British or American Comedy?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Postby Martin » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:24 am

I beg to differ with all of you.
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:18 am

Let me guess you gothic, pessimistic, miserable sod, you think that American, Canadian AND British comedy is a pile of bull?
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby ramirez » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:18 pm

No probably that comedy in general is depressing.

I must say, I hate Freinds, it's utter turd, I know it's crap because I DON'T LAUGH WHEN I WATCH IT. I just watch and it passes me by like Eastenders or something. My sister watches it all the time, but she never laughs. I do not get that show at all.

And comedies that copy freinds? how about that new one on BBCTHREE? grown ups? Other than Simpsons, and a few tidbits here and there, I prefer the British stuff, The Office, Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, Shaun of the Dead is a beautiful film.
ramirez
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby IveBeenCensored » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:41 pm

ramirez wrote:No probably that comedy in general is depressing.

I must say, I hate Freinds, it's utter turd, I know it's crap because I DON'T LAUGH WHEN I WATCH IT. I just watch and it passes me by like Eastenders or something. My sister watches it all the time, but she never laughs. I do not get that show at all.

And comedies that copy freinds? how about that new one on BBCTHREE? grown ups? Other than Simpsons, and a few tidbits here and there, I prefer the British stuff, The Office, Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, Shaun of the Dead is a beautiful film.

Isn't The Office American?
IveBeenCensored
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Barry Scott » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:43 pm

Ren Suzuki wrote:
ramirez wrote:No probably that comedy in general is depressing.

Isn't The Office American?

lol!

I'm afraid not. It was remade for the American audience but it is very much so a British comedy.
Barry Scott
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby NiGHTS 3:16 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:23 pm

They both have their weak points and strong points.

British comedy is full of wit and well written stuff. Problem is though, British humour can come across as arogant a lot of the time and is too subtle and such.

American comedy goes too far the other way. Sometimes it's too much slap stick and one liners with no depth to it.

Some shows get the right balance and it works well; The Simpsons and Only Fools And Horses spring to mind.

I don't mind any comedy as long as it makes me laugh. In other words, not Hope And Faith. It is clearly the WORST show ever created. Ever.
NiGHTS 3:16
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Veteah » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:01 am

Ren Suzuki wrote:hmm a mixture of stuff, from what I see I'd say
1.) American - Seinfeld, Simpsons, Everybody Loves Raymond, SNL, Daily Show, Real Time with Bill Maher, late Show with Letterman, late night with conan, Family Guy, enough said

2.) Canadian - Corner Gas, Kids in the Hall, SCTV, Royal Canadian Air Farce, Red Green, Talking to Americans (those americans will believe anything), This hour has 22 minutes, Just For Laughs, Comedy at Club 54, Puppets who Kill, and I'm sure theres a couple I'm forgetting about.

3.) British - okay honestly I haven't seen that much, but Are You Being Served was good back in teh day (its funny how they keep saying knickers and knockers), Keeping up Apperances was good too, Yes Prime Minister was horrible. Thats all I've really seen.

You like David Letterman, quite posibally the least-funny, obvious and most pathetic attempt at humor in the whole world but don't like Yes Prime Minister? What's wrong with you man!
Veteah
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Jerrid » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:39 pm

I prefer American comedy over British, but Friends or anything on the WB can kiss my ass.

However, pretty much anything on PBS I will watch so some British comedy is not too bad.
Jerrid
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Tomiki » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:47 pm

British people are the sickest people on earth. I have never experienced anything that is more twisted than British television.

If you don't speak American I said British people are funnier.
Tomiki

Postby NeoShredder » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:58 pm

British has gotten far, FAR worse recently. Why the fuck should I be laughing when some fat-ass black lady farts out yellow chunks out of her vagina (See: Little Miss Joeclyn)

It's just become too slapstick. It used to be more stuble way before when.

"Why did the Romans build straight roads?"

"So the Indians couldn't build Cornershops."
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby JC 2K3 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:22 pm

Americans either never see or don't understand British comedy.

Britons(or Irish people) see a lot of both British and American comedy and understand both.

Father Ted is the greatest comedy of all time and it's Irish. End of discussion.
JC 2K3
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:32 pm

Father Ted is up there, yeah. Twist is right though, the current crop mostly IS shite, and America turns out some quality laughs...

Tomiki wrote:British people are the sickest people on earth. I have never experienced anything that is more twisted than British television.

If you don't speak American I said British people are funnier.

You never seen some of the sick twisted stuff the Japanese laugh at!?
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Captain Lars Kegstealer » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:57 pm

Kids In The Hall is another great Canadian show, one of my favorite comedy shows.
Captain Lars Kegstealer
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kenny » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:40 am

Canadians have a great sense of humor.

I mean for christ's sakes, Jim Carrey came from there!
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Captain Lars Kegstealer » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:05 pm

Jim Carrey is messed. One of the funniest guys ever in movies.
Captain Lars Kegstealer
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic