The Game Of Thrones TV topic

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: The Game Of Thrones TV topic

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue May 21, 2013 3:50 pm

He was also very skilled. Remember he takes out several guards with said wooden sword and i believe in the book he even kills at least one.

Henry Spencer wrote: And if you think about it, Joffrey is so stupid, he has driven off both The Hound and Barristan Selmy, two of the most formidable opponents in the series. It's not like he'll care, being the idiot that he is, but Tywin Lannister, as brilliant as he is, can only do so much, so if either of them two come knocking, Joffrey is in big trouble.

Thing with Ned is, he's always hated Jaime, but Jaime fought against the "Sandor Clegance" equivalent back in his youth and bested him. He was only known as "The Smiling Knight" but was incredibly powerful, killing unknown numbers of knights on all sides. http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Smiling_Knight

Bronn really is the dark horse, think back to when he saved Tyrion when they first met, he fought a fully armoured veteran warrior of House Stark with no shield or armour. His opponents always seem to underestimate him.

But he also didn't fight with honor :lol: and it was from house Tully ;-)
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue May 21, 2013 4:12 pm

Ah yes, Tully. I thought that since it was Catelyn's sister that it was Stark, forgot about that. And when it comes to living or dying, I think fighting dirty is the best way of fighting. And he dodged a lot before he killed the guy, so it's not like he went straight for the guy's balls or anything like that.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue May 21, 2013 4:27 pm

Yeah i have no problem with how he won. Bronn is awesome.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Tue May 21, 2013 5:30 pm

Even your sig says so. ;-)

All comes down to the speed and agility vs slowness but armoured argument that's a trade off in medieval thing and quite a few computer games also, doesn't it? Jorah vs the Dothraki showed that too, but the other way (his armour was put to better use than the Tully knight's).

I do agree that Bronn is awesome, he is one of my favourite characters on the show, and is actually one of the more likeable (which isn't an attribute usually paired to a sell-sword!) characters too, IMO. I also think though that even though the Tully knight looked impressive in his suit, he would have been thrown out that moon window thingy pretty easily by any of the other main fighters too...

Whilst I was busy praising Hound before, I did forget that even though he wins his trial by combat, he did manage to get himself kidnapped in the first place, which counts against him I guess...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed May 22, 2013 2:51 am

Well he was pissed when they caught him but you could tell they were all shit scared off him in the cave even before he won the trial.

And he ripped a guys insides out with one hand!

phpBB [video]

I could think of a few that would beat him but not many could.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Calshot » Wed May 22, 2013 3:43 am

Ned was an above-average fighter, but wasn't anything special compared to the top tier guys. He could hang with them for sure, but his strength was mainly as a master tactician. His Valyrian steel sword also gives him an edge.

King Robert in his prime was crazy strong. He could swing a warhammer with one arm that Ned could barely lift with both arms.

Jaime didn't really beat the Smiling Knight; he just held him off until Arthur Dayne could duel him. I predict Jaime will be like Qhorin Halfhand and end up being better with his left hand than he was with his right.

I really like Bronn, but as a fighter I think he's a bit overrated. He's capable and it's not accident that he's still alive, but I don't think he offers anything the top fighters haven't seen before.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed May 22, 2013 1:15 pm

I liked that they added the Ned/Jamie fight but Ned always under rated himself in front of others but he was able to survive 3 Kings guards during the rebellion and even Selmy mentions he is too modest as far as combat skills go.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed May 22, 2013 5:09 pm

Calshot wrote: Ned was an above-average fighter, but wasn't anything special compared to the top tier guys. He could hang with them for sure, but his strength was mainly as a master tactician. His Valyrian steel sword also gives him an edge.

King Robert in his prime was crazy strong. He could swing a warhammer with one arm that Ned could barely lift with both arms.

Jaime didn't really beat the Smiling Knight; he just held him off until Arthur Dayne could duel him. I predict Jaime will be like Qhorin Halfhand and end up being better with his left hand than he was with his right.

I really like Bronn, but as a fighter I think he's a bit overrated. He's capable and it's not accident that he's still alive, but I don't think he offers anything the top fighters haven't seen before.

You're talking more about strength, when there's also proficiency with their own choices with a blade to consider as well. Robert was a great fighter though and we never get to see/hear much of Tywin fight. One thing to consider about Tywin is though, he's never lost a battle.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Calshot » Thu May 23, 2013 5:17 am

:-k
I don't ever remember Tywin having never lost a battle. He's won most of them and has never a lost a war, but I'm sure he's lost some. The only one I can think of though is the Battle of the Fords. Sure, it benefited Tywin more in the long run, but it was still technically a loss. Anyways, I think Tywin's victories mainly stem from his brilliance as a commander rather than prowess as a fighter. He mainly leads from the reserve, so he sees a lot less combat than someone who leads on the front lines (like the KINGINDANORF Robb Stark).
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu May 23, 2013 8:33 am

Tywin has lost at least 3 battles to Robb who is undefeated. Don't think its even mention if Tywin is a great swordsman.

phpBB [video]

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:17 pm

After a long 2 weeks its back on tonight/Tomorrow :mrgreen:

Season 3 OST comes out on Tuesday on itunes and an un announced date on CD[rumored for 9th July].

Ill tag the track listing and simply say non book readers should avoid reading them...

1. Main Title
2. A Lannister Always Pays His Debts
3. Dracarys
4. I Paid the Iron Price
5. Chaos is a Ladder
6. Dark Wings, Dark Words
7. You Know Nothing
8. Wall of Ice
9. Kingslayer
10. I Have To Go North
11. White Walkers
12. It’s Always Summer Under the Sea (performed by Kerry Ingram)
13. Reek
14. The Bear and the Maiden Fair (performed by The Hold Steady)
15. The Night is Dark
16. The Lannisters Send Their Regards
17. Heir to Winterfell
18. Mhysa
19. For the Realm

Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:35 pm

Well fuck me that was a brutal episode! :shock:

Disappointed that
we didn't get to see Ser Barristan swinging a sword in anger. :sad: Nice to see Jorah fight again though, and that new guy Dario seems like quite the dangerous fighter!
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Bambi » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:21 pm

St. Elmo's Fire wrote: Well fuck me that was a brutal episode! :shock:

Disappointed that
we didn't get to see Ser Barristan swinging a sword in anger. :sad: Nice to see Jorah fight again though, and that new guy Dario seems like quite the dangerous fighter!

Sadly I had read a spoiler weeks ago (top comment of a download) but somehow it did nothing to lessen the actual shock of those scenes.

Bambi has received a thanks from: St. Elmo's Fire
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby Sonikku » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:05 pm

Dang, really wanted him to win in the end too.

Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:24 pm

Damn did they nail it!
Still annoyed they cut Great Jon Umber because i love what he does during the RW but they still nailed it.

Great episode all round in fact,

At last Bran did something and it was cool to see Summer and Shaggy Dog do some killing and nice to see Jon do something good.

The Hound and Arya scenes were great and Williams just continues to impress me with every season.

Nice mix of comedy as well with Walder Frey when he was giving the girls names and I loved the look he gave Robb when he saw Edmure's bride.

And yeah the killings, Just damn brutal and stating off with the stabs to the unborn baby? F'ing shocked I was and it just continued.

Grey Winds last shot :sad: Always knew I would hate seeing that wish he had been able to kill a few like in the book

That last look Robb gave to Cat was great, Poor sod has just seen his wife and unborn child be killed, arrows sticking in him and he just sort of gives up before Roose got to show viewers a little of what he is really like.
Michelle Fairley has been poorly used for most this season but she stole the show this episode and that final shot of her breaking down before having her throat slit was pretty powerful

So yeah Ive been waiting for this but also dreading it and the writers nailed it.

phpBB [video]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic