The Dark Knight Rises

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Batman 3

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:17 am

Yep. Paul Dini's fault. That's why she features so prominently in the Arkham games. I'm sure he wrote her as his ultimate sexual fantasy.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:11 am

Peter wrote:
Who Really Cares? wrote:
Gordon-Levitt taking over the main role, infact i would not be suprised if his already signed on

So not a reboot in the sense of say the latest Spider man. We dont need to see Bruce Wayne lose his parents again.

I agree with the reboot angle, but i cant see JGL as Batman. I would say if he has signed onto anything, it would be the continuation of Blake and i would stack my chips of going down the Nightwing road. If they were to go down the Batman route for Blake, then i feel it would only be a matter of time before Wayne would return, assume the Batman role, and then Blake would become Nightwing by default. Why waste time, and just go straight to Nightwing. He has inherited the BatCave, and Alfred and Lucius are still alive. Not only that, but i would also say they would leave the door open in the story for Bale to return as Batman so making JGL Batman would close that door. With Batman gone, Gotham needs a new protector, and whilst people may think its still the Batman (due to the Bat Signal, and possibly the using of Bat vehicles etc), the realisation dawns on Gotham that its a new Superhero watching over them.
Then of course, in the second movie of the Nightwing saga, Bruce Wayne emerges as Batman, since Nightwing cannot defend Gotham on his own against whatever powerful evil is threatening the city yadeyada......

Thats the predictible route, but if it were up to me, leave it as it is, and focus on other Superheros. Since its Nolan, i have no idea what way its all gonna go.

Oh and one more thing, about Bane...

He aint dead. No way. Not after watching the second time. In fact he is still moving after he is blown to the back of the room by the cannon on the Batpod. Not only that, but i dont think Nolan would have left him at that if this was the death of Bane. Also harken back to that chest plate he seems to wear throughout, plus the fact that he lives on morphine to keep constant pain at bay..... it would be very very easy to have him justifiably live. In fact, its as if he has been stored away to reappear, possibly againt Nightwing??

Yeah i dont think he will be Batman but its been set up to continue the story or start fresh but not start over Waynes story again and if needed they can have him come back at some point.

If Nolan is staying on as producer i would not be suprised if his already got JGL signed on because his a big fan of him
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby KiBa » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:03 am

Kenny wrote:Yet people can buy a city taken over by a clown...

Yes, if he seems capable. The idea of a little woman beating up huge hardened criminals somehow is comical, whereas a genius scarred sociopath in makeup who jams pencils into thugs' eye sockets is genuinely scary. Also, the whole idea of Catwoman is emphatically that she is not butch, nor does she behave butch, especially if portrayed as being incredibly scrawny like Olive Oyl in Popeye the Sailorman. She is supposed to be a cat-woman: stealthy, curvy, seductive, incredibly beautiful, exotic, dangerous... and long gone before anyone can catch her. This movie made her out to be the world's most ridiculous MMA fighter.. with Halloween costume cat ears. It's laughable.

Kenny wrote:Still doesn't make her useful. And they didn't use Harley Quinn in TDK.

Granted, she was pretty useless, but she would have been essential if Nolan had followed my explicit, thorough, and well-documented interbabble instructions. He also ignored my command not to reduce the Lazarus Pit to a symbolic third-world prison.

They should have briefly put Dr. Harleen Quinzel in TDK, like how they brilliantly put the Scarecrow in TDK and TDKR.

Bluecast wrote:Wasn't Quinn a creation of TAS?

Yessiree!
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:24 am

I feel so shut out with all this secretive spoiler talk.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:06 am

The Dojo's biggest Batman fan hasn't seen it yet? I was at the IMAX in Cardiff at 5am Friday morning!
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:46 pm

KiBa wrote:
Yes, if he seems capable. The idea of a little woman beating up huge hardened criminals somehow is comical, whereas a genius scarred sociopath in makeup who jams pencils into thugs' eye sockets is genuinely scary. Also, the whole idea of Catwoman is emphatically that she is not butch, nor does she behave butch, especially if portrayed as being incredibly scrawny like Olive Oyl in Popeye the Sailorman. She is supposed to be a cat-woman: stealthy, curvy, seductive, incredibly beautiful, exotic, dangerous... and long gone before anyone can catch her. This movie made her out to be the world's most ridiculous MMA fighter.. with Halloween costume cat ears. It's laughable.

But that's how Catwoman was always like. She burgles and fights people. When I said "clown taking over the city" I was being overly-simplistic on purpose which is what you're doing with Catwoman. If you know your pressure points and where to strike, since basic self-defense can be taught to just about anyone, you can in fact take on normal people (which she was for all the movie). If John Blake would've been the one fighting alongside Batman, how out of place or appropriate would it would be?

Now if she was fighting Bane, it'd be a totally unbelievable thing. He's a hulking mass that only Batman can take on...cause he's a hulking mass as well. So her role in taking out Bane, the person she said she was afraid of taking on, with the Batcycle was a nice touch. But you know, again, even if you tweak it to where she's having some difficulty taking on baddies at once people would still complain. Because they're harking back to a stereotype that women cannot be resilient fighters unless they bulk up.

But that's just my argument. I think a superheroine kicking ass on screen can work well if handled right just like taking a guy running around in a batsuit or a burned victim walking around without problems can work.

MiTT3NZ wrote:I feel so shut out with all this secretive spoiler talk.

Watch the film! Get on the debate!
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:03 pm

I'm skint coz of how much money I need to get this business up n runnin.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby KiBa » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:25 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote:I feel so shut out with all this secretive spoiler talk.

Wow. You actually clicked the button. I mean, I could have spoiled something for you. You had no way of knowing if I was a total jerkoff. You must trust me with your mind. I'm touched. Don't click the next button, though.

@Kenny:

Kenny wrote:But that's how Catwoman was always like...If John Blake would've been the one fighting alongside Batman, how out of place or appropriate would it would be?

...if you tweak it to where she's having some difficulty taking on baddies at once people would still complain. Because they're harking back to a stereotype that women cannot be resilient fighters unless they bulk up.

She was never like that to me. The old comics and the animated series depict a thief, not a fighter, and as I play RPGs, I am very class conscious. Yes, if Blake fought along side Batman, it would be more believable. I'm not falling back to a past false stereotype. I'm looking at reality, and in reality, most females are smaller than most men, and are generally less talented when it comes to fighting. It goes for men and women, however, than scrawny people absolutely will not defeat multiple pumpmonkies by means of hand-to-hand combat. It looked silly onscreen, and polluted Nolan's trilogy with physical antics and one-liners better suited to the old franchises or a Marvel movie. A fuller, more athletic actress in the Catwoman role would have made their version of the character much more believable. She should have been imperious with a strong voice that inspires instant admiration and fear. Most of all, Catwoman is supposed to be fascinating and exotic. I mean, seriously, unless they have a damn good explanation for her inappropriate superhuman abilities (which really hurt Bane and Bruce's elite League of Shadows backstory), how can I believe a little nerdy girl is capable of fighting off armed gangs and stealing lots of money from Gotham's most powerful people by means of gymnastics?
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Kenny » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:54 pm

Blake is as scrawny as Catwoman and has limited self-defense fighting skill compared to her! Yet you think he can take them on and it'd be more convincing?!

But her stealing from elite members of Gotham is more believable cause it's her profession. She needs to scout the layout by any means and find a way to get what she needs to make ends meet. I can buy she's methodical and meticulous just by hearing "she's a cat burglar". With Joker, he just "does things" and they seemingly fall into perfect place because he wills it to be. I find it harder to believe a set of lunatics can be controlled so easily to take over an entire city than a woman who skillfully steals and fights back when she absolutely has to.

Blake's character fighting would've been just out of place because the point of that character is that he knows Bruce's identity and has the guts to assert himself to save the city he's sworn (and wants) to protect, even if it means certain death. He's a character that has alot to learn but has the heart and ambition to take over as The Batman one day. If he was already kicking ass, then he's already capable and should've been helping Batman from the beginning. But I see it as the first step of his journey of filling the shoes of The Batman, through all its hits and misses.

With Catwoman, she does what she needs to do because for her its a means to an end. She's capable of fighting with Batman but only through self-interest, she can care less if the city crumbles and falls as long as she's out of it with her treasure. Her motivations make more sense.

I already explained how her fighting abilities make sense too. In Arkham City, I bought it. Though in retrospect, it would've been better if she relied more on gadgets. Since Batman barely used them, might as well have her take over that role. Even in Arkham City, she was very gadget reliant. So that would've helped alot towards making her character better.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby wude » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:19 pm

i have a feeling that TDKR is just like ME, people watched the first two and put high expectations on the 3rd but it was just ok and not epic like they wanted it to be
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: m.a.m.e

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:02 am

People are so defensive about this movie it's pathetic. Thank you all for being reasonable people.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:03 am

wude wrote:i have a feeling that TDKR is just like ME, people watched the first two and put high expectations on the 3rd but it was just ok and not epic like they wanted it to be

The thing is I'm pretty sure I'm about the only person who just thinks it's flat out bad. In fact, most people think it's a masterpiece. It's currently sitting at a 9.2 on IMDB.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:04 am

TFR while I have not seen TDKR yet. I thought TDK was kinda lame. BB was fun but not as enjoyable as the Marvel films IMO
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Kenny » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:18 am

Well i'm trying to work in the industry, so i'm gonna be passionate about character motivations and all that other story stuff. :P
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:12 am

Am I the only one who was just bored during this movie? I could forgive some of the poor dialogue, inconsistencies, plot-holes, and WTF BS moments (and God knows it was tripe with all of these) if it was simply entertaining. But, it wasn't. That's it's worst offense of all.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic