British or American Comedy?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Postby OL » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:38 pm

I think just about the only British comedy I've seen that I absolutely loved was Coupling. And yes, despite being American, I have seen a lot of British comedy (I lived in Israel for a while and got a bunch of British channels).
So I guess I prefer American comedy.

No wait, scratch that. Isn't this kind of a stupid question? Not all American comedy is the same, just as not all British comedy is the same. Each side has it's own fair share of bad comedy and good comedy.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby DeadPool » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:41 am

it depends on the comedean. however my 2 favorite comedeans are from america. David Cross, Bill Hicks.
DeadPool
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby EWJ » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:03 am

If I was asked a year ago I would have said all American comedy is shite, but now It's the only thing I watch on TV. Whenever Friends, That 70's show, Frasier, Third Rock From The Sun or Spin City is on, I'll watch it.
EWJ
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Staplerfahrer Klaus » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:15 pm

Nameless wrote:This is basically a question of where you live?

I've lived in both countries, and have quite a bit of experience of both.
Staplerfahrer Klaus
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby IveBeenCensored » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:55 pm

EWJ wrote:If I was asked a year ago I would have said all American comedy is shite, but now It's the only thing I watch on TV. Whenever Friends, That 70's show, Frasier, Third Rock From The Sun or Spin City is on, I'll watch it.

ah those old cancelled shows! Well I think That 70s show is still on. Spin City was good the first couple of seasons then the cast wasn't as interesting. Third Rock from the Sun I haven't seen in ages. Frasier I've never found that funny.
IveBeenCensored
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby b_ren » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:03 pm

I can't laugh at American comedy's because most of the British comedy I watch is pretty hardcore and if you have ever watched standups with Jim Davidson you'll know what I'm on about.
Last edited by b_ren on Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
b_ren
of Heavens
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Mr. Frozen » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:08 pm

It doesnt matter to me. As long as it makes me laugh, its fine. I laughed while watching American or British television shows.

I think the internet actually heavily influenced me with this type of stuff as a bit of british culture has rubbed off on me over time. Hell, I was about to type "programme" instead of "television show" in that previous sentence! Still, a scone is a goddamn biscuit.
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Amin » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:12 pm

Firstly i'd like to say i'm a Brit. British comedy as loads have already said is more intelligent but i have to admit I probably prefer American stuff! Yeah alot of American comedys are similar but I love watching Friends, Scrubs and i've only just started watching it but My Name is Earl is pretty enjoyable. I couldnt really get into some of the British stuff like The Office. British comedy is more a hit or miss for me. Its either bollox or brilliant, no in between.
Anyone see that Frank Skinner show with Britney Spears with the clip of Skinner dancing in his underpants to the Vengaboys. :lol: "Thats proper British comedy". That was hilarious.
Amin
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby DeadPool » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:32 pm

you should see the americanized the office, it is wonderfull :)
DeadPool
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kenshin » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:33 pm

FrozenBacon wrote:a scone is a goddamn biscuit.

:lol: Yea and chips are not fries. ;)
Kenshin
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby DeadPool » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:29 pm

and while were at it wanking is just jerking off.
DeadPool
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby momo » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:26 pm

whos wanking while reading this?!

was gonna say Brit, but i live here too, but we have near 100 channels and abc1 just does US comedy 24-7.
my brother loves HOME IMPROVEMENT(wtf?)

I'm Alan Partridge
Alan Partridge
The Day Today
Brasseye
Jam -i found this about chris morris: "But he also caused a stir with his previous series for Channel 4, Brass Eye, in which he included a vulgar subliminal message about the-then Channel 4 chief, Michael Grade. "
Peepshow
Have I got News For You (pure genious)
MonkeyDust
Rory Bremner, nah, hes shit now.
Green Wing -Scrubs rip-off

but my fave has to be KING OF THE HILL
My Name is Earl is also pretty good
dave chapelle is shite, i just wanna punch his face when i see him on tv.
momo
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby IveBeenCensored » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:03 pm

B_Ren wrote:I can't laugh at American comedy's because most of the British comedy I watch is pretty hardcore and if you have ever watched standups with Jim Jim Davidson you'll know what I'm on about.

American is horrible for stand up. With the exception of a few decent HBO specials, it isn't very good. Canadian TV I like, but a lot of it isn't as good as America's best stuff. However, Canadian stand up shows are far better than the bit of standup I see in the States
IveBeenCensored
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby IveBeenCensored » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:03 pm

Kenshin wrote:
FrozenBacon wrote:a scone is a goddamn biscuit.

:lol: Yea and chips are not fries. ;)

unless your ordering them with fish
IveBeenCensored
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Only Child » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:23 pm

Both have great shows, although my favourites do happen to British. Only Fools and Horses, Peep Show, The Office, Jam...the list goes on. It's all pretty innovative stuff, and hilarious as well.

Americans have great shows also. Friends, Seinfeld and the excellent Curb Your Enthusiasm are all shows I love.

What I hate though, is that in Britain, we get a lot of comedy shows that are so desperately trying to be like American comedies, and it really pisses me off 'cause you can't actually enjoy watching them, you can see they're straining so hard to be Friends. I can't actually think of any examples at the moment (isn't that always the way?) but hopefully some other Brits will know what I'm talking about.
Only Child
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic