What TV series are you watching?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: What TV series are you watching?

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:04 pm

I've recently started to get pissed off with how little screen time people are getting. It felt like Jamie spent over half of last season just walking and you could probably cut all of his footage together and have just 45 minutes.

Same thing happened with the Hound and the young Stark girl a couple of seasons back.

I'm really in favour of them inventing cars in the show.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:27 pm

Riku Rose wrote: I've recently started to get pissed off with how little screen time people are getting.

EDIT: I'm a big dumb-head and thought someone was someone else!
Last edited by St. Elmo's Fire on Thu May 05, 2016 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:32 pm

Finished three seasons of Arrow and the first season of The Flash in a short matter of weeks.
It's funny how averse I was to them initially; originally, I always thought these shows would be too cheesy for me, and the fact that they aired on the CW (a channel known mainly for casts that are too young and pretty to be taken seriously) didn't help things. Plus, I've just never been a fan of any live-action superhero shows that have cropped up over the years. So there was a lot going against Arrow and The Flash before I started watching.
But then, shockingly... they actually turned out to be good. I think it might have been Kenny a while back who said that they aren't so bad once you kind of get in the right mindset for them, and that's absolutely true. They are indeed cheesy, as any live-action show about costumed vigilantes will be, but it accepts that inherent cheesiness and does great things with it. They understand their own silliness, but at the same time don't generally play it for laughs. It's an odd thing to balance, but they pull it off.
Ultimately, they actually manage to create this little comicbook-esque universe that feels surprisingly big and detailed, now stretching across at least three shows (although I have yet to see the third one, as it's still in its first season on tv, so I didn't have Netflix access to it). It could almost double as a legitimate DC Comics Elseworld universe. Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman don't exist here, but Green Arrow and The Flash do, as well as a ridiculous plethora of other characters I never thought I'd see in live-action, like The Atom, Firestorm, Black Canary, and Wildcat (that last one is a bit underwhelming in the show, but it's still a cool reference anyway).
There are things I could complain about; I'm really not a fan of the actress they got to play The Huntress, for example, nor do I particularly like the actor they got for Ra's al Ghul (though the actual portrayal of Ra's and his cult is pretty good anyway). And to be fair, the portrayal of Green Arrow (sorry, it's just "Arrow" in the show) is far more brooding and grim than I ever remember him being in the comics; he's basically Batman with a bow and arrow here, while I always seem to remember him being a bit more wise-cracking in the comics, like a mix of Spider-Man and Robin Hood.
But it's all neither here nor there. The more important thing to consider is that the showrunners actually managed to adapt so much of this comicbook content into live-action and actually keep it likable, engaging, and fun.
And not only that, but, while keeping them firmly rooted in the same universe, they've also allowed the two shows to have their own identities; Arrow is, as I said, a bit more serious and grim, while The Flash is more lighthearted and fun. And yet, when the two cross over with each other, it never feels mismatched or wrong.
All in all, I'd genuinely call this a kind of minor achievement in television. I don't think I've ever seen this kind of universe being put together across multiple, concurrent shows at the same time like this. It's pretty cool, gotta say.

I'm excited to see Legends of Tomorrow (the third show in their little universe) now. Any further excuse to see more of Brandon Routh as Ray Palmer/The Atom is good enough for me. It's funny to think he was once cast as Superman... it seems like such a weird choice now, yet the guy is absolutely perfect for The Atom.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:54 pm

OL wrote: Brandon Routh.

Funnily enough I just rewatched the entire run of Chuck a few weeks back, was every bit as good the second time around too, but Routh is quite a prominent character in that show, too, and plays his part excellently. I'm not gay but maaaaan he is an outlandishly good looking chap, isn't he!?
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Calshot » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:38 pm

OL wrote: the CW (a channel known mainly for casts that are too young and pretty to be taken seriously)

They get a bad rap for that (though it is somewhat justified), but they've made a lot of strives in branching out.

Speaking of CW shows, I watched the season finale of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. The name puts people off since it sounds like a bad rom-com that CW would eat right up, but it's surprisingly clever and funny. They've also got some catchy numbers. If you're into musicals and a sort of Tina Fey style of humor, give it a shot. The lead actress/show creator also has some rockin' tits and isn't afraid to flaunt them.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby dbzruler88 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:29 am

I'm watching a few actually.

The Walking Dead
Fear the Walking Dead
Game of Thrones
DragonBall
House M.D.
dbzruler88
Atheist Activist
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: jeremylovesanna
XBL: jeremylovesanna
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu May 05, 2016 5:48 pm

After months I finally finished watching Star Trek The Next Generation. I now have 2 complete star trek series under my belt. I must say TNG is of an extremely high quality as far as film is concerned, some seasons stonger than others but collectively one of the best things to ever grace a screen and I am glad I found time to watch every episode over the last 6 months or so. That is one thing about this series, its a commitment and it takes time.

Next up Game of Thrones Season 5 Blu Rays.

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: myshtuff
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Ryuuji95 » Sun May 08, 2016 3:07 am

I watched these lately:

Rush Hour (CBS)
DC Legends of tomorrow
The Flash
Arrow
Gotham
Supernatural
Game Of Thrones (Season 6)
Blunt Talk
Ash Vs. Evil Dead
Houdini & Doyle
Lucifer
The Vampire Diaries
Ryuuji95
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: Fury7493
XBL: HazukiXL64
Steam: AkiraXL64
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Virtua Fighter 5: FS

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Sun May 08, 2016 5:50 am

Ryuuji95 wrote:Ash Vs. Evil Dead

Fun show, that! 8)
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:20 pm

So, who watched the final episode for this season of GoT?
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:38 am

Started watching Hannibal. Up to episode 10 now. Good god fuuuuuuck, this show is dark as hell.
I mean, yeah, sure, it's a show about serial killers, cannibalism, and mental disorder, so obviously it's dark. But man, I didn't expect it to be quite this extreme at all. This shit makes Dexter look like Boy Meets World.
I'm taken even more by surprise just because this was on NBC when it first aired. The most basic of basic cable, and they actually had a show darker and more violent than anything I've seen on HBO, FX, Showtime, or Cinemax. Crazy as hell.
Anyway, I'm actually pretty surprised by how engaged I am by the show. It's not exactly the kind of series where you fall in love with characters or anything; they're all a little too serious most of the time for that to happen. But the storyline is great regardless, and the wide gamut of psycho killers they go through episode after episode, all with their own insane trademarks, is weirdly fascinating.
I started watching the show just because I read that Katharine Isabelle (who I'm officially obsessed with now) has a relatively meaty part in seasons 2 and 3, so watching the first season was just kind of a formality so I'd know what was going on once I get there. But it's hooked me, and I'm now very, very intrigued to see where it all goes, even aside from the presence of Ms. Isabelle. Mads Mikkelsen is great; such a weird screen presence. Way more appealing as Hannibal Lecter than Anthony Hopkins ever was (can't say I was ever a fan of the character before this). Only disappointed now by the fact that the show was cancelled after the third season, meaning there likely won't be a concrete ending whenever I get around to it.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:39 pm

St. Elmo's Fire wrote: So, who watched the final episode for this season of GoT?

Yep and loved it.

I've been pretty harsh on GoT before due to the fact each charcter only get's about 5 minutes of screen time every 3 episodes and the slow pace was starting to drag. I have to say though that the last few episodes are really ramping up and have been excellent. We no longer seem to have to wait 6 episodes for a character to walk to another town as they seem to just be appearing there.

This used to be something I watched along as like Lost it was an event to watch it live but these last few episodes have got me hyped for the future.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Calshot » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:48 pm

Riku Rose wrote:
St. Elmo's Fire wrote: So, who watched the final episode for this season of GoT?

We no longer seem to have to wait 6 episodes for a character to walk to another town as they seem to just be appearing there.

They're past where the books are, so they're probably just doing their own thing now without having to worry too much about G.R.R.M.'S pacing.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:53 pm

Just started watching season 6, so if you guys are talking about it, I'll come back later..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby RyoHazuki84 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:37 pm

Anime wise

Macross Delta
New Berserk
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Diamond is Unbreakable
Ace Attorney
Sailor Moon Crystal
Kyoukai no Rinne
Dragon Ball Super
Gundam 0096
City Hunter
Legend of Galactic Heroes

Other than that, non-anime shows I have been watching have had their respective seasons ending within the last few weeks

Arrow
The Flash
Agents of SHIELD
Agent Carter
Game of Thrones
Better Call Saul
The Walking Dead
RyoHazuki84
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue