Dream Jobs... Let Me Help You

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Dream Jobs... Let Me Help You

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:24 am

Okay, so it's recently come to my attention that a lot of you have unfulfilled ambitions that are rapidly becoming pipe dreams as you see your life pass you by, leaving you wondering when the hell you're gonna get your chance.

I'm currently on the road myself, and have had plenty of excuses to hold me back. The thing is, they're mainly just excuses, not reasons. On the plus side, it's given me enough time to build a sound and fool-proof business plan, and I see no reason why youz can't do the same.

So, all I wanna know is what your dream job is, whether or not you're deadly serious about it, and I'll help you out as much as I can. Not just tellin you what to do, I'm talking actual, serious help.

Now, obviously it won't be free of charge, but you won't be paying me any money. Instead I'll be charging a "favour fee", which basically means you'll owe me, and I'll be callin upon you if I need someone in your line of work for something.

So, who's first in line?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Re: Dream Jobs... Let Me Help You

Postby south carmain » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:41 pm

not much I can think of really, can you draw or know anyone who is a good digital artist? I'm all for the favour system if you need anything let me know
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:13 pm

I speak to Norm Breyfogle a lot (worked on Detective Comics in the early 90s, co-created Anarky, Scarface & The Ventriloquist etc, and currently does the penciling for the Batman Beyond comics), and I know a concept artist. I also know someone who has his own graphic design business (signs, t-shirts, comics, album covers, etc.) The missus is good at drawing too, but it's mainly Disney style. What exactly is it you want to do/want help with?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby LawXiu » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:42 pm

My problem was not ever knowing what I wanted to be. Thinking about it now there's a few things I'd like to do but need a far better education which I can't afford.
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:59 pm

That's a very common misconception with most things. What are some of the things you wanna do?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby LawXiu » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:03 pm

The ultimate job would be a pilot. There's no way I could afford the education and training for that. Flying lessons work out around £100 per hour last time I looked.
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:18 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote:I speak to Norm Breyfogle a lot (worked on Detective Comics in the early 90s, co-created Anarky, Scarface & The Ventriloquist etc, and currently does the penciling for the Batman Beyond comics), and I know a concept artist. I also know someone who has his own graphic design business (signs, t-shirts, comics, album covers, etc.) The missus is good at drawing too, but it's mainly Disney style. What exactly is it you want to do/want help with?

ah no way I can afford them as my budget is near 0 :lol: I'm working on a game so hoping I can find someone who is passionate enough to work on it for nothing and get payed from a % of the Earnings (something that can actually turn out much better than a fixed pay if successful) I already mastered 3d modelling to an extent and the coding isn't that difficult the problem is that I can't even draw a stickman properly and no matter how much I practice it's just one of those things I'm not good at, I don't need someone to do every texture in the game as I can easily do them myself but character design will look pretty dull if I do it unfortunately
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Sailors? » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:29 pm

I want to compose music for film and TV. I'm doing alright as it is to be honest, second year at uni focusing directly on this line of work, but it's always nice to talk about and discuss things that I'm interested in. What would your advise be on the matter of getting work straight out of uni? I'm already building a portfolio of music,sound design and my final year individual project will be a show reel of different genres of music put to film. That will be approx 30 mins in total. Which will also go in my portfolio.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: HuntaOfTheNight

Postby LawXiu » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:38 pm

^ My brothers got a friend in Shanghai who works on the music for tv adverts. He's on really good money, owns a flat there, house in the UK. He loves it. He recently did the new Ford Mondeo advert over there. Stick with it.
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sailors? » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:49 pm

Sounds brilliant! Yes I have worked with jingles before but just in my portfolio, I really need to reach out to more companies and see if they need any work doing. Freelance is difficult but if you stick with it then it pays off big time, (your brother as a great example.) Thanks.

EDIT: Oh and do you mean this one....?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1dw1VeF320
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:51 pm

maybe you should try looking in the middle east, their adverts are surprisingly bad and they have plenty of oil money to pay out, also the fact that you're British will give you an advantage on getting the job
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Sailors? » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:57 pm

Good advice but what about the language barrier? I'm presuming your brother speaks Chinese well?
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:01 pm

^the business language is english, if you go to Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Qatar everyone will speak english and companies will operate in English first and Arabic second, this might be the same for some companies in Saudi Arabia but unless if you are only interested in money and not having fun then I wouldn't go there if I was you

if you need any extra advise if you decide to give it a try pm me and I can explain to you how it works out there, visas, best place to look for work, companies how to find housing etc
Last edited by south carmain on Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:09 pm

south carmain wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote:I speak to Norm Breyfogle a lot (worked on Detective Comics in the early 90s, co-created Anarky, Scarface & The Ventriloquist etc, and currently does the penciling for the Batman Beyond comics), and I know a concept artist. I also know someone who has his own graphic design business (signs, t-shirts, comics, album covers, etc.) The missus is good at drawing too, but it's mainly Disney style. What exactly is it you want to do/want help with?

ah no way I can afford them as my budget is near 0 :lol: I'm working on a game so hoping I can find someone who is passionate enough to work on it for nothing and get payed from a % of the Earnings (something that can actually turn out much better than a fixed pay if successful) I already mastered 3d modelling to an extent and the coding isn't that difficult the problem is that I can't even draw a stickman properly and no matter how much I practice it's just one of those things I'm not good at, I don't need someone to do every texture in the game as I can easily do them myself but character design will look pretty dull if I do it unfortunately

So you can do the modelling, texturing, the coding... Have you done a design document? Coz all you'd need after that (besides marketers) are sound effects, voiceover work, a score (which I'm sure Sailors?) can provide), mappers, and testers. All assuming that this is to be marketed as an indie game and you haven't set your sights on mainstream. Also, can you model environments?

Anyway, lemme know exactly what you have done, are doing, and can do, then let me know what you need. Like I said, Sailors? would probably agree to do the score, I'd help you with the sound effects, OL does voiceover work, as does Kenny (he writes too, as do I), and I'm sure Segata would agree to have a look over the source code and maybe even do a little playtesting.

I also know someone who may do the concept art on a royalty-fee basis, as you're definitely going to need an art bible to coincide with your design document. Maps? That should follow the logic of the gameflow, just build simple routes from A to B, then expand on them, expand on the expansions, expand once more, then throw it away, try to remember it, do it again, and then expand on that (a trick an old level designer told me, he said it worked every time)

Sailors? wrote:I want to compose music for film and TV. I'm doing alright as it is to be honest, second year at uni focusing directly on this line of work, but it's always nice to talk about and discuss things that I'm interested in. What would your advise be on the matter of getting work straight out of uni? I'm already building a portfolio of music,sound design and my final year individual project will be a show reel of different genres of music put to film. That will be approx 30 mins in total. Which will also go in my portfolio.

I know a scriptwriter who has a contract with Film4, I'd say he's your best route in there. It's all about your contacts. I'm involved in music myself, but the other side of it.

If you wanna build yourself up slowly first, I'd say theatre or local TV like Channel M (does that still exist?) are good ways of doing it. Also, make yourself available for course projects of college and uni students (it ain't a step back, they may get fast-tracked to a good job, so keep up relations!)

Other than that, I'm pretty sure you've just seen I've recommended SC gets onto you about composing for his game. Indie developers are cryin out for good composers. Get on Indie DB and make yourself available. Some actually do pay money!
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Sailors? » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:09 pm

Its all about the enjoyment of creativity as well as making a reasonable salary. Of course I have to make enough to live off, but I don't want to get tired of my job.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

Next

Return to Off Topic