The Dark Knight Rises

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:45 am

Well unlike other superhero films. Batman is only human, No powers just tools.

But Ive always felt Nolans Batman got the balance right between real and fantasy.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Axm » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:54 am

Meh I dont get the complaints for it. Sure the TDK was way better, but imo rising was better than begins and I thought that was a solid film too. It's just hard for anything to follow up heath ledgers performance. TDKR was good imo because it held back in showing action for the sake of creating arbitrary action scenes. The plot and overall story arch didnt call for it so why turn it i to what we already saw in TDK. I liked seeing batman exposed in his weakness as a normal human who is naturally weak without constant training. Thats what batman has always been for me atleast. Thats why I like him. He's not supossed to be "super", just a rich hero.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:58 am

I think Hardy did a good job of steeping in after Ledger just shame they made his voice so clear to please the people who need to clean their ears out.
Most the complaints about his voice seemed to come from people watching a shitty phone version on youtube.

I am still hoping they bring out the Directors cut for this.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:24 am

Sadly, Nolan doesn't do that shit. There's plenty of unused Joker scenes from TDK lying around that'll never be shown because of his "artistic integrity" or what the fuck ever.

Whilst I believe each of Nolan's trilogy are individually great in their own right, there's no doubting the fact that Begins is the best out-and-out Batman film ever created. The rest seem to be more along the lines of loose adaptations using characters and certain elements of the stories.

I've done this rant in the past, but Begins was the only film in the trilogy that got Gotham right. It's a character in itself, yet in TDK & TDKR it's just some nameless, faceless city. From a directorial perspective, I understand why he did it, just as I understand why TDKR's ending was how it was, but for a Batman film, they just got it plain wrong.

It's quite annoying too, because Begins got so many things right, but to make so many leaps backwards, it's bitterly disappointing. I've always been all for the Elseworlds approach and throwing out the rule book and constraints of continuity, still I can't help but feeling cheated about the progression of the films, not to mention how little sense (legend of Batman-wise) that TDKR made.

This is just a blatant moan from a geek who knows too much for his own good, but just compare the look, tone and feel of Batman Begins to TDK & TDKR, and you'll notice that there was a major, major change. And it is this, imo, that was the downfall of the trilogy. Because, as brilliant as it is/was, it could've been so much better.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: KiBa
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Bluecast » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:36 am

None of the films were really any good. Just had some great performances but riddled with plot holes and questions. Some stuff just too look cool or sound cool. Just too often in the series you say why doesn't Batman just use that..or why not later or earlier do this or that. They have no style either. Nolan has made one real good film in Prestige. Just he is so overrated it's not even funny. Inception was a ball of shit trying to be so mind fucking. Just he bores the shit out of you and drags everything too long and either does not explain enough or over explains. Iron Man & Avengers should not really be compared. IMO Avengers is the best Super Hero film of all time. However Batman always had real depth. Avengers is just meant to be a fun ride. Mask of the Phantasm remains my fave Batman film follwed by Batman 1989. Bale still sounded like a complete idiot with that voice and Bane with his garbled speech could not understand him half the time. Top it off in 3 films each Gotham looks like a very different city. Hell in the 3rd was obviously NYC as you saw the Freedom Tower being built in one shot. Then in the Football stadium they left Heinz on the sign. Taking me out knowing that is the Pittsburgh Steelers stadium.

The Reboot is coming and Levitt is said to already be cast for JLA. Still I hope they drop the Nolan style. If only they could mke it closer to TAS in portrayal.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:47 am

It's already been confirmed to be bullshit. Much like your shallow criticisms of the Nolan trilogy.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:52 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: It's already been confirmed to be bullshit. Much like your shallow criticisms of the Nolan trilogy.

The only way you would hate a Batman film even if crap is if it had Adam West in it. Sorry but the facts are the films are riddled with plot holes. Ending of TDK made little sense but made to sound cool. TDKR was a giant mess and no it's now shallow when you can't understand what the fuck someone is saying half the film as a major character. Ending was a complete joke. People just buy into the hype and wear the rose tinted glasses.

THEY LIVE. OBEY THEY LIVE OBEY CONSUME CONFORM
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:58 am

I would like to know these plot holes.

As for Avengers i really enjoyed it the first time then on a re watch i noticed the story was pretty poor and the main thing was seeing them fight one another.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:28 am

TDK's ending made perfect sense. Dent went off the deep end, committing crimes would have got all the locked up mob gangsters out straight away on grounds of corruption of prosecutor, so they needed a scapegoat.

Batman was the perfect solution, because in the films he's a symbol. It's not about what he does, it's what he represents. So if it meant keepin the bad guys locked up and keepin the good guys lookin up, then so be it.

I'm not a big fan of Judd Winnick, but one thing he wrote summarised Batman pretty well... He didn't become Batman to avenge his parents, he did so because he was grateful he'd been spared, and was determined to make sure no one had to go through what he did, which is why he'd always choose sparing/saving the lives of the innocent than punishing those who do evil.

Dark as he is, he's supposed to be a shining light, a beacon, a symbol of hope.

Those who say that the ending of TDK made no sense and was just made to "sound cool" are just stupid, and the same people who get confused by relatively simple, albeit quirky concepts like The Matrix and Inception.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Axm
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:41 pm

Nolan's Batman doesn't have plot holes. Just logical fallacies. Everything they do is explained to a tee but they just don't make logical sense when you really stop to think about it.

But I liked Begins the best out of all of them. Last time I watched it I was pretty immersed in it from beginning to end despite a few missteps (like the comical, overacted deaths of Bruce's parents). TDK and TDKR had too many "wait, why did they do that..." and "STOP EXPLAINING STUFF AND START DOING STUFF" moments.

Of course if you were to ask me, I think the Amazing Spiderman was the best superhero film to come out this year. And even that film had some problems.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Crimson Ryan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:39 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: I'm not a big fan of Judd Winnick, but one thing he wrote summarised Batman pretty well... He didn't become Batman to avenge his parents, he did so because he was grateful he'd been spared, and was determined to make sure no one had to go through what he did, which is why he'd always choose sparing/saving the lives of the innocent than punishing those who do evil.

Dark as he is, he's supposed to be a shining light, a beacon, a symbol of hope..

That's the best description of Batman I've ever heard.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:42 pm

The chase in BB is almost ruined for me due to the poor attempt at humor and not to mention the poor editing involving 1 officer.

But still really enjoyed all 3 films.

I think they could have done Gordon finding out who Batman was better with a simply Bruce? or Wayne? rather than Bruce Wayne? Sort of sounds like the film is telling the viewer that Bruce is Batman.
Last edited by Who Really Cares? on Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:57 pm

One thing that bugged me about TDKR aside from the cafe thing and only 5 sec to escape. Why did they not flood that bomb earlier. Why did she wait so long when they had no idea if bruce would escape. A nuke setting off an explosion like that would cause a massive tsunami causing heavy damage to Gotham and many deaths anyway. Let's not even take into account the radiation that would be all around them. The ocean with millions of dead fish, and the City would have to be evacuated for those who did survive the tsunami but now have to leave for radtiation.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby KiBa » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:43 pm

Come on, Blue. 5 seconds is plenty of time for Christian to Bale out of the Bat.

KiBa has received 3 thanks from: Axm, Kenny, MiTT3NZ
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:09 pm

That's if Bruce was even in the Bat in the last 5 seconds[he wasn't IMO] seeing as we then find out he fixed the auto pilot 6 months before. He could have escaped when he caused the explosion [When Blake thinks this is it] I dare say the explosion he made was to hide his escape.

As for the bomb, Its a fusion reactor which means not [much?] Radiation.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/top ... utron-bomb
Last edited by Who Really Cares? on Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic