What TV series are you watching?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: What TV series are you watching?

Postby OL » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:33 am

Calshot wrote:
OL wrote:
It's an incredibly weird paradox. I mean, kids are clearly getting smarter in general, thanks to the internet and all that. But then you see that this is the kind of entertainment they watch... and you can't help but think that we must be raising the single dumbest generation the world has ever seen. I can't figure out which one is the truth.

I was watching a rerun of Boy Meets World and Feeny was just as pissed about this as us.
phpBB [video]

I also caught 10 minutes of Girl Meets World while flipping through the channels. Wow, you weren't kidding. It really is that bad.

Jesus, talk about irony. :lol:
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby SaM_4000 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:04 am

Boy Meets World was a well written and entertaining show, I really enjoyed watching it when I was younger. One thing I remember that the show captured brilliantly was the transition from primary to secondary school.

Anyway, I haven't seen Girl Meets World but I had a feeling that it was going to be terrible. I completely agree with you guys, kids growing up these days are just so unlucky, the way all the shows gear toward kids are so dumbed down like as if the slightest bit of mature or controversial theme in a children's show is sacrilegious.

Then again, I guess they could always just watch the good ol' shows online so I guess they aren't so unlucky...

SaM_4000 has received a thanks from: Axm
SaM_4000
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby DavidJones » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:06 pm

i'm currently hooked to GOT. Still have 2 seasons to watch :D
DavidJones
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby OL » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:34 pm

I started to watch that new Gotham show, but they lost me in the first five minutes with how badly they ruined the "death of Bruce's parents" scene (which is an absolute lynchpin scene for any incarnation of Batman or his mythos).
First of all, the show itself starts with lil' pre-Catwoman Catwoman all prowling around hunched over like a fucking weird kid obsessed with cats. And she's wearing goggles. It was cheesy and dumb and immediately reminded me of that awful Birds of Prey show that DC made years ago (and anything pointing back to that is a bad, bad thing).
So y'know... strike one.
Then Bruce and his parents come strolling around a corner having just gotten out of a musical...
Wait... what?
Everyone knows they're supposed to be coming out of a Zorro movie. It's one of those essential details that points toward his inevitable future. But no. No Zorro here.
Strike two.
Then they get held up by a mugger, a lot of bad acting occurs, they get shot and super-fake-looking cg blood splashes out, little Bruce lets out a hilariously high-pitched pre-pubescent scream that did nothing other than to make me laugh. Seriously, it's fucking side-splittingly funny. Oh, and lil' pre-Catwoman Catwoman witnesses the whole thing from a fire escape (oh boy, Gotham must be a tiny, tiny little world).
Strikes three, four, five, and six.
That's... wow, that's actually two outs.

The thing didn't even get to the actual detective-based meat of the show, but I just couldn't watch any more. If you're making a show based on the mythology of an icon like Batman and you can't even get a character-establishing scene like this right, then something is obviously wrong. Honestly, this exact same scene has been done a hundred times before in such wildly-effective ways, there is no excuse whatsoever for it to turn out so dumb and cheesy as this.
Sorry Gotham. I was optimistic about you before, but you killed it right at the start. No thanks. Won't be watching.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:20 am

Having seen the entire episode at Oppy's insistence, it's not bad.

I really like the look of the show, the set design is dark and colorful and not that banal grayscale looking shit i've been seeing in shows like this lately. It's pretty well written even though i'm REALLY disappointed some scenes feel like a typical TV drama. Also Jim Gordon's intro = lol.

I didn't mind their portrayal of Cat-girl-woman, I was worried of the "small world" shit but they seemed to handle that fine (until she straight up decided to stalk him, that was just weird). Bruce Wayne is definitely the worst character in the pilot (that and cockney Alfred) he comes off as whiny and cheesy especially in the end. But I really enjoyed Nigma, Cobblepot, and little Poison Ivy. I thought they were TOO on the nose by referencing Penguin and Riddler (they call him Penguin cause...it annoys him? Why not call him a cockfag instead?)

Overall, not bad. Leagues better than fucking Agents of Shield, pretty much on par with Arrow. The next episode will pretty much determine if I wanna stick with the show though.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:36 pm

OL wrote: Then Bruce and his parents come strolling around a corner having just gotten out of a musical...
Wait... what?
Everyone knows they're supposed to be coming out of a Zorro movie. It's one of those essential details that points toward his inevitable future. But no. No Zorro here.
Strike two.

Huh, have to say I've never known it was meant to be a Zorro movie. I've only seen the movies and played the Arkham games but I always assumed it was just a play or opera like in Batman Begins and Bruce makes his parents leave early.

Kenny wrote:Overall, not bad. Leagues better than fucking Agents of Shield, pretty much on par with Arrow. The next episode will pretty much determine if I wanna stick with the show though.

How much of Shield did you watch? I thought it was pretty bad at first and got better as time went on. After it synced up with Captain America 2 I thought it was pretty ok but nothing amazing.

I don't think Gotham is on TV here for another month so I'll give it a go then, but I really don't know how they're going to make this go for a few seasons and keep a half decent story.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:43 pm

I thought Gotham looked cheesy as hell and rather crappy from the trailer. Orange's comments have definitely put me off trying it out now. Sounds like everything I was hoping it wasn't. Connecting all of the characters like that before they should have known each other is all kinds of silly (yeah okay, if it was supposed to be its own continuity, but it seems to me like they're trying to establish it as the official timeline connecting to the Batman movies, or something); makes the whole of Gotham City seem like a small village instead.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Kenny » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:57 pm

Riku Rose wrote:How much of Shield did you watch? I thought it was pretty bad at first and got better as time went on. After it synced up with Captain America 2 I thought it was pretty ok but nothing amazing.

I don't think Gotham is on TV here for another month so I'll give it a go then, but I really don't know how they're going to make this go for a few seasons and keep a half decent story.

Two episodes. The pilot and the episode that leads into Captain America 2.

I thought both were horrible but mostly because I don't like the characters. Honestly if Gotham was more like Shield, no Batman/Bruce Wayne and any of the important characters minus Gordon, it might've been terrible too.

Then again, Arrow is hopelessly cheesy until you watch more of it then you kinda get used to the camp factor.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Peter » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:58 pm

Loved loved loved Gotham. Oh my.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Kenny » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:32 am

Series 1 of Doctor Who.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:51 pm

Watching some HBO classics, the wire and OZ.

south carmain has received a thanks from: St. Elmo's Fire
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Kenny » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:05 pm

The Flash.

...lol
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby shengoro86 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:31 pm

Just finished Avatar. Watching Legend of Korra now.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Thief » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:35 pm

That's a sweet avatar Shengoro :lol:

I love it.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:31 pm

Walking Dead, season 4. Quite enjoying it and pretty hooked, but in my opinion, not quite as compelling as my usual favourites like Prison Break, Breaking Bad and The Wire (though I'm guessing TWD's budget is much smaller than those other shows had?)...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic