What TV series are you watching?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: What TV series are you watching?

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:35 pm

south carmain wrote: Watching some HBO classics, the wire and OZ.

The Wire is awesome, you may find a few tedious bits, but I urge you to keep pressing on, the way it's all done is pretty excellent and a different kind of "high" than most of the other shows that hover, usually at about the same height as The Wire, in most of the "greatest shows ever" sort of lists. :D

OZ was awesome too, not seen it in a long time so think I will stream that next after I've caught up with the rest of the class on The Walking Dead. :D

St. Elmo's Fire has received a thanks from: south carmain
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:35 pm

^the first season was awesome of the wire but the second is a bit tedious and I absolutely loath some of the characters in it. Though I heard it picks up at the end and in season 3.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby elfshadowreaper » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:58 pm

St. Elmo's Fire wrote: Walking Dead, season 4. Quite enjoying it and pretty hooked, but in my opinion, not quite as compelling as my usual favourites like Prison Break, Breaking Bad and The Wire (though I'm guessing TWD's budget is much smaller than those other shows had?)...

Glad to hear of a fellow Prison Break fan here! I LOVED the first two seasons. The other few were meh. But if I could find a show that held my attention like the first two seasons, I'd be so happy.

Oh..what I'm watching...I'm catching up on season 4 of The Walking Dead.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:25 pm

What impressed me about PB most was, I watched it way later than when it was "cool" (right after I watched Breaking Bad actually), and yet it still stood up as an addictive show. It made me think that Breaking Bad got some of its direction from PB as well, like "how the hell are they gonna escape this?" cliffhangers that are usually solved by smarts over violence. The rather extreme reliance on luck theme was also used, but much more refined in BB.

Plus, William Fichtner's character, Agent Mahone, was teh awesome!
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:04 pm

Yeah, I loved Prison Break too. William Fichtner was definitely one of the best things about it. You should give The Shield a try, I actually ended up liking that more than The Wire and I damn well love The Wire. If you like series about people trying to get out of big messes (Like PB and BB) then The Shield is definitely for you. For my money, The Shield has the best final season of any TV series I've ever seen.

Just started a series called The Red Road, which is really solid so far. It's bleak as hell though. Nice to see a series featuring a group of Native Americans portrayed as three dimensional characters and not stereotypically, for a change. The plot is one best going in fresh to it, I think. Also, Jason Momoa is a bad ass.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: St. Elmo's Fire
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:09 pm

Done The Shield too, and yeah, it's also one of the best TV shows going. Doesn't really get the recognition it deserves either since those lists that mention The Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad etc. don't reference The Shield too often.

The theme tune matched the show itself really well, too. :D

Also, have you given House of Cards (the Kevin Spacey current version) a try? I found it had the quality feel of the great shows above, so may be worth checking out...

St. Elmo's Fire has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:02 am

So I have been watching the original tmnt for some time now, and I finally got to an episode that I specifically remember watching as a child. It was one of the only times the original tmnt was premeired in prime time back in 1991 and I was 6 years old and got permission to stay up a little later so I could watch it. The episode is called Planet of the Turtleoids and it was an hour long episode/2 parter where the turtles go to a planet that has a city of turtle humanoids and its actually has some interesting philosophy from donatello in the episode as well. I think its probably one of the best episodes of the whole show. It was a really nostalgic moment for me watching that again after all this time, im really curious about the seasons with the red sky intro, anyway the turtleoid eps are 125 and 126 of 193, I still got a ways to go but watching all of tmnt in its entirety is something I should have done a long time ago as I loved watching every bit of this. TMNT will always be my shit.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Chaos » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:27 am

St. Elmo's Fire wrote: Done The Shield too, and yeah, it's also one of the best TV shows going. Doesn't really get the recognition it deserves either since those lists that mention The Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad etc. don't reference The Shield too often.

The theme tune matched the show itself really well, too. :D

Also, have you given House of Cards (the Kevin Spacey current version) a try? I found it had the quality feel of the great shows above, so may be worth checking out...

House of Cards is pretty good. I found the third season to be pretty disappointing but it's worth a watch.

Chaos has received a thanks from: St. Elmo's Fire
Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Shenmue II, AC:NL

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:25 pm

I agree, I jumped onto Netflix as soon as S3 was there (and I do really like how Netflix uploads the entire series of this, rather than an episode at a time) but found it didn't quite grab me like S1 and S2 did.

Even though he's the President, he needs to still have powerful enemies/conspirators within the US senate/government, or hovering about near the edge of it, rather than just the big bad Russians, which seems a bit too easy, though understandable to fit in with the current world events. Clever and scheming men like Ray Tusk really added to the previous seasons, the absence of people like him was noticed and missed. It also seemed to go a bit...emo...what with bringing Claire/the marriage into it in such a prominent and story-defining way.

Thanks for bumping this topic, watched a great series called White Collar recently. If you like "Suits", give this a try too. It's similar in that they both have an experienced hot-shot sort of mentor (Lawyer Harvey Spectre vs FBI Special Agent Peter Burke) and a rouge/outlawish apprentice character working under them (Stereotypical misguided genius minded Mike Ross vs master forger and sharp thinking conman Neal Caffrey). It's a kinda cheesy show, sorta 6pm-ish no swearing and not that much violent content, but doesn't really suffer for it. Some damned good characters (and some smoking hot women) and some nicely played storylines. Definite 8.5 out of 10 in my book, which is a sky high rating from me!
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:15 am

Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Supa » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Haven't been watching much, but I finished The Sopranos in recent months. Along with 24: Live Another Day. Also keeping up with Archer every week.

And Tommy Wiseau's The Neighbors is next on my list. :P
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby OL » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:40 pm

I seem to mention it every year it comes back on, but I've been watching Justified since it started this season, and it's beyond fantastic. It's the final season, so it's got that "playing for keeps" feel to it.
I look at a couple of the biggest shows on tv for the past few years -- Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead -- and I laugh every time anyone raves about what happened on it. It's always, always "OMG, guess who died!" It seems like that's the only twist those shows can pull off. Meanwhile, Justified has always pulled out great twists and maintained a good sense of danger the whole way without resorting to cheap shit like that, so I've always held it in higher regard than just about anything else out there.
Funny thing is, being that it's in the final season, the show now has license to possibly kill characters off. And the effect is so much greater than those other shows can manage. These are characters that have been around for 6 seasons, that the audience has grown attached to over several years. It isn't like bumping off someone who's been around for a few episodes. There's an actual weight to it if someone dies in this one.
Anyway, even with the tension cranked up to 10, the show still has the same sense of cool and the same cracking dialogue it's always had, and goddamn do I ever love that stuff. It's still clever, it's still got a great sense of humor, and some of the performances this year have just been phenomenal. Five or six episodes left, and it seems like they're going out on a high point.
And Sam Elliot is the villain this year. That's just so perfect for a show like this.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Supa » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:30 pm

Finished YuYu Hakusho and all of the movies/OVAs a week or two ago.

Phenomenal. Best anime I've seen yet. Not that I've seen many..

Supa has received a thanks from: Chaos
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Chaos » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:39 am

Supa wrote: Finished YuYu Hakusho and all of the movies/OVAs a week or two ago.

Phenomenal. Best anime I've seen yet. Not that I've seen many..

Probably my favorite anime, or at least tied with cowboy bebop. I've watched the whole series 3 times now, and I will probably watch it again in the not too distant future. Yu Yu Hakusho is just great the whole way through. A lot of people complain about the last season, but I even enjoyed that. My only complaint with the last season is (spoilers)
not involving Kuwabara, the best fucking character in the show. Okay, he wouldn't really make sense in that tournament, but find a fucking way to include him.

The movies were terrible though.

Right now I'm rewatching Deadwood for either the 4th or 5th time, I've lost count. It's to the point that I can remember exact quotes from characters at certain points.. Love this show so goddamned much. I'm so mad that it's probably never gonna get a proper ending.

I think after Deadwood, I'm gonna rewatch Six Feet Under, which is definitely my favorite show ever made. I've seen it twice I think, but the show it's so depressing that it's harder to rewatch over and over like I can do with Deadwood.

As you can see, I have a thing where I rewatch my favorite shows way too much.

I'm also currently watching Inuyasha and King of the Hill inbetween other stuff.

All this not including currently airing shows that I watch on a weekly basis, which isn't much. Justified, the walking dead, mad men is starting back up soon I think, better call saul, game of thrones.
Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Shenmue II, AC:NL

Postby Calshot » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:55 am

^
I thought the Sensui arc was underwhelming and the Demon World arc was just a rehash of the Dark Tournament, though I still enjoyed it.

I read that Togashi wanted to end it on the Sensui arc, but Shounen Jump pushed him to go further. He then wrote this brand new setting with tons of storytelling potential with the Demon World. Then Shounen Jump pulled the plug because of poor sales, so Togashi had to wrap that shit up real fast, which is why we got Dark Tournament 2.0.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic