What TV series are you watching?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: What TV series are you watching?

Postby Kenny » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:55 pm

Usually one competitor is eliminated per episode, except for the occasional episode where eliminated contestants have a chance to get back in, but here they let all of them go to the next round. It's a first in the series but I think it's a cheap way to get viewer to tune in for more episodes. The only reason they did that was cause all the people left over are the most interesting ones sans one, eliminating just one of them will cause the ratings to drop I bet.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:02 am

I don't get why Krissy is still there. Prolly cause they need the drama in the show

Yokosuka Martian has received a thanks from: Kenny
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:19 am

St. Elmo's Fire wrote: Just getting started on season 3 now. :)

Posted this a week ago, now I'm well into season 4. Guess it's getting hit hard now, anyway!

Kinda sad that Stringer Bell is gone, though he was turning into even more of an asshole than Avon was.
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:13 pm

Part of the way into season 5 of the above. Just from reading the back of the DVD cover for S5, I knew my head was gonna get fucked with, and that I was gonna enjoy it. Since the entire run of the show has seen the nice and easy progression of other parts of "the system" come into bigger parts of the play, the bombshell of "the media" dropping in now is also very interesting. The sense of imminent and immense self destruction among several of the key players bouncing back out to make shit hit every single blade of the fast moving fan is palpable, also!

CAUTION big. And spoilers.
I respect, but have a pretty huge dislike, for Marlo Stanfield and his crew new. Ice cold strategy and intelligence, and a disciplined crew of dangerous and evil people, he does "deserve" to be king of that world. I actually kinda liked Prop. Joe, though, and his shooting made me sad. Even though he'd tried to be a bit too clever with his scheming and manipulation, the co-op under him seemed like a lesser evil. I'd also grown to quite like Bodie, now also dead, but at least he went out shooting and not like the little bitch he'd otherwise been cruelly (he lacked ambition, but ran a tight crew and never really fucked up) made to be/look like the entire run. That sleazy lawyer, Jesus he's got them ALL up in there, hasn't he? Funny how Herc's now part of that, too, though he did deserve to be fucked a bit. Colvin was a character I enjoyed. His crazy (but equally genius) idea to completely flip the game on its head to appease the stats-obsessed Po-leece superiors seemed to benefit a lot of people, too. The fact he also did it to fuck with those above him since they'd pissed him off and he was close to retiring and did it all grinning and casually laughing in their faces (right up until they fucked him back) and just being a thoroughly nice man was also enjoyed.
Just when I thought McNulty's clean act was getting a little boring, but was kinda glad for him about it and that Jesus, Bunk really was a drunken asshole, the roles switch immediately! McNulty was one of the "key player self destruct" things I referred to before. I find it alarming that Freamon, probably my (and a lot of others' no doubt) favourite character of the show (and probably partly 'cos he's the one we get to see the least of, outside of being a Police, thus mysterious.) seems to have now jumped right in there on McNulty's other and even worse self/outward destructive cycle!

Plenty more I'd like to talk, but already just blurted out a load of stream-of-consciousness. I do feel better educated about a load of other areas of life and system though, which is cool.

As to whether or not it's favouriterer than The Sopranos? Hmm. Tony and friends of his are certainly wondering that themselves. Come season end, it will be close. :)
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:31 pm

^I need to get back on that show so I can discuss the spoilerific stuff with you.

I caught up with MasterChef, I agree with the recent departure. I really can't wait for that next episode, it looks like it'll be incredibly good. Reality TV needs to be more like this show, they don't crank the drama at 11 like everyone else does. They keep it nice, competitive, informative, and throw in the drama when needed.

Now I need to watch the newest Breaking Bad.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:47 am

Tron Uprising on Netflix.

This is surprising how good it is. It's really Batman Beyond in the Tron Universe. Elijah Wood voices the main character and the Actor who portrayed Tron reprises his role and good old Lance Hendrickson as well. So some high quality VA. Good writing. I'm not a big fan of the lanky character design with funny shaped heads but minor gripe. The music using music from Daft Punk Tron Legacy and imitation Legacy music but dies a decent job.

Sadly Disney may cancel the series. Shame as it's really good.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:20 pm

Kenny wrote: ^I need to get back on that show so I can discuss the spoilerific stuff with you.

I'd urge ya not to click the spoilers then, 'cos they're pretty nice twists when they come!

Having just watched the final episode though, I've decided, it really is probably the best thing I've ever watched. Took a bit to get going, but once I found it more interesting, I became quickly addicted and hoovered them all up. It was with some genuine sadness that I watched the final concluding few minutes of the final episode, knowing that the supplies have now all dried up, and it'll probably be a long time before I get to binge on some proper good shit like this again. Guess this means I'll have to buy a Breaking Bad boxset, since I've only ever heard awesome things about it.

I'd been prepared for some proper gritty stuff, and some of it is, but it is all nicely balanced by a rich undercurrent of dark humour.

5 seasons at 10-13 55-ish minute episodes per season plus a few 90-ish minute ones means it's quite a hell of a commitment to bang through it all quickly, but damn it was worth it. I think I'm gonna go 9.5 Hoppers on a corner out of 10. Simply great watching.

Also, this guy talking like this gave me some laughs;
phpBB [video]

St. Elmo's Fire has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:59 pm

You finished The Wire just like I did: watched it all in one-two months. I was so damn addicted to it. At the end I was like Clay Davis, "shiiiiiit". One of my favourite shows ever.

And Breaking Bad is similarly epic, it's essential that you watch it. There is no other show out there like The Wire though, it scratched an itch that I never knew that I had, for crime drama with socio-political themes and very grey characters.

Overall, who were your favourite characters? Lester Freamon, D'Angelo, Bodie (love his subtle character development over time), Omar ("of course!"), Colvin & Chris Partlow were mine.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: St. Elmo's Fire
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:47 pm

Lester was definitely a force to be reckoned with, was glad how it ended for him.
Omar, well
I was deffo rooting for him all the way. Was pretty sad when he got shot, but he knew that was the game. I was kinda glad it was some little punk that got him rather than the really bad guys

Jay Landsman, just for being the caustic motherfucker he is, but also sharp enough to hold his own against most of the others.
Colvin was deffo a dude I liked, and
it was good to see him watching, looking a lot older but still as content as ever as his protege Namond, using that fire from the streets he still had, do something worthwhile at a debating even and look like he had potential to go places in the future.

Snoop, how in the bloody hell is a little girl who probably weighs about 7 stone able to be so intimidating?
Kima Greggs, as well as being a great detective and having a strict moral code that is worthy of respect, I found her life story quite interesting too.
Cedric Daniels, very interesting and smart character also.
Bubbs, was glad how he ended up too, nice dude.
Vondas/the Greeks, funny how the sorta business they were in, and the precise and careful manner with which they handled illegal business professionally, they were probably coining millions of dollars per month, each, yet hung about smoking in that scabby cafe all day. Vondas had a sincere, straightforward openness about him that I admired.
Clay Davis, apart from the lolworthy "sheeeeeit" thing he did, I liked how he went from a foolish sort of a character taking bribes left right and centre, to a real force to be reckoned with when they forced his back against the wall. But then I guess one doesn't become Senator if one is a dumbass.
Carcetti and his right hand man Norman were pretty interesting to watch.

I think what made it for me is the exploration of everything, as well the characters' lives getting more and more detailed, the movement of the show taking a look at several parts of the system was pretty interesting. Gave a real impression of what a shit time some of those at or near the top of their game go through every day, too.
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:56 pm

Oh yeah, Daniels was another favourite. That guy was next to Freamon as the most intelligent guy in the police force, I think. I was happy for him when
He got the promotion, but he eventually found out that not only was it not for him, but he was also sick and tired of the politics involved. Guess that is what happens when a genuinely good, honest, hardworking cop gets to such a position. Not a whole lot he could do without ruffling some feathers. I was hoping that somebody like Freamon would take over from him, but alas, that couldn't happen due to certain circumstances...

Cutty was underrated. He went through quite a change over time and tried to be the influence for the kids and stop them from making the same mistakes he did. It's a rather sombre tale overall, that one.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:03 pm

Yeah, I felt bad for him when
he ended up getting shot up having one last shot at trying to get through to Michael. Not so nice seeing his not-street-hard-enough friend Duke end up shooting up with those horse freaks.

Whilst we're in spoiler mode, I watched sitting on one ass-cheek as McNulty and Freamon's prank spiraled wildly outta control. The end was ambiguous, they maybe did end up in jail a year later, but for what we saw, I think they were both incredibly lucky, but I was relieved. I did for a minute think that McNulty actually was dead when Lansman was doing his usual rather succinct eulogy right near the end, thought maybe he'd had a drunken accident or maybe deliberately killed himself. Was glad that was another prank!

Oh, when they went to the FBI for the psychological profiling of the "serial killer" that McNulty invented, and from the limited amount of info they had, delivered a few paragraphs' worth of mostly-bad personality traits that, by that point in the show's run, everyone watching knew fitted Jimmy McNulty to a tee, almost perfectly? That was also a "lol" moment! :lol:
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby mue 26 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:41 pm

Ray Donovan. Ep 10 was brilliant. Love this show.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mue 26 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:52 pm

The first ep of the Beeb's new gangster period drama Peaky Blinders was...blinding! Sorry. It was really very good though, and I have my hopes high for this mini series now.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby beedle » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:33 am

yeah, went out of my way to watch it since it has a great cast, great writer and was filmed near me.
beedle
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kenny » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:37 am

Justified.

Took me awhile but finally getting on it.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic