Gays getting married

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Postby KiBa » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:51 am

2009. The whole "gay rights" movement is still up in arms over the supposed right to an institutionalized marriage. A mere century ago (and less), self-proclaimed progressives (especially radical homosexuals) were up in arms about abolishing the "oppressive and outdated" institution of marriage. Does that make sense to you? If it's just about money, I guess that makes sense. But most homosexuals are not satisfied with civil unions. So what else could it be? There are only two possibilities: the desire for universal acceptance of homosexuality by creating the perception of normalcy, or the genuine sentimental belief in romantic love (as opposed to lust) irrespective of gender.

I ask, why is the government in the marriage business to begin with? The idea of marriage is not written in the stars, though it may be vaguely written in the heart. Marriage, a true life-long vow between a man and a woman for the purpose of naturally generating and raising a family (if possible) is an entirely religious thing. Moreover, can anyone explain to me why anyone thinks it is a human right to receive tax breaks and other benefits simply because you took a breakable (by law) vow - which is not, therefore, really a vow at all - with another person, with whom you exchanged little metal rings that you wear on your third left finger? Do not insult our intelligence by telling us such benefits exist for the sake of the children, for the working people of planet Earth have never succeeded in getting their capitalist masters to provide a rational family wage for every one spouse. It goes without saying that the spare change you get from the state for being "married" by them does next to nothing for the children.

So I say abolish marriage. It is and should be an exclusively religious thing, not an economic thing, and the government is bad at it. To the elites I say, respect it, but don't institutionalize it. Instead, why not just not hoard all the wealth? What do you have to lose? To which they would surely answer: "Our slaves."
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby UnHoly Bible » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:27 pm

Kiba wrote:2009. The whole "gay rights" movement is still up in arms over the supposed right to an institutionalized marriage. A mere century ago (and less), self-proclaimed progressives (especially radical homosexuals) were up in arms about abolishing the "oppressive and outdated" institution of marriage. Does that make sense to you? If it's just about money, I guess that makes sense. But most homosexuals are not satisfied with civil unions. So what else could it be? There are only two possibilities: the desire for universal acceptance of homosexuality by creating the perception of normalcy, or the genuine sentimental belief in romantic love (as opposed to lust) irrespective of gender.

I ask, why is the government in the marriage business to begin with? The idea of marriage is not written in the stars, though it may be vaguely written in the heart. Marriage, a true life-long vow between a man and a woman for the purpose of naturally generating and raising a family (if possible) is an entirely religious thing. Moreover, can anyone explain to me why anyone thinks it is a human right to receive tax breaks and other benefits simply because you took a breakable (by law) vow - which is not, therefore, really a vow at all - with another person, with whom you exchanged little metal rings that you wear on your third left finger? Do not insult our intelligence by telling us such benefits exist for the sake of the children, for the working people of planet Earth have never succeeded in getting their capitalist masters to provide a rational family wage for every one spouse. It goes without saying that the spare change you get from the state for being "married" by them does next to nothing for the children.

So I say abolish marriage. It is and should be an exclusively religious thing, not an economic thing, and the government is bad at it. To the elites I say, respect it, but don't institutionalize it. Instead, why not just not hoard all the wealth? What do you have to lose? To which they would surely answer: "Our slaves."

True enough
UnHoly Bible
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby CookieMonster » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:57 am

There's one solution to this this and other destructive, perverted liberal ideologies such as radical feminism. Segregation! Traditionalists should secede and form their own nation and secure a future for their children.
CookieMonster
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby LawXiu » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:18 pm

Gay marriage doesn't bother me. If something doesn't hurt me then it doesn't matter.

I don't think gay people should adopt children though purely because I believe a child needs a balanced upbringing. This is also the reason I feel sorry for children when the parents get divorced. I'm not saying they are incapable of raising a child but I child needs a mother and a father.

Gay marriage, good luck to them.
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:40 pm

They shoulden't adopt or they would get bullied like mad. Can you imagine if when you went to school if there was a kid with 2 dad's. He woulden't be able to handle it.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby beedle » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:11 pm

Banning gay adoption won't exactly help change peoples' attitudes though.
beedle
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Dorian » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:14 pm

I don't know if I would like to marry my boyfriend. Not that I don't love him - I just don't see anything special about marriage. But then again, from a purely practical point of view, it's better to allow gays to marry - just legalizing homosexual pairs is not enough for some; I guess there's simply a will in some to have gay marriage as a possibility. Of course, you can make a big deal out of it and talk about capitalist masters, evil governments and all that teenage angst pseudo-philosophy of a new, free world but really, there's no point in reinventing the world. Some gay people want to marry. That's all.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Currently playing: stuff

Postby Gingefners, The » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:20 pm

Holy fuck, I agree with Kiba. Thank goodness I'm already lying down or I may just faint. And kids will get bullied regardless of the gender or number of parents, plus if the kid had two dads he'd definitely win the "My Dad's bigger than yours" debate by combining them in the argument.
Gingefners, The
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: with myself

Postby CookieMonster » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:48 pm

Capitalism is awesome, imo.
CookieMonster
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby sylentknyte » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:39 pm

This is my thoughts on the whole matter:

IMO I dont like the idea of gay people being married. Not that they should not be together, thats not what Im saying. I think there should be a certain ceremony they can perform so that they can have the same legal rights and legal status as a married couple. However I think marriage is something that is traditionally associated with religion, and religion is against being gay so for them to get married its almost like slapping ancient traditions in the face (Yes I know someone is going to compare this to black slavery or whatever). So just to make everyone happy have a separate tradition for gay couples.

However I dont believe in everything within my own religion. I think being gay is someones own personal choice and everyone has a right to live their own lives and be loved. So if they want to be married then so be it, but I think there are better ways of solving the problem.
sylentknyte
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:54 pm

You all make good arguments but I never can when it comes to gay people. I'm just homophobic.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Clint » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:03 pm

I don't agree with gay adoption, but whatever.

Marriage is fine. Not that being married actually means anything these days.
Clint
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: Fallout 3

Postby LawXiu » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Riku wrote:You all make good arguments but I never can when it comes to gay people. I'm just homophobic.

Either that or your in the closet. I used to be very homophobic until I started hanging around with a different crowd. Two of my friends are gay but they say gay marriage is wrong.

As I said above, it's never harmed me so it doesn't bother me.
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby sylentknyte » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:42 pm

I dont like gay adoption either. Making a child grow up in those circumstances will either make his perception of things fucked up, or all of the people in his school will make fun of him(not that its right, but kids are cruel.
sylentknyte
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Araviel » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:29 am

Problem is it ain't all religious. You get better rights when you're married, that's not teligious is it? No, it's state/politics. I suppose a good way to rid off that difference would be to remove all the rights for married folks, but trust me, that would make the straight married ones go into a frenzy. You can't take toilet paper away once you've introduced it to folks, but you could always pass the idea onto those who use their hands, yeah? As long as there are special legal rights/advantages linked with marriage, then marriage should be available to all.
Araviel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Next

Return to Off Topic