Dream Jobs... Let Me Help You

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Dream Jobs... Let Me Help You

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:13 pm

LawXiu wrote:The ultimate job would be a pilot. There's no way I could afford the education and training for that. Flying lessons work out around £100 per hour last time I looked.

If you've got a decent enough credit history, try getting a loan. I dunno if you've seen in the news recently, but the government's practically ordered banks to be more lenient with granting people loans and make more available, otherwise they'll get no help from them.

If you're young enough too, why not try applying for a student loan instead? But yes, in this case you'te right about needing the money. Really, the only way to make it cheaper for yourself would be to gradually befriend a pilot or a pilot instructor n try to get hold of "mates rates".

Yeahhh... Good luck with that!
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:16 pm

Sailors? wrote:Its all about the enjoyment of creativity as well as making a reasonable salary. Of course I have to make enough to live off, but I don't want to get tired of my job.

I know what you mean, I'm the exact same. Anyway, you n SC should start a PM sesh n get some collab in the works. Or talk to Kenny too, considering you work in different departments in the same industry.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Sailors? » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:21 pm

I'd be more than happy to work with indie developers, and you're right it is all about contacts. I do already have a bunch of contacts in the media (just a few weeks ago I met a girl on the megabus from Birmingham who works at Salford media city.) but more contacts is always a good thing so if you could hook me up that would be great. But yeah I have no problem working with anyone on here it all goes into my portfolio at the end of the day which makes it easier to promote myself. I could also help with sound design as I'm not just a composer I work with sound design too.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: HuntaOfTheNight

Postby south carmain » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:26 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote:
south carmain wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote:I speak to Norm Breyfogle a lot (worked on Detective Comics in the early 90s, co-created Anarky, Scarface & The Ventriloquist etc, and currently does the penciling for the Batman Beyond comics), and I know a concept artist. I also know someone who has his own graphic design business (signs, t-shirts, comics, album covers, etc.) The missus is good at drawing too, but it's mainly Disney style. What exactly is it you want to do/want help with?

ah no way I can afford them as my budget is near 0 :lol: I'm working on a game so hoping I can find someone who is passionate enough to work on it for nothing and get payed from a % of the Earnings (something that can actually turn out much better than a fixed pay if successful) I already mastered 3d modelling to an extent and the coding isn't that difficult the problem is that I can't even draw a stickman properly and no matter how much I practice it's just one of those things I'm not good at, I don't need someone to do every texture in the game as I can easily do them myself but character design will look pretty dull if I do it unfortunately

So you can do the modelling, texturing, the coding... Have you done a design document? Coz all you'd need after that (besides marketers) are sound effects, voiceover work, a score (which I'm sure Sailors?) can provide), mappers, and testers. All assuming that this is to be marketed as an indie game and you haven't set your sights on mainstream. Also, can you model environments?

Anyway, lemme know exactly what you have done, are doing, and can do, then let me know what you need. Like I said, Sailors? would probably agree to do the score, I'd help you with the sound effects, OL does voiceover work, as does Kenny (he writes too, as do I), and I'm sure Segata would agree to have a look over the source code and maybe even do a little playtesting.

I also know someone who may do the concept art on a royalty-fee basis, as you're definitely going to need an art bible to coincide with your design document. Maps? That should follow the logic of the gameflow, just build simple routes from A to B, then expand on them, expand on the expansions, expand once more, then throw it away, try to remember it, do it again, and then expand on that (a trick an old level designer told me, he said it worked every time)

![/color]

I've already got the soundtrack, testers and sound effects as for the environments I have no problem making them i'm a pretty creative person and this is the 5-6th time I've changed them, it went through a shit ton of stages before I finally decided on the last environment, I won't be using voice acting as it's going to be released on Android (and maybe Iphone in the future) alongside PC (if steam deem it good enough) so it would end up huge and I would need a shit ton of people to do it, as for the marketing it's my main job so no problems there, I've already completed nearly half of the environments, all I need now is to work on the small details that make the game more immersive, the only thing I run into a dead end with is character design, oh and the environment is in no way A to B, it's kind of like Yakuza with more detective elements

but if people want to contribute in some way that can benefit them at the same time I'm more than happy to give them the opportunity
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:26 pm

Just gunna pop this here

http://www.gameifesto.com/
http://www.gamedevmap.com/
http://www.playstation.com/psm/index_e.html
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=23714

If anyone is interested I need help with .NET structures and converting GML systems over to C languages. (Money is dependent on hitting goals so if you're willing to work hard to get something done you'll get paid.)
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:01 pm

Yeah, I was about to say that. Do a quick search for development tools for SymbianOS and iOS (Windows Phone is in the same link as the Xbox Live Indie Games link) And like I keep sayin, IndieDB is brilliant. That's where the likes of Bastion got started. I'd suggest openin up dialogue with Segata as much as possible, he's your most vital resource, as he works on mainstream and still keeps tabs on the indie scene.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Sailors? » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:25 pm

Also to LawXiu my uncle is a pilot who flies commercial jets. I can't give you his contact details but I can ask him any questions if you'd like me to. I believe it takes around 7 years to get a license to fly commercial jets and a lot of money. But it pays off, (Should see his house.)
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kenny » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:44 pm

Sailors? wrote:I want to compose music for film and TV. I'm doing alright as it is to be honest, second year at uni focusing directly on this line of work, but it's always nice to talk about and discuss things that I'm interested in. What would your advise be on the matter of getting work straight out of uni? I'm already building a portfolio of music,sound design and my final year individual project will be a show reel of different genres of music put to film. That will be approx 30 mins in total. Which will also go in my portfolio.

I know we talked about ideas not too long ago, but i'd like to hear a copy of your reel once its done. One of the things i'm looking for in the near future is music to go along with a pitch film/scissor reel. Most I can do is acoustic guitar but i'm looking for something more electronic, string based, xylophone tones, and ambient.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NxrQipUkwg[/youtube]

Like the first 40 seconds in this track. It has the same type of sounds i'm looking for. You also hear those types of background music for TV shows too.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Sailors? » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:59 pm

Of course I will be happy to show you, but it probably won't be complete until sometime next year, as it's my final BIG project for University and counts for a lot so I need to put as much time into it as possible. I've started it now and it's not due until around May next year. That being said I have no problem creating the music for any of your projects in the future, I'd be more than happy to. I have access to all the equipment I need to create a soundtrack similar to the example you've shown. So if you have any material CURRENTLY that you wanted to send me I could start putting some music to it if you'd like.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:06 pm

Just get me Alysson Hannigan
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Sonikku » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:10 pm

I Don't currently require your specially branded form of help on account of being awesome.
Never the less, I still make an offer of sexual favors. :heart:
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:39 pm

Yes, er, I'd like to be, er, a pony. Help me out here, please.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:43 pm

Tom's Rhinoplasty should help.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt