Hurricane Katrina

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Postby Nameless » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:17 pm

As of 7pm central time it was a tropical storm with 65 mph winds over eastern Mississppi, and yes I would've liked to see the storm of the century but I didn't turn out that bad really.
Nameless
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby RyoHazuki1987 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:02 pm

It's down to a tropical storm now but its still causing some havok. I'm in Georgia and right now one of the "tails" of the tropical storm has knocked down some power lines and trees, and my county has declared a state of emergency. Lol, I still have power even though they're saying on tv that power is out in the county. :lol: Someone was mentioning the Superdome earlier, well it had part of its roof torn off and the roof started leaking. There's a pic at the bottom.
Attachments
ap-image-LADM13908292347.jpg
ap-image-LADM13908292347.jpg (23.01 KiB) Viewed 1079 times
RyoHazuki1987
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Nameless » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:56 pm

One of the tails. What is this a dog? lol, anyway I feel safe from hurricanes in Oklahoma 600 miles from water.
Nameless
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Realillusion » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:02 am

The only big hurricane I was ever in was Isabel and that was just barely a 1.
Realillusion
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Nameless » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:46 pm

Well from what I've heard now the mayor thinks 80% of the city is underwater. And the water is rising! They are showing rescues from the coast guard on CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News as of what I know.
Nameless
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby TEEPO™ » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:04 am

Owned!
TEEPO™
Banned
Banned

Currently playing: with my sister

Postby TenTailedCat » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:07 am

Someone I know online is from Louisiana, didn't that get hit too?

Currently I have a few theories re: why he's not online

1. He's dead. Hope I can have his guitar.
2. He's been picked up and sent to the Wizard of Oz.
3. Power's out.
TenTailedCat
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby EWJ » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:33 am

They shouldn't have built a city there in the first place. When water levels rise, the water has to go somewhere.
EWJ
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:13 am

I just saw on the news that they were thinking of evacuating the whole place. 500,000+ people. It was then that it struck me how fucking awful this really is. Half a million people getting moved is a BIG job. Must put it on "nuclear risk", "volcano" and "massive earthquake" scale surely? I really feel for the people who have been affected by this now.

Semi-agreeing with that other thread here, and what others have said a few months back, Mother Nature certainly seems to be flexing her muscles a lot these days. And she certainly looks capable of winning a competition vs humankind in a "who can cause the most damage?" arse-kicking competition...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Sunming Zhao » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:37 am

What do you guys think of all the looting?

I think it's ridiculous. I mean it's fine to steal food to keep your family alive but don't go around stealing TV's, DVD players and guns! God I guess it's true about the human race, without laws we are a bunch of savages who destroy ourselves. We're no better than the animals. We think we're evolved and civilized, but we're not.
Sunming Zhao
Master of the Three Blades

Postby EWJ » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:43 am

we? Society says we are all equal. This is just more proof that we are not.
EWJ
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sunming Zhao » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:48 am

You don't think the same thing would happen in your own community?
Sunming Zhao

Postby Teh Stooge » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:08 am

EWJ wrote:They shouldn't have built a city there in the first place. When water levels rise, the water has to go somewhere.

Agreed. Building a city that's BELOW sea level BETWEEN two bodies of water is not smart thinking. Good bye New Orleans... Hello New Atlantis.

Plus the Gulf's Coast is residence to our now downed oil refineries. I've seen footage of a gas station in Atlanta, GA that's over $6 a gallon. Course that's gouging to keep away people till their next refill. 2 Shell Refineries out in the middle of the gulf now adrift... madness!

Sunming Zhao wrote:You don't think the same thing would happen in your own community?

It almost did when Dr. Martin Luther King was assassinated. But luckily Bobby Kennedy was there to keep the masses calm
Teh Stooge

Postby EWJ » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:28 am

Sunming Zhao wrote:You don't think the same thing would happen in your own community?

I know it would but this is London. There's always a bad egg to ruin things for everyone else though I would like to believe in the smaller country towns, where people aren't as money driven and have more of a comunity, they would be decent and not try to gain over another persons loss.
EWJ
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sunming Zhao » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:33 am

That's what I would hope too, but I'm not too sure the same chaos wouldn't happen there also.
Sunming Zhao

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic