Should Islamic face veils be banned.

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Should Islamic face veils be banned.

Postby LawXiu » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:20 pm

Belgian parliament votes to ban wearing of veil.

The Belgian lower house of parliament on Thursday approved a bill to ban wearing the full Islamic face veil in public, a move that could make Belgium the first European country to make the practice a criminal offence.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20100429/tt ... 02f96.html

As I understand it, veils are actually nothing to do with religion and more to do with men not wanting other men to see what they own.

Where's Kiba tonight?
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby mue 26 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:33 pm

There was something here in the UK where a woman was eventualy fired from a school where she worked as she decided one day that she was always going to where the full viel while in the school. I can completely understand the school is this case though, as to be honest if your working with younge children its just silly to always wear a full viel so they cant see your face.

But outright banning it, isnt that just asking for trouble?
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby LawXiu » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:38 pm

Well as I said above, I always thought it was nothing to do with their religion and more to do with hiding from men. So why wear one in schools?
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby mue 26 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:45 pm

LawXiu wrote:Well as I said above, I always thought it was nothing to do with their religion and more to do with hiding from men. So why wear one in schools?

Ive always thought it was quite religious thing but otherwise I dont really know?

I suppose this was goin on during the post 9/11 tension where for whatever reason she might have felt like she wanted to put up some cultural barriers and seperate herself a lil bit maybe.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kenny » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:49 pm

Its sort of a public hazard if their face is covered every day at all times. I mean it can be anyone under that thing.

Dunno about banning but they should just make it a requirement io show their face in public.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby wude » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:19 pm

mue 26 wrote:
LawXiu wrote:Well as I said above, I always thought it was nothing to do with their religion and more to do with hiding from men. So why wear one in schools?

Ive always thought it was quite religious thing but otherwise I dont really know?

LawXiu is right , it has nothing to do with islam ,it's more about cultural habits .
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: m.a.m.e

Postby OL » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:09 pm

Government-mandated dress codes.
Yeah, that's heading in the right direction.[/sarcasm]
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Gingefners, The » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:20 am

OL wrote:Government-mandated dress codes.

Next thing you know Silvio Berlusconi will be proposing an EU wide ban on women wearing tops in case they're smuggling bombs in their bras.
Gingefners, The
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: with myself

Postby LawXiu » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:50 am

Gingefners, The wrote:
OL wrote:Government-mandated dress codes.

Next thing you know Silvio Berlusconi will be proposing an EU wide ban on women wearing tops in case they're smuggling bombs in their bras.

All in favor say aye...
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:47 pm

NAY!!!
There are more saggy, ugly women out there than there are good-looking, perky ones.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Martin » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:11 pm

I see it like this; How can hoodies be banned in shopping centres and veils not?
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

Postby LawXiu » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:50 pm

OL wrote:NAY!!!
There are more saggy, ugly women out there than there are good-looking, perky ones.

Yeah but you never know what they're hiding. ;-)
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ys » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:45 pm

I wrote this in another topic earlier. It's the same as walking around with a Halloween mask for example. The police won't like it since it looks suspicious, as if you're hiding something for a reason. Besides that it's a form of social courtesy not to do this.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby mue 26 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:21 pm

Hmm you know I kinda suspect theres an ulteria(if I spelt that right)motive behind this for the Belgian government. Maybe their hoping that by doing this immigration will cut down or people will leave the country... Still a stupid idea by the belgian government though.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Spokane » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:16 pm

I have seen women here (very few of course) wearing their Islamic dresses but they were showing a lot of their face, such as on the bus sometime this month. Seen them at the mall a lot too. Yet I have also seen the full veil. I can see how it could be a security concern, but I don't think the women really want to wear the damn things but they are forced to. Some women might like this law since their husband can no longer force them to wear one.

The bottom line is though, it shouldn't be the government telling them they can't either.

These women have two choices, have their husbands force them to wear a veil, or be told by the government that its now against the law and you can't wear one even if you wanted to.

Of course in this case the government has had the last word. Possibly. Maybe now they will get bombed.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Next

Return to Off Topic