The Dark Knight Rises

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Batman 3

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:08 am

Nolan says goodbye

"Alfred. Gordon. Lucius. Bruce . . . Wayne. Names that have come to mean so much to me. Today, I’m three weeks from saying a final good-bye to these characters and their world. It’s my son’s ninth birthday. He was born as the Tumbler was being glued together in my garage from random parts of model kits. Much time, many changes. A shift from sets where some gunplay or a helicopter were extraordinary events to working days where crowds of extras, building demolitions, or mayhem thousands of feet in the air have become familiar.

People ask if we’d always planned a trilogy. This is like being asked whether you had planned on growing up, getting married, having kids. The answer is complicated. When David and I first started cracking open Bruce’s story, we flirted with what might come after, then backed away, not wanting to look too deep into the future. I didn’t want to know everything that Bruce couldn’t; I wanted to live it with him. I told David and Jonah to put everything they knew into each film as we made it. The entire cast and crew put all they had into the first film. Nothing held back. Nothing saved for next time. They built an entire city. Then Christian and Michael and Gary and Morgan and Liam and Cillian started living in it. Christian bit off a big chunk of Bruce Wayne’s life and made it utterly compelling. He took us into a pop icon’s mind and never let us notice for an instant the fanciful nature of Bruce’s methods.

I never thought we’d do a second - how many good sequels are there? Why roll those dice? But once I knew where it would take Bruce, and when I started to see glimpses of the antagonist, it became essential. We re-assembled the team and went back to Gotham. It had changed in three years. Bigger. More real. More modern. And a new force of chaos was coming to the fore. The ultimate scary clown, as brought to terrifying life by Heath. We’d held nothing back, but there were things we hadn’t been able to do the first time out - a Batsuit with a flexible neck, shooting on Imax. And things we’d chickened out on - destroying the Batmobile, burning up the villain’s blood money to show a complete disregard for conventional motivation. We took the supposed security of a sequel as license to throw caution to the wind and headed for the darkest corners of Gotham.

I never thought we’d do a third - are there any great second sequels? But I kept wondering about the end of Bruce’s journey, and once David and I discovered it, I had to see it for myself. We had come back to what we had barely dared whisper about in those first days in my garage. We had been making a trilogy. I called everyone back together for another tour of Gotham. Four years later, it was still there. It even seemed a little cleaner, a little more polished. Wayne Manor had been rebuilt. Familiar faces were back - a little older, a little wiser . . . but not all was as it seemed.

Gotham was rotting away at its foundations. A new evil bubbling up from beneath. Bruce had thought Batman was not needed anymore, but Bruce was wrong, just as I had been wrong. The Batman had to come back. I suppose he always will.

Michael, Morgan, Gary, Cillian, Liam, Heath, Christian . . . Bale. Names that have come to mean so much to me. My time in Gotham, looking after one of the greatest and most enduring figures in pop culture, has been the most challenging and rewarding experience a filmmaker could hope for. I will miss the Batman. I like to think that he’ll miss me, but he’s never been particularly sentimental."

He will bite if WB show some bait not in a full role but im sure he will stay on as producer.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:33 am

Fucks sake he is full of himself. Never seen a director say good bye to some films like he was dying or some shit. Boo hoo shut the fuck up your god damn ego. They were not that great anyway. 1989 Batman > TDK Yeah I said it. Keaton > Bale. Conroy >anyone. Hamill > Ledger. Phantasm is still the best Batman film and Avengers is the best Super Heo film ever made. Got a problem. Two Words for ya. Suck it. Nolan in all of his films I seen only made 1 yes 1 great film. Prestige. BB was good but not great. Iron Man better than the Batman films. Suck my balls if you don;t like it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrMiCYi7I00[/youtube]
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:50 am

I would call it more showing passion for something his worked on for nearly 10 years of his life.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:59 am

Peter Jackson didn't pull this shit. Gene Roddenberry didn't pull this shit before he died after 30 years. And he was a Ego prick. Like I said don't like what I said then ..
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13ZBp1Jdkgs[/youtube]
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:33 am

Peter Jackson has been milking his time on LOTR ever since and its looking like he will do it with The Hobbit trying to turn that into 3 films.

And yes he did say goodbye to middle earth.

And Nolans goodbye was for a book The Art And Making Of The Dark Knight Trilogy
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Peter » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:11 am

Sad to read his emotions on saying goodbye to something he has invested all his time and energy into for almost a decade. Amazing movies i really enjoyed watching. Hope to see more with his production of further comic book movie adaptations.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:19 am

Bluecast wrote:Fucks sake he is full of himself. Never seen a director say good bye to some films like he was dying or some shit. Boo hoo shut the fuck up your god damn ego. They were not that great anyway. 1989 Batman > TDK Yeah I said it. Keaton > Bale. Conroy >anyone. Hamill > Ledger. Phantasm is still the best Batman film and Avengers is the best Super Heo film ever made. Got a problem. Two Words for ya. Suck it. Nolan in all of his films I seen only made 1 yes 1 great film. Prestige. BB was good but not great. Iron Man better than the Batman films. Suck my balls if you don;t like it.

It's nice little letter and it just shows how much making these movies has meant to him. They have also meant alot to people who have watched them. If your not a fan of the movies the letter really isn't for you and I can't see what's so bad about it anyway.

TwiceFriedRice wrote:The thing is I'm pretty sure I'm about the only person who just thinks it's flat out bad. In fact, most people think it's a masterpiece. It's currently sitting at a 9.2 on IMDB.

I wouldn't look to much into the IMDB rating until it's been out for awhile. I remember the last Indiana Jones film being in the top 250 of all time when that came out. Now we know how much people really loved that...

I wouldn't say your the only one I've seen lots of reviews from people who never liked it. All the movies in this series are very different to each other so chances are people are some people will dislike one even if they like others. This was my least favorite in the series but I'd still say I think it was fantastic.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:47 am

Being controversial makes you cool.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Kenny » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:48 am

The only thing that bothers me about it is him asking why should he make another one, if there were any good sequels to name as an example.

That really shouldn't be a concern at all. If you have a story to tell, you tell it. Don't worry about if it may or may not hold up against other people's sequels.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:35 pm

I'm pretty sure his point was that he wanted to do Batman justice and didn't want to tarnish the franchise with a shit film like Schumacher did (although, to his credit, Joel Schumacher tried his best to make Batman Forever a faithful Batman film, it was the higher-ups that decided to chop n change the film and make Batman & Robin into the abomination that we all know it to be)
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:53 pm

Yeah, Schumacher is actually a good director and made a couple of films I really liked. But bat nipples and close ups on the ass were his ideas. It was just an all around clusterfuck.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:24 pm

The Lost Boys & Phantom of The Opera are two great films. Problem with him as a Batman director is the same problem when the fired Richard Donner despite most of SII was finished and hired Lester. Lester wanted a comedy. Joel wanted comedy. They fucked it up. At least we got the Donner cut on DVD. Forever was god awful as well. He found a way to make Tommy Lee Jones suck. The Dialogue in the film is beyond shit at times. Batman. While I do enjoy Batman Returns esp Phiefer as her own version of Catwoman. The film was still lackluster compared to the first.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Kenny » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:04 pm

Batman Returns is my personal favorite and I still enjoy Batman Forever since it was camp done right and had the right people attached to it (I thought Tommy Lee Jones played a fun comical Two-Face while Aaron Eckhart played a great sadistic one).

But Nolan brought some great things to the table too. I believe the perfect Batman film will have the dark atmosphere of Burton and the witty, metaphorical writing of the Nolans/Goyer. I read someone propose they do the next Batman films based on TAS, which was a hybrid of fantasy, realism, and respect to the source material. I couldn't agree more.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:02 pm

Batman is best done in animated form anyway. With live-action you have to put too much focus on justifying the gadgets he has, or the suit he wears, and have to make adjustments to the characters' appearances so they don't look TOO ridiculous. Animation on the other hand doesn't really have that problem, so there needs to be an animated (not CG) film series on the type of budget BB got. It'd be fucking flawless, coz they could literally do anything they wanted with that sort of budget. Although, tbh, I'd prefer either a new prime-time animated series based on Tim Sale's art (and obviously adapt The Long Halloween & Dark Victory) or a live-action GCPD series that uses Batman sparingly, and only really shows him in the shadows as some midnight lurker who always happens to be at the crime scene first. Hell, they could do a South Park and do a spot the Batman thing for every episode!
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby KiBa » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:57 pm

I agree. Animation is best.
KiBa
selfaware