The Dark Knight Rises

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby OL » Fri May 10, 2013 12:28 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Whilst I love alternative takes on characters we all know and love, thank fuck for Nolan!

I hear ya, but I do have to say... I actually like the concept art. Just about as "back to the beginning" as you can get.
Too bad the story is shit.

OL has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Peter » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:16 pm

Bit of a bump but i can only state my opinion and I have been listening to the OST for a few weeks straight non stop now. Hans Zimmer just nailed it in his career for me. Just some incredible suites on this and Rise is just a track that immediately gets my heart pumping and my palms sweaty. Again apologies for the bump, but I can never get bored of the ending of this movie, for many things, but mostly the music. The percussion, the strings...... Need to listen once more.

Honestly if you have 10 minutes to spare, just get the best headphones you can, crank it up to the max and listen to it. Just a rollercoaster of a track.

phpBB [video]

Peter has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:16 pm

Molossus is a fucking beast n'all.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Calshot » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:10 am

So I'm going to treat this as the general Batman thread.

As a continuation of Batman's 75th anniversary, DC has released another short.
phpBB [video]

Calshot has received 2 thanks from: BigTuna, OL
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby OL » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:56 am

Yeah, saw that yesterday. Made by Darwyn Cooke. The guy is one of my favorite creators in the history of comics.

But yeah, as short as that was, it was great hearing Will Friedle as Terry McGuinness again, and hearing the theme song again. Batman Beyond was a great show. Even despite not being based on any particular comic, it's still one of the best superhero cartoons ever made.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:47 am

I was never really a big fan of Batman Beyond. The only parts that ever interested me were "Original Batman characters return!" scenes and any time Bruce appeared. People rave on like it was some incredible never-to-be-repeated moment in animation though. Maybe I just didn't give it a chance, but it didn't really appeal to me at any point.

Darwyn Cooke's a fucking legend though. There's a brilliant short Batman story he did (for the Solo specials I think...) called Deja Vu. Look it up if you haven't read it.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Sonikku » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:07 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: I was never really a big fan of Batman Beyond. The only parts that ever interested me were "Original Batman characters return!" scenes and any time Bruce appeared. People rave on like it was some incredible never-to-be-repeated moment in animation though. Maybe I just didn't give it a chance, but it didn't really appeal to me at any point.

Darwyn Cooke's a fucking legend though. There's a brilliant short Batman story he did (for the Solo specials I think...) called Deja Vu. Look it up if you haven't read it.

Did you see that episode when ra's al ghul had tits and a vag? I bet that must have been awkward. :-k

Sonikku has received a thanks from: OL
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby BigTuna » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:09 pm

That was pretty badass. I fuckin' miss that show.
BigTuna
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Postby Calshot » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:58 pm

OL wrote: Even despite not being based on any particular comic, it's still one of the best superhero cartoons ever made.

Speaking of comics, I've been reading Batman Beyond 2.0 and Justice League Beyond 2.0 and they're both pretty darn schway. The latest storyline involves the Justice Lords and I'm pretty hyped for what's coming next.

Just don't get it confused with the original Batman Beyond comic done by Adam Beechen. The vast majority of Beechen's run was considered unanimously awful. The few snippets I've read have been complete and utter schwarbage.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:58 pm

Calshot wrote:
OL wrote: Even despite not being based on any particular comic, it's still one of the best superhero cartoons ever made.

Speaking of comics, I've been reading Batman Beyond 2.0 and Justice League Beyond 2.0 and they're both pretty darn schway. The latest storyline involves the Justice Lords and I'm pretty hyped for what's coming next.

Just don't get it confused with the original Batman Beyond comic done by Adam Beechen. The vast majority of Beechen's run was considered unanimously awful. The few snippets I've read have been complete and utter schwarbage.

Batman Beyond references =D>
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Tue May 06, 2014 12:30 pm

phpBB [video]

The only two things that make this interesting to me:

are Commissioner Gordon mingling with a young Bruce Wayne and possibly meeting up with the future Catwoman, Poison Ivy, Riddler, and all the classic villains before they inevitably transform into the characters they will be infamous for. My fear was there would be no Batman, but technically he's here. It's kinda like Smallville in a way.

This is what SHIELD is sorely lacking, their popular characters being active in some way. This new show cleverly works around that by giving us younger versions of the characters.

Kenny has received a thanks from: OL
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Tue May 06, 2014 5:30 pm

I was already interested to see how that would turn out, but I'm actually really surprised at how good it looks. I was sort of under the impression that it would be a little cheesier, a little more teen-aimed... I always hated Smallville for those very qualities. It always felt like such an ugly, whiny modernization of a classic property. There are ways to do Superman as a teen really effectively, and I always thought Smallville missed the mark entirely.
This, however, really does look like a genuine cop drama that just happens to take place it Gotham City. The look of it is pretty much exactly what I would want out of something like that. I do think that forcing Selina Kyle and Pamela Isley into it is a little much; they wouldn't have been making an impression on anyone at that point in their lives. The appearance of Catwoman, especially, is supposed to be a reaction to this new Batman character that's been stomping around town. Selina Kyle wouldn't be doing shit at this point aside from getting into juvenile trouble, and she definitely wouldn't be anywhere near Bruce Wayne.
Regardless, the inclusion of a pre-Batman Penguin is perfectly acceptable, and including Edward Nygma could lead to some cool stuff.
Kind of surprised that it's actually on Fox, and not the CW. But then, that's probably part of the reason it actually looks decent; the execs at the CW fuck everything up by making it all teen-focused, while Fox is actually capable of genuinely good shows now and then.
I'll definitely be watching to see how it goes.

OL has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Tue May 06, 2014 5:34 pm

They just keep making Bruce younger and younger don't they. :lol:
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Kenny » Tue May 06, 2014 5:42 pm

I agree if characters like Selina Kyle should be in it, she shouldn't be anywhere near Bruce. She should be a secondary arc in the series that can indirectly effect what happens in the main arc, maybe even cross over with Bruce at some point in the distant future and they don't even realize that they did (play with fate a bit).

But being actively involved in the main arc? Ugh. I hate that fucking "small world" bullshit. Next thing you know, Bruce is next door neighbors with Fries who occasionally has BBQ parties at The Red Hood's house across the street. And why not invite the Flying Graysons too since they happened to stop by in town?

Fuck me. Keep it in the same universe and show it happening separately in another part of the world, but don't include them all in the same area. It kills what little suspension of disbelief I have when they do that. Other than that, it looks interesting. If it's good, hopefully Fox won't cancel it.

Kenny has received a thanks from: OL
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Riku Rose » Tue May 06, 2014 6:56 pm

Kenny wrote:But being actively involved in the main arc? Ugh. I hate that fucking "small world" bullshit. Next thing you know, Bruce is next door neighbors with Fries who occasionally has BBQ parties at The Red Hood's house across the street. And why not invite the Flying Graysons too since they happened to stop by in town?

Now I want a sitcom Batman show. Bruce is hosting a party and has to keep sneaking out to fight some criminal and Alfred has to keep the guests distracted in some wacky way. Kind of like the episode of Frasier where they host a dinner party and have to keep running to the kitchen as problems arise while keeping everyone out.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Kenny
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic