The Game Of Thrones TV topic

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: The Game Of Thrones TV topic

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:34 pm

I've said it before, but Ser Barristan Selmy. I hope we actually get to see him be a badass, rather than just have to take all the other characters' words for it (though it is those same cold and cynical characters mentioning his name with genuine respect that gives him such a "legendary" status)...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Calshot » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:41 am

I haven't watched the leaks, but I did see a scene of Barry the Bold fighting. It wasn't as bad as it could have been, but I was pretty disappointed.

He did alright. Killed a bunch mooks but got blindsided by the ring leader before Grey Worm got the guy. It shows that he has some skill, but it doesn't display the mastery Barristan actually has. In the books, you can really see all his experience and skill at play.

I read a fan justification that stated Barristan wasn't actually that skilled and was a product of hype and advertising, which is more of Game of Thrones subverting classic tropes. I really think that's giving D&D too much credit though. They just fucked up IMO, since Barristan is objectively the first or second best fighter (toss up between him and Arthur Dayne) in the books.

Calshot has received a thanks from: St. Elmo's Fire
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:29 pm

Calshot wrote: I haven't watched the leaks, but I did see a scene of Barry the Bold fighting. It wasn't as bad as it could have been, but I was pretty disappointed.

He did alright. Killed a bunch mooks but got blindsided by the ring leader before Grey Worm got the guy. It shows that he has some skill, but it doesn't display the mastery Barristan actually has. In the books, you can really see all his experience and skill at play.

I read a fan justification that stated Barristan wasn't actually that skilled and was a product of hype and advertising, which is more of Game of Thrones subverting classic tropes. I really think that's giving D&D too much credit though. They just fucked up IMO, since Barristan is objectively the first or second best fighter (toss up between him and Arthur Dayne) in the books.

I didn't think of it maybe being a satirical thing that people in Westeros have "believed the hype". It would be awfully out of place though since it's not really that type of show, in fact I don't even think I've even ever seen a cat in it...

I've not read the books, so in my comparatively limited viewing, Prince Oberyn was by far the most visually dazzling fighter, well and truly had the Mountain until he let ego stop him finishing the job quickly. The Hound on the TV show is also superb, big and strong and heavily armoured but fast and skilled with it. And enough of a badass to grab barehand the Valyrian metal blade the Brienne was using. She was also obviously skilled, but even with the advantage of that sword, I always thought her facing off against Hound would have ended differently in most other circumstances. Plus, only cunts name their swords and all that. ;-)
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Calshot » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:56 pm

^
Yeah, the Mountain/Oberyn duel was pretty true to form. The only bad things was that ridiculous spear twirling stunt double scene with like 17 cuts in 7 seconds. Hell, they actually made the ending of that duel more brutal than it was in the books.

You're also spot on with your assessment of The Hound. While they did mention it in the show, they underplayed how bad that wound The Hound had. He was practically dying of the infection in the books. While I also agree Brienne is skilled, I think her record is a bit inflated. Every guy she fought was injured or handicapped in some way or another (Jaime had been imprisoned for over a year, The Hound had the festering wound, in the books she beats Renly by dumb luck).
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby Raithos » Sun May 24, 2015 10:03 pm

Best ending to an episode yet.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby sand4fish » Mon May 25, 2015 4:44 am

Raithos wrote: Best ending to an episode yet.

I agree. I've been waiting for this moment since season 1, and it was so satisfying that I do not care if my week turns out a turd because I'll be smiling thinking of this episode. It was that good to me :lol:
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Sonikku » Thu May 28, 2015 11:01 pm

sand4fish wrote:

I agree. I've been waiting for this moment since season 1, and it was so satisfying that I do not care if my week turns out a turd because I'll be smiling thinking of this episode. It was that good to me :lol:

Of course now Sansa is going to finally go full on evil psycho bitch and go all "Ramsay" on Ramsay if you catch my meaning. :shock:

Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby sand4fish » Fri May 29, 2015 1:27 am

Sonikku wrote:
sand4fish wrote:

Of course now Sansa is going to finally go full on evil psycho bitch and go all "Ramsay" on Ramsay if you catch my meaning. :shock:

Can't wait for it :P
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby sand4fish » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:35 am

This last episode "HARDHOME" is the most exciting ever! Now I understand why the term "Winter is coming" is thrown around a lot in this world.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sonikku » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:19 pm

Fuck the dragonglass! :shock:
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:00 pm

Well...
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Kenny » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:16 pm

That was awesome as fuck.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby sand4fish » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:45 pm

Sonikku wrote: Fuck the dragonglass! :shock:

Somebody could tell me if there's any difference between dragonglass and valyrian steel? In that last episode apparently Jon used the sword Lord commander Mormont gave to him (made of Valyrian steel), and it had the same effect dragonglass had on the walkers. Are they of the same material, just different names?
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:30 pm

^So that means that Brienne and Jaime Lannister may also have the tools to kill them? Would be pretty cool if that's the way in which Jaime effectively redeems himself.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Raithos » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:36 pm

Nah he gave his sword to Brienne, the other went to the King, now in the hands of Tommen Baratheon after Joeffery died. They don't get into it in the show but in the books they talk about how the steel from Valyria was used to kill white walkers. Was awesome to see Jon Snow shatter the white walker though! This past episode was awesome.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic