Old School Dojo-ers

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Old School Dojo-ers

Postby nzk0 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:01 pm

Nice to see a lot of you are still around, and I can't believe my musha account is still active haha great :) I'm reading my past comments and god was I retarded back then hahaha. It's like traveling back in time :P
nzk0
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: nzk0
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Sleeping Dogs

Postby Master Kyodai » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:35 pm

Strange memories on this nervous night at the Dojo. Ten years later? Eleven? It seems like a lifetime, or at least a Main Era—the kind of peak that never comes again. The dojo in the early 2000s was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run… but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant.…

History is hard to know, because of all the hired bullshit, but even without being sure of "history" it seems entirely reasonable to think that every now and then the energy of a whole generation comes to a head in a long fine flash, for reasons that nobody really understands at the time—and which never explain, in retrospect, what actually happened.

My central memory of that time seems to hang on one or five or maybe forty nights—or very early mornings—when I left the dojo half-crazy and, instead of going home, surfing at Ryos place or some random shenmue websites, not quite sure which turn-off to take when I got to the other end (always stalling at the admins, too twisted to find neutral while I fumbled for some reasonable post)... but being absolutely certain that no matter which way I went I would come to a place where people were just as high and wild as I was: No doubt at all about that…

There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Shenmue 3 forum, then up the SEGA forum or down General.… You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning.…

And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.…

So now, less than ten years later, you can go up on a steep hill in the dojo and look back, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

Master Kyodai has received 5 thanks from: nzk0, Sailors?, silent killer, St. Elmo's Fire, ys
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby nzk0 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:22 pm

Master Kyodai wrote: Strange memories on this nervous night at the Dojo. Ten years later? Eleven? It seems like a lifetime, or at least a Main Era—the kind of peak that never comes again. The dojo in the early 2000s was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run… but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant.…

History is hard to know, because of all the hired bullshit, but even without being sure of "history" it seems entirely reasonable to think that every now and then the energy of a whole generation comes to a head in a long fine flash, for reasons that nobody really understands at the time—and which never explain, in retrospect, what actually happened.

My central memory of that time seems to hang on one or five or maybe forty nights—or very early mornings—when I left the dojo half-crazy and, instead of going home, surfing at Ryos place or some random shenmue websites, not quite sure which turn-off to take when I got to the other end (always stalling at the admins, too twisted to find neutral while I fumbled for some reasonable post)... but being absolutely certain that no matter which way I went I would come to a place where people were just as high and wild as I was: No doubt at all about that…

There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Shenmue 3 forum, then up the SEGA forum or down General.… You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning.…

And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.…

So now, less than ten years later, you can go up on a steep hill in the dojo and look back, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

BRAVO :D
nzk0
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby silent killer » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:33 pm

Very well put.
silent killer
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

XBL: arcane devices
Currently playing: Cross Code

Postby Peter » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:47 pm

Also i will be calling you Musha since its the name i can remember from years ago ;-)
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:58 pm

Been on these boards since 2002, I am a 10 year vet. You thought gamespy was bad, imagine what forum planet was like. Then again forum tech has come along way since then.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby nzk0 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:00 pm

Peter wrote: Also i will be calling you Musha since its the name i can remember from years ago ;-)

Sure :) You can also call me Phil :P
nzk0
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Peter » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:03 pm

Phil Starr! From now on, to me you are Phill Starr!!!!!!! :lol:
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Spokane » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:06 pm

That's not a good thing I take it.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby nzk0 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:10 pm

Peter wrote: Phil Starr! From now on, to me you are Phill Starr!!!!!!! :lol:

Who's Phil Starr ?? lol
nzk0
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Peter » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:15 pm

Because your Phil. And your a star! :nice!:
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Spokane » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:24 pm

My Japanese teacher in high school the first year was Gary Starr. He was a really cool dude.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

Postby Yama » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:19 pm

Here since late '03, though admittedly absent for years in between.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby nzk0 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:59 pm

Spokane wrote: My Japanese teacher in high school the first year was Gary Starr. He was a really cool dude.

You had Japanese in high school ? Wow, in Canada we're lucky if we get Spanish lessons lol
nzk0
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Spokane » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:43 pm

Wait wait. I thought you were in Mexico.

And we have a all Japanese girls school here too so I met some of them but I never was good at Japanese but talking in English to me and my classmates helped them also get experience speaking English. Nishinomiya in the Osaka area is one of our sister cities so we have an exchange program with them. The same teacher I had for Japanese the first taught there for a while too, except he taught English there.

You'll see them at the store and mall all the time and waiting for the public bus. Giant groups of Japanese girls, sometimes just a small group of 2, 3 or 4.
Last edited by Spokane on Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic