Programmers Wanted

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Postby Chiyouman1325 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:34 pm

sounds like a stinker...

this sounds more like a get rich quick scheme than a well thought out plan to produce a successful video game. I don't think publishers will want to produce a game that came out of thin air from some never heard of game developing company. And advertising in a magazine isn't realistically going to bring many buyers. Sounds a lot like wishful thinking because what you want to happen will not only require an amazing video game (a "good" game would definately not get any publishers attention) but also an enormous amont of luck.

besides I don't like advertising or job offerings at message boards -it jsut crowds teh forums
Chiyouman1325
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby bill cosby » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:58 pm

Getting rich is definitely on our wish list if its fast then all the better.

Are you a game publisher(because if you are then we want to show you what we have so far) if not then you couldn't possibly know what every single publisher might or might not do

Advertising in magazines isn't going to bring that many buyers? I guess you've lost your vision at a young age because Publishers spend millions of dollars on advertising if it didn't work they wouldn't waste there money got to a site that dosent have ads or pick up a magazine that dosent have ads its an impossibility.

wether it good or amazing is up for the people to choose I don't want to pull a peter moleynox and state as he did with fable that this will be the greatest game ever and then let every one down (i.e. Halo2) in the end.
Our goal is to beat the castlevania konami team and treasure by making a better game than both companys have this is our goal.

As for posting ads for job offerings I honestly don't know where else to post this isn't the only site i've posted this ad in and i chose to do it because i have seen countless people with programming skills on this site and i believe that if they are here they like shenmue and having common interests will help in our ability to get along and communicate better. If you would be kind enough to pass along some links to me i would be very thankful but all you have done is waste a post stating nothing.

Ps. be more positive you'll live longer :idea:

It's not a stinker ;)
bill cosby
Asia Travel Representative

Postby IveBeenCensored » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:50 pm

I just think that you're in way over your head here

Your starting way too big trying to get a game on PSP

Get a group of people together and design some sort of internet game that will be reasonably well done but in a reasonable time frame. If people like the game you can charge like $5 for it to make a little money and it will give your design companyh a bit of a repuation. Then go for something bigger.

Even Super Mario Brothers 1 would be difficult to achieve with a small company, and this game is not strong enough to justify being releasede on the PSP.

I dont wanna sound rude, but you have 2 fucking people and are thinking of a PSP release? Start small, make a small game or work for a game design company to get the idea or something, I can just guarantee this doesn't end well.

Have you heard of Shenmue Zero? The most anticipated Shenmue fan game. From a programming and artistic standpoint it was excellent for a couple of volunteers, but they realized how hard the game was to make. The final release nobody could stand. Even if the bugs were gone, it still would have been far too short and uh shitty to justify being on the PSP or something

Getting rich is definitely on our wish list if its fast then all the better.

Making a game should be something you do for fun, don't even think of the money. You have to start small, and creating a game for PSP is not starting small. Getting rich quick in software usually takes an amazing idea or business skills. Simply designing another game and hoping it can compete with the major companies is unrealistic

So in conclusion all I'm saying is start making a small computer game, something you can be proud of, something epople may enjoy playing, but not a PSP quality game.
IveBeenCensored
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby bill cosby » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:19 am

ren you just wished us luck how are you gonna come back and doubt us? we are trying to find programmers via these forum posts how are we supposed to recruit if you do nothing but post negative less than correct statements about the possibility of our success if any of you who doubt me and my team are part of a successfull staff of game developers please step foward so i may apologize but the guy before just stated that video games dont sell much because of advertisements this obviously shows a lack of knowledge of the video game industry.

Super mario can be easily created by a mediocre programmer by himself

Trust me this game is strong, just how strong it is i cant tell you until you either join our team or buy the game. dont let the lack of information i can give you fool you into thinking we are not well prepared or that we do not know what we are dealing with.

Excuse your french but what do you expect for our team to grow instantaneously from 2 to 50? we are looking for more members obvioulsy we are not gonna send a game to publishers made by a game designer and an artist this is the level we are stuck at

Theres more than one way to do things your internet game idea would have us wasting more time and resources. Instead of creating a game for the internet then creating a new game for the psp we will do it first for the psp then move on to consoles. We will not work for another development studio and never have our ideas realised

If you can use paint and know, how why would you use crayons?

We have the ability to create a psp game why would we lower ourselves if we can for the same price do better?

Ive answered to all these wastefull posts despite not gaining anything from it as it seems no matter what i say you will limit yourself and continue to doubt.

Im putting a hundred and one percent of myself into this game because it will allow me to create more of the other projects i have been working on and want to release later on my other teammate has his own direction he wants to go in. the money will be used to fund our newer projects.

I'll continue to respond to these posts because your doubt and cynicism will prove humorus once we finish development.

So bring it on.

btw. dont use curse words your better than that
bill cosby

Postby bill cosby » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:22 am

i know you guys even if your not programmers can be less pesimistic and give us your support as opposed to trashing us because with or without you we will make this game and achieve our goals :lol:
bill cosby

Postby TEEPO™ » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:36 am

Ha ha ha ha. Asking around on forums for volunteers shows real professionalism. No really, it just makes you look desperate.

Ren Suzuki is right. You would be wise to take some advice from him. If not, then you‘re a stupid cunt. Start out small with an Internet game or two, get a reputation and then start a website. After you’ve got yourself a half-way decent reputation and people know what you’re about, then you can start opening applications on your site. If your games are decent and show you have love for the work, then people will be more enthusiastic to join your team. Another benefit of this is that it might get your 'noticed' in some way or another. Right now you just look like some amateur whose desperate. And even if you did manage to get a couple of boys together, your voluntary team mates probably won’t have much respect for you, seeing as this is your first project as well as theirs. Just look at the reaction you’re getting from us right now for example, cunt. They’ll see themselves equal to yourself if not superior in some way. Then you have imbalance when there’s no leader, unless one of these voluntary workers ends up taking over your own project. Once you have imbalance then there’s no cooperation and direction. Before you know it your team will be spending most of their days playing solitaire and completely forget about the so-called project and you can kiss your shitty deadline goodbye. You see, its doomed to failure. Listen to Ren Suzuki or you’re fucked. Actually, you ARE fucked! But you can prevent yourself from getting fucked even more if you take Ren Suzuki's advice!
TEEPO™
Banned
Banned

Currently playing: with my sister

Postby IveBeenCensored » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:54 pm

risingzan7 wrote:ren you just wished us luck how are you gonna come back and doubt us?

I wished you luck cus your gonna need it ;)

but the guy before just stated that video games dont sell much because of advertisements this obviously shows a lack of knowledge of the video game industry.

and saying "We can also buy advertising space in a magazine" shows a lack of business knowledge. Even space in a local magazine isn't cheap, if your thinking a national magazine, forget it. Unless your parents are rich or something, just forget about magazine advertising. Loans are far too difficult to get unless you have some very good colateral, which I'm assuming at 19, you don't.

Your full quote was "We can also buy advertising space in a magazine (interviews are promotional) as well as websites which will raise interest in the public and will in turn attract more publishers to seek us out." Now websites make sense, but to think that you advertise a game and people are going to push for publishers to grab it is unrealistic. Poeple wont just see an ad for a game that has been created but not released and think "I'm going to write SEGA and tell them to produce this thing"

Super mario can be easily created by a mediocre programmer by himself

The level design alone would take forever. Although the programming isn't overly extensive, getting it rid of bugs would not be easy.

Excuse your french but what do you expect for our team to grow instantaneously from 2 to 50?

Thats why I said start small and let yourselves grow.

If you can use paint and know, how why would you use crayons? We have the ability to create a psp game why would we lower ourselves if we can for the same price do better?

If your a music band and you create music comparable to some of the most famous bands in the world do you just march up to Sony Music with your cd? No, you start playing in small clubs, release a CD yourself, start to get known. If you are good, your reputation will slowly grow, you play bigger clubs, maybe get on an independent label, and eventually if you are good enough, the record labels will take notice. Video games are not so different. Make a good game, throw it on Newgrounds, let people enjoy it and grow a reputation.

Ive answered to all these wastefull posts despite not gaining anything from it as it seems no matter what i say you will limit yourself and continue to doubt.

You seem to be missing my point. I'm not trying to insult you or anytrhing, merely saying that you are jumping into this way too fast. If you suceed, then good for you, and like you said, nothing is impossible, but from what you've written it sound highly, highly, highly unlikely.
IveBeenCensored
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Chiyouman1325 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:24 pm

you're over zealous. If you know how to program pretty well I'm sure that you could find a job somewhere, if you're lucky maybe you could get a job programming video games.

But from what I'm getting from this, I can't even tell if you really know how to program. I mean at 19 you haven't even graduated from college. And I think it is highly unlikely that someone with your intellect could be that savvy in a programming language without even finishing a college course.
^There, I pardoned my french and said that in the nicest manner I could manage

I think that you think you have an idea for a game, and are searching the internet for programmers willing to follow your every command. They won't.
Not to mention what you are suggesting will cost large sums of money, money a bank would never loan to a pathetic out-of-thin-air business

In short I say: Trash the get rich quick scheme and get a job.
Chiyouman1325
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Chiyouman1325 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:42 pm

risingzan7 wrote:but the guy before just stated that video games dont sell much because of advertisements this obviously shows a lack of knowledge of the video game industry.

btw. dont use curse words your better than that

*ahem*

sorry for the double post- I didn't see this before

I never said you can't sell a game through advertising. What I said or meant was: sure magazines are a great way to sell your new toliet paper or relieving femanine itch and oder creme, but not for video games. To actually sell a game you need to show what it is capabable of, not just a quick picture in a magazine. I normally don't buy games unless I see either
a) a really good commercial
b) a really good review
c) it is very talked about in the gaming community
the only good magazines to advertise a video game in are like xbox magazine, nintendo power (I don't know what the playstation one is called), or any gamer magazine. However this is where all the big game companies also want to advertise. To make money you need money, and big gaming companies could just as easily outpay you as they could squish an ant between their toes

btw fuck. if you are really offended by curse words you may not wanna be in a roomfull of programmers trying to get something to work. I'm an amateur programmer at best and even I have let out quite a string when i'm stuck on something

which brings up another thing, how are you hoping to recruit programmers at a message board when nearly all of them don't live remotely near you? It is going to be 500% harder to make a game with many people when they can't even talk to each other face to face
Chiyouman1325
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby IveBeenCensored » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:23 pm

Chiyouman1325 wrote:Not to mention what you are suggesting will cost large sums of money, money a bank would never loan to a pathetic out-of-thin-air business

Yep. To give some perspective, my business prof used to work at a major bank and was responsible for deciding which new small businesses to give loans to. She said she had to turn down about 9/10 applicants. Banks will only give money if they are confident you will make it back (which they will not be just cus you made another video game) or you have some good collateral (like a house that YOU own and that is NOT on a mortgage), which I'm sure you don't.
IveBeenCensored
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby bill cosby » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:24 pm

thanks again for the luck wish

interms of advertisements i meen interview with a magazine or they can preview our game in there pages not a ad for the game like you would normally see but a preview there are more games than you think that get previewed in magazines without a publisher (whether they bring or atract a publisher is another story) but its not unusual.

I have people already offering to supply us with funds for the project and i know what the costs are. Do you really think i just woke up and said lets make a game? Ive been playing games since 4 and learning how to make them since 13.

The mario statement was you saying even mario would be hard to do for us and if we have two artist who can handle the design and improve upon it all we need is that one programmer.

This is starting small. The internet is filled with people taking your suggested route im not gonna doubt there ability for success but having so many do the same thing sort of limits the chances for success following that path. No?
Making a band is completley different than releasing a c
Ren i thank you for your concern, i cant convince you otherwise, you have made up your mind already as have most of the others on this site i cant give much more info on the project so i guess i wont continue to try and convince people if they dont want to be convinced otherwise.

Teepo id love to meet you in person
bill cosby

Postby Chiyouman1325 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:57 am

risingzan7 wrote:Teepo id love to meet you in person

O_o

:lmfao: :rotflmao: :lmfao:
Chiyouman1325
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby IveBeenCensored » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:15 pm