Gays getting married

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Postby Hanyou » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:26 pm

Errrgh, no offense but all these long rambling posts against gay marriage are just throwing up the same old lame excuses.

I'm sorry to hear that, but that was my first post in the topic, which accounts for the length. I'll try to keep it shorter. :)

Do keep in mind that while yes, I am against same-sex marriage, my opinion that government should not intervene would actually extend equal marriage "rights" to all consenting adults in all conceivable consenting relationships. Full stop.

mue 26 wrote:1. Gay couples cant have children and no harm can come from it, whilst incestuous marriage would bring with it the risk of couples having unhealthy children(whom its unfair for) and then saying but its OK coz we were allowed to get married ect.

So I suppose people with severe heritable deformities/mental deficiencies should either be prohibited from getting married to a member of the opposite sex who is capable of reproducing or should be chemically castrated. If it's really "for the children," doesn't the government have an obligation to do that? After all, you would prohibit individuals from making private contracts with their siblings because of your arbitrary concerns, whilst justifying other individuals' choices (yes, marriage itself is a choice)--wouldn't your justification have all sorts of implications for policy?

Deformities that result from incestuous relationships are grossly exaggerated anyway.

2.All my friends who are gay have told me they were born gay(just have a different hormonal balance from hetrosexual people maybe), and I have no reason to disbelieve them, whilst I dont think anyone is really born naturally inclined to incest.

Scientific studies would back them up, so I have no reason to disbelieve them, either.

Is that really what it comes down to? So it's no longer a matter of individual contractual rights, but a matter of genetics. Most people are not predisposed to be sexually attracted to their specific sexual partners, but because of your concerns for potential births (a concern I tackled--I'll wait for your rebuttal before making any assumptions), you would stack that on top of the lack of specific genetic inclinations to deny individuals their rights.

Again, that seems dubious to me.

I'm going to propose a "magic" argument of my own: from a secular perspective, I suppose it could be said that heterosexual marriage is no more valid than homosexual marriage or anything else. Thus, since it's all arbitrary in the first place, why not extend it to anyone we see fit and bar anyone else we see fit? That's the best argument I can think of, although it would turn marriage itself into mush and remove all moral imperatives from the discussion. I'll address it if anyone wants me to, but yes, such arguments do exist.

Let me ask, upon what premises do you base your belief that same-sex marriage must be legalized? Without knowing that, it's hard to know whether you're being logically inconsistent--though I don't think your previous arguments were very persuasive (I may be missing something).
Last edited by Hanyou on Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hanyou
Asia Travel Representative

Postby LawXiu » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:34 pm

mue 26 wrote:How can you really say Oh well if your for gay marriage then you have to be agreeing with incestuous marrages as well?

I think you've read that wrong but I agree that the two matters are totally separate and should never be compared.

I don't like it when people say it's wrong because their religion says it's wrong. Although I respect that everyone is entitled to their beliefs I just see it as preaching. Sorry if that upsets people but that's just the way I see it.
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Hanyou » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:46 pm

I've read the first six or so pages of the thread so I knew what I was up against. KiBa is interesting. Though I agree with his conclusion (the state should not sanction marriage), I disagree with many of his other views (whether an inclination toward homosexuality is natural at birth, for example).

Moving on.

I think you've read that wrong but I agree that the two matters are totally separate and should never be compared.

Why should the government recognize same-sex unions? Present a justification that does not also justify recognition of unions between other consenting adults. Even early in this thread, I found little to no actual justification for the view that same-sex marriage should be legally recognized.

They are not "totally separate." If you use one set of principles to justify one thing, you can fairly expect those principles to be challenged with a similar scenario.

I don't like it when people say it's wrong because their religion says it's wrong. Although I respect that everyone is entitled to their beliefs I just see it as preaching. Sorry if that upsets people but that's just the way I see it.

I'm religious and it doesn't upset me, especially since I figure you don't share my religious views. On the other hand, it's impossible to paint in broad brushstrokes in regards to what religious people should believe, since different religions do entirely different things. If I'm to call myself Christian (I do) and accept a certain interpretation of the moral precepts presented by my faith (again, I do), then it would be stupid of me to shrug and say those precepts do not matter. It would contradict the nature of Christianity itself.

Now, if you believe Christianity or any other religion is false, that's fine. I can't expect you to agree my beliefs anymore than a Muslim could expect me to agree with his. But for me to ignore the tenets of the Christian faith would be intellectually dishonest.
Hanyou

Postby mue 26 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:57 pm

No its not just a matter of genetics as it would not matter to me whether they were born Gay or not, I was just trying to make the point that the two issues are very different so it is silly to keep comparing them just as Lawxiu says.

[quote="Hanyou"[i]So I suppose people with severe heritable deformities/mental deficiencies should either be prohibited from getting married to a member of the opposite sex who is capable of reproducing or should be chemically castrated. If it's really "for the children," doesn't the government have an obligation to do that? After all, you would prohibit individuals from making private contracts with their siblings because of your arbitrary concerns, whilst justifying [i]other individuals' choices (yes, marriage itself is a choice)--wouldn't your justification have all sorts of implications for policy?

Deformities that result from incestuous relationships are grossly exaggerated anyway
..[/[/i][/i]quote]

This to me is just a cheap shot to try and justify your views. No of course I am not against people with severe hereditary diseaes getting married. Whether I agree with them having children though, well that depends on the circumstances theres no one size fits all answer( I would not be in agreement with for example a woman who knowing deliberatly gets herself pregnant and gives birth to a child knowing that child has an 80% chance of never being to use its her lower body. As I see this as slightly selfish on the Mothers behalf, and sadly I have heard of cases like this.) but its a complicated issue to say the least. But my concerns would always be for the children, not because of what my religion tells me.(again I really dont mean to cause any offence)

You may call me judgmental now but to me procreating with a blood related family member comes with these risks to the childs health(no matter how exaggerated you say they are, they are still very significant) no matter the health of the individuals who choose to have a child so for me this is natures way of saying we are not meant to be having these kinds of relationships.

Now Im sure its easy for you to then pick holes in my argument and say "Well hey its not natural for gays either". But regardless it is harmless for them to have relationships and get married, and I think well if they are born that way, thats the way God designed them who are we to judge. I just can think of no good reason for them not to be allowed to marry.

I understand that you are entitled to your view just dont start throwing around comparisons that should never be made, and stop being bogged down by all this "inconsistent logic" nonsense.

Look you got me rambling now lol

p.s sorry I really cant work the quote buttons
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hanyou » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:00 pm

I want to stress that I do mean to be fair, and I don't want to misrepresent your arguments. My tone is harsh sometimes, so I'm sorry if that sounds offensive. Also, it's hard to offend me except when it comes to a couple issues, so don't worry about it.

Hanyou wrote:This to me is just a cheap shot to try and justify your views. No of course I am not against people with severe hereditary diseaes getting married. Whether I agree with them having children though, well that depends on the circumstances theres no one size fits all answer( I would not be in agreement with for example a woman who knowing deliberatly gets herself pregnant and gives birth to a child knowing that child has an 80% chance of never being to use its her lower body. As I see this as slightly selfish on the Mothers behalf, and sadly I have heard of cases like this.) but its a complicated issue to say the least. But my concerns would always be for the children, not because of what my religion tells me.(again I really dont mean to cause any offence)

Okay, well, that's pretty logically consistent. I've called people out on the eugenics argument, but they've never taken it quite as far as you did. Suffice to say, if that's what you believe, then it opens the floodgates to all kinds of dangerous practices by the government--as long as you're aware of that, it's perfectly fair.

Personal opinion? The government should not prevent any human being from reproducing. Period. I believe bearing children--and/or parenting--is a fundamental right that is not forfeit unless a parent is explicitly abusive. On a separate note, this means I also think adoption by homosexuals should be perfectly legal, so it has its own positive implications.

Now Im sure its easy for you to then pick holes in my argument and say "Well hey its not natural for gays either". But regardless it is harmless for them to have relationships and get married, and I think well if they are born that way, thats the way God designed them who are we to judge. I just can think of no good reason for them not to be allowed to marry.

Nah, I usually stay away from that argument about the naturalness of homosexuality. I'm no scientist, and I don't pretend to be. I'd only invoke it if it came to talking about a non-religious justification for onlyheterosexual marriage--but we'll get to that when we get to that, and even I think that's questionable.

I understand that you are entitled to your view just dont start throwing around comparisons that should never be made, and stop being bogged down by all this "inconsistent logic" nonsense.

It's not nonsense. Consistency is one of the more important aspects of debate and argumentation, and this is the debate forum after all. ;-) Suffice to say, you were consistent, but consistency comes at a serious cost: immense, borderline totalitarian (IMO) control over individual rights. And because consistency demands the issue of other marriages be addressed (that's hardly tangential), it's not bullshit or irrelevant to the argument.

Let me prod your argument a little more: would you be against, say, homosexual incestuous relationships? The prospect of children would never come up. Also, I assume you're okay with polygamy, right? I can tell I'm kind of annoying you, so if you don't want to answer these questions, I won't take it personally. =\

If you really do think my argument is unfair, then just answer this question: why should the government recognize same-sex marriage? Again, if you can offer a justification which could not also apply to other types of relationships, it can be considered sound.

Look you got me rambling now lol

That's good. ;-)

p.s sorry I really cant work the quote buttons
The buttons don't work for me either on this site. I just enter BBCode manually. Yeah, it's a bit tedious, but much less so than trying to fix the problems the buttons cause. XD
Hanyou

Postby LawXiu » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:07 pm

Hanyou wrote:Why should the government recognize same-sex unions? Present a justification that does not also justify recognition of unions between other consenting adults. Even early in this thread, I found little to no actual justification for the view that same-sex marriage should be legally recognized.

You ask why and I ask why not. It's that simple. Why can't everyone have equal rights?
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby mue 26 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:41 pm

Just to let you know I dont think the government should stop anyone from reproducing, dont mis understand what Im saying, my Point was if some one deliberatly plans brings a child into this world knowing that it will almost certainly have such a difficult disability to deal with(like the one I stated) then I just view it as the parents being slightly selfish when they could easily adopt, but you do undertand I was refering to a very severe case, and I in no way intended to suggest that the government should stop anyone having a child.

You clearly dont have a clue where Im coming from when your calling me a Totalitarian, your just putting words in my mouth, what did I say that was anthing of the sort

Any way back on the subject, if you have no problem with Gay people adopting, why on earth do you have a problem with them getting married? baffling

You still have yet to come up with one direct or clear reason why gay people should not get married, you just start waffling and divert the direction onto differnt matters that are not really related

and as for am I for gay incestual relationships, well they can as they please it doesn't bother me but I wouldn't reccomend any incestual relationship full stop.

It seems like your just using incest as some kind of buffer for your argument.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hanyou » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:14 am

LawXiu wrote:You ask why and I ask why not. It's that simple. Why can't everyone have equal rights?

Everyone does have equal rights. Everyone can marry a member of the opposite sex.

That said, if "everyone should have equal rights" is your basis for justification, and you think those equal rights entail being able to marry who you choose, then it just proves my point that polygamy/incest are perfectly viable to bring up. ;-)

You clearly dont have a clue where Im coming from when your calling me a Totalitarian, your just putting words in my mouth, what did I say that was anthing of the sort

*sigh* I do NOT think you are totalitarian, I just think your argument opens the door to totalitarianism. I'm just trying to point out the repercussions of the Eugenics perspective I assumed you had. Since this is all about government sanctions, I also thought you meant you were in favor of government prohibitions on reproduction. I was wrong. But if that's the case, then the government has no reason not to extend recognition to incestuous people.

If you can't see my point, then either I'm not expressing it properly or you're not comprehending it properly, but it's not worth pursuing from here. If you wish to in the future, I'm game, but this seems to be a mutual nuisance; it may be best to drop the incest/polygamy comparison debate between you and I. Sorry for misreading you.

Any way back on the subject, if you have no problem with Gay people adopting, why on earth do you have a problem with them getting married? baffling

Easy. I am a Christian. Marriage is for one man and one woman. I cannot, in good conscience, vote for same-sex marriage.

If you are not a Christian, this argument will mean nothing to you. I do not expect it to.

Since, as I've already expressed, I'm mostly libertarian, I would be MOST happy with the state NOT recognizing ANYONE, which would put everyone, gay, straight, whatever, on a level playing field. So my personal opinion on marriage would cease to matter. The reason I am for gay adoption is because that is simply a matter of the natural right to parent and it is not my place to restrict it, regardless of what the government's doing. To simply expand the government's allowance for the natural right to parent is different from expanding government entitlement programs to cover all sorts of other married couples.

So my position isn't inconsistent. Government-recognized marriage is artificial and, so long as I must vote on it, I will vote against any expansion beyond what I'd personally advocate. Once the government ceases to recognize it, these problems, too, will cease.

You still have yet to come up with one direct or clear reason why gay people should not get married, you just start waffling and divert the direction onto differnt matters are really unrelated

I don't expect my reason to make sense to anyone not of the Christian faith. That's why my secular solution is what I've tried to focus on.
Hanyou

Postby KiBa » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:14 am

^ I bow to the master.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby mue 26 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:57 am

KiBa wrote:^ I bow to the master.
:roll:

Kiba he diagrees with you on quite a few key points, such as gay adoption for example, so why are you bowing all of a sudden?

Well while marriage is not the end all or be all for me, I do believe their is a valid argument for gay marriage while not incestual marriage, pretty much for the reasons I stated. Incest no matter how physically and mentally healthy potential parents might be will lead to an much more unhealthy child (physically and emotionally), this is surely nature sending a strong message so I can understand when people would disagree with this. while of course it is just natural for a couple who may just carry carry heriditary diseases to get married, so its kinda silly to compare.

Gay marriage as I have stated before to me is pretty much just as natural IMO and no harm can come from it as I have stated. I understand it is your religious view that they should not marry and I fully accept that and dont judge. However my beef with these very conservative religious sects is that they simply judge people too much, when I just think hang on they aint god so what gives them the right to judge and when did they decide who is and is not going to hell.

However I have to give you credit for not being against gay couples full stop as I know many people who hold very conservative religious views are.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ys » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:07 am

Talking about the state controlling who gets children and who doesn't. A bit off topic but this point was briefly mentioned earlier regarding state protection.

There was a law proposition a while ago in The Netherlands that would allow the state to sterilize certain people for a while until they rehabilitated. They were thinking of, just to name one example, heavy drug addicts who were getting one kid after the other, not taking care of them at all and having them grow up in an environment filled with drugs.

They said : if you've clearly shown that you can't handle the responsibility to have a kid you shouldn't have the right to get a second/third etc. until you've cleaned up your own life. Because it also costs the state a lot in benefits (usually they get the kids to take advantage of that) and they get some children that have a higher risk of becoming addicts (or involved in criminality) themselves due to growing up in a certain environment.

I did see their point but the idea got immediately ridiculed and cast away since it reminded people of the early 1900's.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby OL » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:31 am

"Gays should be able to get married!"

"But gays are gay as hell!!! It'd be totally gay if they got married!!!"

"Indeed I agree sir, but we have to consider incest!"

"Wait, siblings boning? That's gross!"

"And so is buttsex. It's totally gay."

"Gay?"

"Yes, gay."

"You're gay."

"I'm not gay, I just think gays should be able to get married and be super gay with each other."

"But it's against my morals! And my morals are totally non-gay. Super-non-gay, actually. So non-gay that they enter a spectrum of heterosexuality that's so extreme, it borders on gay."

"I knew it. That's gay."

"You didn't know shit, sir. Plus, you're gay."

"Can we be gay together?"

"I could go for that.
SURPRISE BUTTSEX!!!"

"OW!!! Dude, that was too gay."

"I know, right? I guess we've learned a valuable lesson here today. Being gay hurts the butt. And do we really want to live in a world full of butthurt people?"

"Jeez, could you be any more gay?"

"I don't know. Maybe. Now kiss me, you big gay fool!"

*the two gays lock lips in the gayest of embraces, and live happily and totally gay as hell ever after*

Aaaaaaaaaaand... scene.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:07 pm

OL wrote:"Gays should be able to get married!"

"But gays are gay as hell!!! It'd be totally gay if they got married!!!"

"Indeed I agree sir, but we have to consider incest!"

"Wait, siblings boning? That's gross!"

"And so is buttsex. It's totally gay."

"Gay?"

"Yes, gay."

"You're gay."

"I'm not gay, I just think gays should be able to get married and be super gay with each other."

"But it's against my morals! And my morals are totally non-gay. Super-non-gay, actually. So non-gay that they enter a spectrum of heterosexuality that's so extreme, it borders on gay."

"I knew it. That's gay."

"You didn't know shit, sir. Plus, you're gay."

"Can we be gay together?"

"I could go for that.
SURPRISE BUTTSEX!!!"

"OW!!! Dude, that was too gay."

"I know, right? I guess we've learned a valuable lesson here today. Being gay hurts the butt. And do we really want to live in a world full of butthurt people?"

"Jeez, could you be any more gay?"

"I don't know. Maybe. Now kiss me, you big gay fool!"

*the two gays lock lips in the gayest of embraces, and live happily and totally gay as hell ever after*

Aaaaaaaaaaand... scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gAlxfNBWvY&feature=related
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby UnHoly Bible » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:21 pm

Hanyou wrote:
If you are not a Christian, this argument will mean nothing to you.

It should mean nothing to non-christians, but it does unfortunately because marriage has been tied to certain benefits provided by the government. As far as I'm concerned this should be the only reason why non-religious people get involved.
UnHoly Bible
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mue 26 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:50 pm

Lol, big gay Al is a legend
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic