Self Defence Is Bad

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Postby LawXiu » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:41 pm

First fight I had in school the head decided the best punishment was to make me stand in the entrance hall with buckets of sand. Wasn't allowed to put them down for an hour then when your hands start to hurt they give you lines to do. I didn't want to do the lines so I asked to hold the buckets for longer. Fuck, if looks could kill.

As for martial arts in schools it's a waste of time. I only say that because at my school I only had PE two hours in a two week time table. They would have to discipline each child to practice at home each night. We was taught but no one was really interested.

It's relatively cheap to put a child into a martial arts club anyway, even if your local club's expensive you know the child is that little bit safer on the streets.
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:47 pm

I told a guy at work I know jujitsu and he believed me. I wanted to join the Dojo across the road from my house but the adult timetable clashes with my work hours.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby mue 26 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:57 am

LawXiu wrote:First fight I had in school the head decided the best punishment was to make me stand in the entrance hall with buckets of sand. Wasn't allowed to put them down for an hour then when your hands start to hurt they give you lines to do. I didn't want to do the lines so I asked to hold the buckets for longer. Fuck, if looks could kill.

As for martial arts in schools it's a waste of time. I only say that because at my school I only had PE two hours in a two week time table. They would have to discipline each child to practice at home each night. We was taught but no one was really interested.

It's relatively cheap to put a child into a martial arts club anyway, even if your local club's expensive you know the child is that little bit safer on the streets.

Yeah but thats kinda my point PE once a week is not even nearly enough, but I totally agree though going to a proper teacher outside of school would be important as well.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Atlantean » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:32 pm

I was bullied a lot when I was young: I was short and fat, and not very outgoing. Same thing in highschool. What I just LOVE nowadays is that people who used to make fun of me now act like we are long time friends. Makes me giggle. On the inside.

Anyway, I'll just go ahead and be the bad guy of the thread.
There's an important distinction to be done: what you did was what the guy deserved, not what was right. You should have tried words first, walk away ignoring second, and if he still wouldn't leave you alone and pushed you again, do half of what you did.

You may argue that words wouldn't get you anywhere past that point, or that he wouldn't leave you alone. But anyone can argue "How can you claim that without trying?". You can also argue that he pushed you, even violently, so you were past the point of negotiation and you just "stood up for yourself". But did you really have to leave the guy in blood? Did you really have to "beat the living shit out of him"?
Probably not all the way, right?

The thing is, your school as a point in terms of your aggressiveness regarding the matter. Now their solution doesn't do anything to help solve the situation either, but that's another story.

Still, yes, you can be proud of yourself for not letting some wanker take advantage of you. But don't be too proud, as you could always have done better.
Atlantean
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: Lantean
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Steam Wallet Drain Game

Postby ys » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:52 pm

I also believe in standing up for yourself. Once a guy was annoying me for months at school. After a while it got too much when he tried to throw a basket ball after my head for no reason (the ball got out of play during a match and he just passed by). So I avoided the ball, picked it up, kicked the ball full force against the back of his head and then beat him up quite severely. Luckily the school didn't punish me because they knew that he had been bothering me for months. Which leaves the interesting question : why didn't they make him stop when they knew of it?

Some years before that I damaged a guy's wrists at school by turning them around quickly with a lot of force. So he had to go to the hospital and walk around with a cast for weeks. Others had to take notes in his place. Again, same story : the school knew that he was annoying lots of people. The moral of the story is that he was very friendly towards me after that ;)
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby silent killer » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:26 pm

mue 26 wrote:I think this is very true, words are often more powerful then physical strength, and while I think you should stick up and defend yourself if anyone is or about to physically attack you, it is important to remember that these people are looking for a reaction and cant stand it when you stay calm, so sometimes when we act all wild because of someone prevocing us they win. Im not saying Im always calm but I try to be

Also I know you might think Im taking the piss but seriously practicing a martial art I think helps you stay calm and stops these kind of things from happening as much as when you have your head up that certain confidence about you, you will find not as people wont wanna start trouble as much. I really think martial arts should be pushed more at schools!
martial arts will only help keep people from openly attacking you. They won't stop anyone from mocking you or anything else. I knew a guy back in high school was a black belt in Kenpo. The harrasment this guy took would make most people give up, and this was from his friends. And they picked on him because they knew he couldn't fight back.
silent killer
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

XBL: arcane devices
Currently playing: Cross Code

Postby Clint » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:26 pm

silent killer wrote:
mue 26 wrote:I think this is very true, words are often more powerful then physical strength, and while I think you should stick up and defend yourself if anyone is or about to physically attack you, it is important to remember that these people are looking for a reaction and cant stand it when you stay calm, so sometimes when we act all wild because of someone prevocing us they win. Im not saying Im always calm but I try to be

Also I know you might think Im taking the piss but seriously practicing a martial art I think helps you stay calm and stops these kind of things from happening as much as when you have your head up that certain confidence about you, you will find not as people wont wanna start trouble as much. I really think martial arts should be pushed more at schools!
martial arts will only help keep people from openly attacking you. They won't stop anyone from mocking you or anything else. I knew a guy back in high school was a black belt in Kenpo. The harrasment this guy took would make most people give up, and this was from his friends. And they picked on him because they knew he couldn't fight back.

This is why you should take up boxing or MMA. Or both.

You can learn the basic principles and get yourself out of a difficult situation, even if the other guy is bigger and stronger. These are skills people need to teach themselves at a young age. I'd call them 'life-skills' as a matter of fact.

But yeah, this is only needed when words don't help a situation. Sometimes in life you just have to take a few hits and act accordingly.

Just never show weakness to someone willing to fight. You're giving them exactly what they want. Easy pickings.
Clint
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: Fallout 3

Postby LawXiu » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:54 pm

Well I started school in Hong Kong and never had problems there. The problems started when I started secondary school here. When the other kids found out I couldn't really read they started getting to me. I never got beaten up because the first couple of fights I had I come of a lot better. The third fight was quite bad and I rammed the boy's face into a tree. I was sent to another school after that where the problems started all over again. Determined not to get into fights again I stopped going. Didn't go back for months and missed a lot of my education. The first school excepted me back for year 11 and no one started anything with me anymore.

If I hadn't been kicked out of school I think I could have done well in my GCSE's but my reading just wasn't good enough.
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby silent killer » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:09 pm

Clint wrote:
silent killer wrote:

You can learn the basic principles and get yourself out of a difficult situation, even if the other guy is bigger and stronger. These are skills people need to teach themselves at a young age. I'd call them 'life-skills' as a matter of fact.

But yeah, this is only needed when words don't help a situation. Sometimes in life you just have to take a few hits and act accordingly.

Just never show weakness to someone willing to fight. You're giving them exactly what they want. Easy pickings.
No, he couldn't fight back because if he did he'd get kicked out of his dojo and lose his black belt status. I honestly believe he'd take a beating or two before he struck back. He almost lost it once though, when they started talkiing about his little sister. Suffice it to say, that no one ever said anything about his family again. But yeah, other than that you could do almost anything to this guy and he'd sit there and stew.
silent killer
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kenshin » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:56 am

silent killer wrote:
Clint wrote:
silent killer wrote:

No, he couldn't fight back because if he did he'd get kicked out of his dojo and lose his black belt status. I honestly believe he'd take a beating or two before he struck back. He almost lost it once though, when they started talkiing about his little sister. Suffice it to say, that no one ever said anything about his family again. But yeah, other than that you could do almost anything to this guy and he'd sit there and stew.

That's why doing boxing or some other Non traditional MA is alot better. Not only for effectiveness, but for the fact that they don't realy give a shit about what happens outside of the gym.
Kenshin
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby silent killer » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:30 am

I think your thinking is wrong. and Atlantean is of a similar mindset to my own. The type of person you are describing is the type of asshat Riku knocked around, only with actual fighting ability.
silent killer
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby KiBa » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:41 am

Kenshin wrote:And now... ironically... I'm a police officer. Funny how things work out.

I don't think it's ironic. What you described was a school in a state of anarchy, where the inmates run the asylum and the authorities are incompetent. You didn't cause trouble, but when it came to you, you nipped it in the bud yourself because nobody else would. Sounds just like you've always been a natural policeman - keeping the peace, because peace isn't the absence of violence but the presence of justice. In fact, I'd be surprised if a man like you didn't become an officer of the law.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby mue 26 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:11 am

silent killer wrote:

I see what you are saying but Im not just talking about physical ability, if you really dedicate yourself to a martial art (and maybe something other then MMA, something a bit deeper) it will give you a clamness and confidence in yourself so people will genuinly just be put of mocking you or taking the piss, and if it doesnt, I dont think it would bother you too much much as hopefully you would have such high confidence in yourself
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mue 26 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:29 am

quote]martial arts will only help keep people from openly attacking you. They won't stop anyone from mocking you or anything else. I knew a guy back in high school was a black belt in Kenpo. The harrasment this guy took would make most people give up, and this was from his friends. And they picked on him because they knew he couldn't fight back.[/quote]

I see what you are saying but Im not just talking about physical ability, if you really dedicate yourself to a martial art (and maybe something other then MMA, something a bit deeper maybe) it will give you a clamness and confidence in yourself so people will genuinly just be put of mocking you or taking the piss, and if it does not stop then it hopefully it would not bother you too much as you would have such high confidence in yourself and something you are so dedicated to, which you could put all your energy into. Bullies generally speaking(but not always) pick on people who have lower confidence, and by being more in tune with your body and having better posture I believe you will have a much better confidence in yourself. But if it does continue just because you are going against the grain, you should keep your head up and be proud.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Jokatech19 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:54 am

[quote="Atlantean"]
But did you really have to leave the guy in blood?
[quote]

LOL!

I agree that studying martial arts nullifies alot of aggressive situations. Learn a style that utilizes quick incapacitation and locks. There is no dishonor subduing a crazed fag who attacks you if it's done peacefully.
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: AC: Revelations

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic