respect each other. If somebody respects you, that essentially means they have spent some time imagining some deep backup plan to kill you somehow someday if necessary. At the very least, they have entertained the hypothetical post-apocalyptic survival of the fittest scenario to figure out what it would take to get away with taking you out.

Secondly, I was a bit bored by Kids on the Slope till about halfway through, then the story picked up quick and explained the aimless ambiguity of the first half, then surprised me with a fascinating climax and resolution. I highly recommend forcing yourself through in order to enjoy a very unique story -- not, say, preternatural, just the surprises of real life, which is even more mysterious, ultimately. The jazz scenes were great throughout.

I am presently enjoying Yamishibai and Requiem from the Darkness as well as Lupin the Third Series 1, which is groovy and I can't believe it came out in the '60s. Way way ahead of its time. Basically, everything cool today ripped it off, and I'm sure it ripped off some good avant-garde TV and movies at the time too. Fujiko's backstory episode with the hitman was pure gold. Plain good writing.

@Sonikku: Super Dimension Fortress Macross? Looks good. I must absorb that memory.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Thief » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:15 am

phpBB [video]

Thief has received a thanks from: AnimeGamer183
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby KiBa » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:13 pm

Anyone know of any good horror (not gore, though) anime? I enjoyed the Yamishibai shorts, and I've just started Kagewani. Seems hard to find serious non-gore horror anime. Of course, it's a relatively rare genre on TV in general. Just hoping some of you might know of something rare and perhaps not well known.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Sonikku » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:25 pm

I don't know about horror, but have you started watching Attack on Titan Season 2 yet?

http://kissanime.ru/Anime/Shingeki-no-K ... s=openload

Sonikku has received a thanks from: KiBa
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic