Superman

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Your new superman

Postby Kenny » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:04 pm

Now that we got group therapy out of the way, let's continue to talk about how much Superman sucks again.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Bluecast » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:43 pm

Fan mockup.
If they fixed the neck line and made the boots all red. Then kinda like it.

Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:27 pm

Geez guys calm the fuck down. I know it wasn't racist I was just trying to make DoubleORen have one of his break downs.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Peter » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:55 pm

Ryudo wrote:Fan mockup.

I have no problems with the actor playing Superman, the problem i have with the franchise is that there hasnt been a decent script in 30 years! :???:
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Bluecast » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:11 pm

Erm..
Was just talking about the costume not the film.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Peter » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:39 pm

I didnt know why i quoted you. My bad . Was just making a point :D
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby DoubleO_Ren » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:45 pm

@Clint & Peter, Riku is just one of the few guys here that has a hard on for me, I never knew being passionate about Shenmue 3 on a Shenmue forum was a bad thing, go figure. In my opinion Shenmue 3 is worth a shot so I give my reasons for it, his opinion Shenmue 3 is a waste of time and money and he gives his reasons. I don't agree with him so we debate about it, defending our positions on the matter but being the elitist follower that he is instead of having a intelligent debate he'd rather berate and insult me for being a Shenmue fan on a Shenmue forum :???: Yes sometimes I say Sega sucks & what not but why not? I don't have to be serious 24/7 Riku clearly isn't serious 90% of the time if he is I'd generally be worried abut him.

I was making fun of Will Smith's personality at the end of the day just like how people would make fun of Sean Connery's Scottish accent even though he's meant to be British Bond.
Hey, i'm all for movies that have the intentions you speak of.

But it gets to a point where I just know what to expect. These films are everywhere now. I enjoyed Batman and Spiderman as a kid, and yeah, it was cool to see these films the first time they came out. But now? It's totally fucking boring. And in my opinion, yes, it is ruining the movie industry. Beating a dead horse, if you like.

Of course money talks and all, but it's gotten to the stage where everything else takes a back seat because of americas strange obsession with comic book heroes. I might be able to watch the new Superman for example, but I already know what is going to happen in the film. So why should I pay money to see something i've seen 100 times before? Why should anyone?

I see what you mean when it comes to the reboots and what not, those are irritating as hell and I'm far from taking them seriously or even being excited about them. X-Men first Class looks horrible to me they need to leave it alone seriously, Superman as a character is just not relevant anymore in this day and age, we love anti heroes and badasses now the all american, stand up for what is right is a thing of yesteryear which is why Superman will always fail as a movie unless they do something different and make his enemy a lot more interesting.
So I agree to a certain extent but being the comic book fanboy that I am I could never get sick of comic book movies and seeing them come to life will always be incentive enough for me to go see these movies. Being a fan of adaptations alone is a huge push also, I love different interpretations of characters within another medium, I always find that interesting. I guess that's where the interest lies with fans of these movies at least that's where mine does.
DoubleO_Ren
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Joe Pesci » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:37 am

Superman is a terrible superhero. However, there is a great comic book called Superman: Red Son, written by Mark Millar. Has anyone read this? That is the story the next film should follow.
Joe Pesci
sUk 4 Life
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:48 am

Joe Pesci wrote:Superman is a terrible superhero.

Dislike him as a character all you want, but Superman is the superhero. The majority of ones that exist now (including Batman) would never have existed if not for him, nor would the term "superhero" itself likely be used in quite the way it is.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:31 am

Gimmie a Superman movie with Doomsday and Supes getting killed. Then we'll be talking.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Bluecast » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:16 am

really want darksied
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:07 am

Darkseid was only really turned into a Superman villain by the animated series. And even so, he's the kind of character you really need to build up to. He's pretty much the baddest of the bad, so you can't really just throw him into the fray randomly. I figure maybe if they started out with a movie focusing on villains with weapons more advanced than they should have, maybe something involving Metallo or someone like that, then slowly reveal that the technology comes from Apokalypse, and maybe have Darkseid as the villain in a second or third movie. Something like that could work.
But yeah, just using Darkseid immediately would totally null the impact he's supposed to have as a character. When he shows up in the comics (or even in the Superman or Justice League animated series), it's usually after a lot of buildup, usually leading into something big and epic. Much rather see someone like Mongul first, if they absolutely had to have a sort of "conqueror" character.
Mainly, I just think they should delve more into the sci-fi aspects of Superman's mythos. The movies usually stick to Luthor or Krypton-derived characters, which gets old. And while I actually think Luthor should be an ever-present force (he really hasn't been properly represented in the movies yet anyway; I've always thought they should cast Billy Zane), I want to see some giant robots and aliens and shit. I mean, why even try to keep it realistic when you're focusing on a character like Superman of all people? They should really just let loose and go crazy with some kind of giant, bombastic action story.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:11 am

If I see zod or luthor I am walking out of the theater and will never watch a supes live action film again.
So fucking sick of them.
Ah well. The DC animated films been pretty good and so far better than any live action attempt/
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Joe Pesci » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:24 am

OL wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:Superman is a terrible superhero.

Dislike him as a character all you want, but Superman is the superhero. The majority of ones that exist now (including Batman) would never have existed if not for him, nor would the term "superhero" itself likely be used in quite the way it is.

The superhero genre is so hackneyed and cheesy that maybe it would be better off without him ever existing. For one, it is too easy. Seems like the easiest, most bland characters come from the superhero genre. Supes is public enemy number one when it comes to this. He has no personality, he is the chiseled, well groomed, morally perfect superhuman that every man wants to be. The person that anyone could plug themselves into and live vicariously through. he is invincible, he is a genius, practically. He has no true faults or weaknesses and it makes for the most tedious conflict possible. He has absolutely no room to grow as a character and that's why I hate him.

Plus, I diagree with your assessment. I think that I Like what Alan Moore did with Watchmen. It's kind of this existential thought that superheroes would always come about, even in a parallel universe, but yes, they would be totally different then the ones that we read about in comics today. Has Superman ever had a good line of dialogue? Has he ever cried? Has he ever struggled with anything on a human level?

I think Jesus was the first superhero that actually struggled with these things, and he is a much better superhero and/or character than Superman.
Joe Pesci
sUk 4 Life
Machine Gun Fist

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:33 pm

I'll admit, I used to despise Superman. A hell of a lot more than any of youz ever could. To call him a one-dimensional character though is fuckin ridiculous. Superman is an amazing character. He's had to deal with the death of his father, his best friend, his whole race... twice.

He has to deal with the face that he's practically a God amongst ment, whenever he travels back in time, he has to resist the urge to help the needy, knowing that any interference will fuck up the future and turn everyone into ant-headed demons with 8 fingers a hand. He has to take responsibility for every single hero on the planet, keep Batman in check, and dish out advice to all sidekicks, all the while trying to hold down a shitty job, be a good husband, a good son, and a reliable brother.

Superman can crush a rock in his hand to create a diamond. He could single-handedly police the entire planet, but he knows that there is only so much he should do. Not only this, but considering just how powerful he has, he has to show complete restraint when dealing with criminals. He has to really hold back when punching someone. And, despite how much he does for the world, there's always a lot of people who hate him.

I'd imagine that Superman is a very difficult character to write well, and he's an even more difficult character to be. I mean, just really think about it for a second. Imagine you were Superman. What would you do? I actually feel sorry for the guy tbh.

(Btw, I realise he doesn't actually exist, I'm talking about the world he lives in...)
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic