What TV series are you watching?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: What TV series are you watching?

Postby OL » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:07 pm

^^Not all blind people act the same though. People who have been that way since birth often come off more the way Affleck played it (and yeah, he actually did a good job of it), but if someone goes blind after several years of being able to see, and as long as their eyes still look normal, they might not have that totally vacant stare you're expecting.
So y'know, I never really saw that as a flaw, so much as a detail they didn't bother with because they didn't necessarily have to.

I mean, imagine if you went blind right this very moment... would you completely cease all head and eye movement?
I can't imagine I would.

OL has received a thanks from: Kenny
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:37 pm

That is true, but it still bothered me since he moved around as if he knew where to go around all with such ease without much explanation on why he's able to do so other than he's "the motha-fuckin' Daredevil". At least we had the sonar vision in the Affleck movie to justify how he's able to "see".

Especially at the end of one of the episodes, 3 I think, after that big hallway fight. He KNEW exactly where the kid was and where the padlock on the door was without making one single mistake. WTF. Some of this does deserve some explaining or you might as well forgo him being blind at all.

Kenny has received a thanks from: OL
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:52 pm

Ah, gotcha. I thought you meant more so the way the guy moves his face and whatnot.
But get a little further, and there is a sorta-kinda explanation for it. For the way he "sees" the world.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat May 16, 2015 3:29 pm

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver.

The man is a genius. This show is hilarious.

Crimson Ryan has received a thanks from: Rakim
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sun May 17, 2015 11:52 pm

Final episode of Mad Men.
It was hard to go into this with any expectations; it's literally the only show that I've ever followed that you just can't harbor expectations with. It's always unpredictable, yet weirdly organic regardless. It was nice to see that most of the characters got generally happy "endings" (if you could call them that) with the notable exception of one.
But of course they had to leave things just ambiguous enough to keep people speculating and considering it for a long time to come. Don Draper's "ending" is very vague; in some respects it could imply that a major change was aroused within him, while in others it might imply that he simply goes back to being who he's always been. I think it's left "blank" enough that, for anyone who follows the show through from the beginning, it'll leave an interesting sort of "haunt" in the back of your mind; not because of anything disturbing, mind you, but because it leaves you wondering about things without getting any real answers.
So yeah, interesting final episode. It's not the crowning jewel in the entire Mad Men series by any means, but the show has always been more about the entirety of arcs and storylines anyway, not just individual episodes. One of the few (if not the only) genuinely "artistic" tv shows I've ever seen. Intelligent and thought-provoking, never reliant on cheap twists or thrills. I've enjoyed it since I started watching, and I think it'll survive pretty well in people's minds as something that can be analyzed and dissected from a lot of different angles.

OL has received a thanks from: sand4fish
OL
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon May 18, 2015 9:23 pm

So I've been watching this show called Battle Creek, and really enjoying it.
It's a network cop show, which is usually something I just can't get into; murder investigation of the week, streamlined police procedure, all that shit I usually just can't stand. Shows like that may as well come off of an assembly line these days, there are so many and most of them are all the same.
But instead of soullessly being all about the crimes and procedure, as so many others are, this one was more focused on the characters and their interactions, which resulted in it being somewhat of a comedy as well. Not to mention that the two leads are really likable actors anyway, with Josh Duhamel as the seemingly perfect FBI agent and Dean Winters (motherfucking Mayhem from the Allstate Insurance commercials :lol: ) as the sort of grungier, clearly imperfect detective that gets teamed with him. It's not some life-changing show, maybe not the kind that I'd end up calling my "favorite," but it's been a damn good one regardless, and I've consistently been entertained. There aren't enough shows that do that for me as it is.

But of course, as I should have seen coming, the network cancelled it. It's gonna finish its season and be done.
Seems like everything I really like these days (comedies in particular) ends up being cancelled before they can even gain an audience. Pisses me the hell off that shit like The Big Bang Theory and Two Broke Girls (worst shows on tv, seriously) continue to go strong, but something with actual worth like this is inevitably doomed. If I end up liking a show on network tv, chances are damn good that it won't last. Irritating as all fuck. And I was really happy to regularly see Dean Winters in something like this. Likable as hell, and the role was just right for him.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Mon May 18, 2015 9:35 pm

That really sucks.

Vince Gilligan wrote the pilot for that years ago and it got shelved quickly. It wasn't until Breaking Bad came out (almost suffering a similar fate) that they decided to take it out and dust it off, only to have it ordered and ultimately cancelled in its first season.

I'd be pretty depressed if I was Gilligan right now. He really liked that script apparently before CBS shelved it.

Kenny has received a thanks from: OL
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Mon May 18, 2015 10:02 pm

Just getting into Game of Thrones for the first time. Ep. 5 so far. Damn its good.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby south carmain » Sun May 24, 2015 3:57 pm

Been watching breaking bad for the past 3 days. The show is so depressing yet so entertaining.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby OL » Mon May 25, 2015 12:16 pm

Watched the first season of a show called The Red Road, mainly for the fact that it's a crime story involving an american indian tribe (and being that my favorite completed comic series of all time is Scalped, this stuff is totally up my alley).
The first season is good; it's got some interesting hooks, and the acting is pretty well above average. And Jason Momoa is always strangely compelling in just about anything he does. But overall it was a bit too "quiet" for me to get all too excited about it. Good for one watch, but then you're done.
But I started watching the second season, and I have to say it gets much, much better. Maybe it's because they don't have to establish characters by this point or something, but they're able to dive right into a good murder story, plus a bunch of fallout from the first season's story, and it ends up much more gripping than the first season was. I'm only three episodes in at the moment (each season is six), but I should get to see the rest tomorrow. Too bad there won't be anymore after that, since it was cancelled.

Also caught the season finale of that show Battle Creek I was talking about, and it was easily one of the best episodes of a network drama that I've seen in a long time. Great character development, great story structure. Thankfully it didn't have a cliffhanger ending, so that's good.
Totally fucking shameful that this was cancelled, but then in the same day I find out that Scorpion was renewed for a second season (good god, Scorpion is a load of sucky cheesy bullshit; absolutely hate that show).
So yeah, I think I legitimately hate CBS now.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby sand4fish » Tue May 26, 2015 12:38 pm

Has anyone seen a tv series called "Awake" with Jason Isaacs? It had such a promising premise, too bad it got cancelled. Though I usually hate crime procedural, this one is really worth it. I strongly recommend it. It had at least a great "ending"!
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Riku Rose » Tue May 26, 2015 7:57 pm

I remember when it was first shown on TV I thought it sounded quite cool, but then it got canceled after a few episodes so I never bothered with it.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby sand4fish » Tue May 26, 2015 9:32 pm

Riku Rose wrote: I remember when it was first shown on TV I thought it sounded quite cool, but then it got canceled after a few episodes so I never bothered with it.

It got cancelled, but the entire season was aired. The final episode is pretty awesome as it worked as a cliffhanger to a possible 2nd season or the series true ending.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Kenny » Wed May 27, 2015 4:04 am

Supergirl Pilot.

Holy shit, this SUCKS. They should cancel it now. CANCEL IT.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Wed May 27, 2015 6:36 am

I'm at the 4th episode of firefly and it's alright but I don't see it as good as everyone on the internet seems to think it is. Maybe I just went in to it with too high expectations.

south carmain has received a thanks from: Kenny
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic