Do you believe in UFO?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Do you believe in UFO? (Total votes: 17)

Yes, I saw them
18%
Yes, I believe but didnt saw them
47%
Maybe yes, maybe no
24%
I'm will not believe before I will not seen them
No votes
No, all videos and photos with UFO is fake!
12%

Re: Do you believe in UFO?

Postby KiBa » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:28 pm

lol @ all the super-sophisticated skeptics who relentlessly tear apart reports of miracles, and scream to the four winds that God is a lie for stupid people, then immediately get all serious about alien beings from another planet visiting the goddamn Earth in super-secret starships that sometimes advertize their existence by flashing pointless lights. Think they're just trying to bring a little Christmas cheer to this Halloween Town?

Now, if you're talking extraterrestrials, medieval philosophers wrote whole libraries about them because every religion, including Christianity, has always believed in extraterrestrials as a matter of faith. The Bible is full of them. The medievals call them "the intelligences." The Bible calls them "messengers," or "the watchers." The philosophy of angels got quite sophisticated a thousand years ago, right down to the fact that while they are immaterial intelligences, far more intelligent than human beings, and they sometimes take bodily form. Now here's the creepy part: they cannot take living forms, for only the human soul is the form of a living body. Rather, angels take on the form of dead bodies. They cannot see, they cannot feel. They merely animate a dead body to fulfill certain purposes that cannot be done by speaking in our heads, which is their primary form of interaction with humans. Most importantly, not all angels are good, and they have their own history that predates the existence of humanity. Sounds like jolly good sci-fi; it's actually all lifted from St. Thomas Aquinas, among many others. You chaps ought to read some of his Summa Theologica to get some story ideas. Draw a comic or something. Make a game.

KiBa has received a thanks from: wude
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:13 pm

I have read some of the Summa Theologica and his proofs for the existence of god. Some of it makes sense like 'out of nothing, nothing comes' but others I'm a bit more wary of. As for the whole 'if you believe in aliens, then why not take the whole gods/angels/fairies package as well' idea, I think its more likely for an intelligent civilization to exist as opposed to a bearded man in the sky who watches over everything you do and keeps score etc. We are one of the youngest galaxies in the universe. If we're only going by numbers, then by the sheer size of the universe, with all its stars, planets, galaxies etc. it seems highly unlikely that we are the only ones in it. I do think that it's more plausible than the supernatural. I'm not saying it's the flying saucer anal probing green men kind, but im sure something out there exists.
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby wude » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:23 pm

What if god was an alien :shock:
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: m.a.m.e

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:28 pm

wude wrote: What if god was an alien :shock:

That would be pretty hilarious. Although then we wouldn't really need to use the word god then, would we? The term god means he is all knowing all , all powerful, the ultimate good and omnipresent. If we think he's an alien and he would be similar or even show emotion, then that god idea would be thrown out the window wouldn't it? Or it would take on a whole new meaning and we'd have to toss out 2,000 years of defining him. The Prometheus idea is pretty compelling though. Minus the whole we have to kill you and purge you bit.
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kenny » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:31 pm

Yokosuka Martian wrote: I have read some of the Summa Theologica and his proofs for the existence of god. Some of it makes sense like 'out of nothing, nothing comes' but others I'm a bit more wary of. As for the whole 'if you believe in aliens, then why not take the whole gods/angels/fairies package as well' idea, I think its more likely for an intelligent civilization to exist as opposed to a bearded man in the sky who watches over everything you do and keeps score etc. We are one of the youngest galaxies in the universe. If we're only going by numbers, then by the sheer size of the universe, with all its stars, planets, galaxies etc. it seems highly unlikely that we are the only ones in it. I do think that it's more plausible than the supernatural. I'm not saying it's the flying saucer anal probing green men kind, but im sure something out there exists.

Pretty much it. All you have to do is take civilization on this planet, which has been explained by evolution and biology to the best of our knowledge, and just apply it out there. A planet that is in the right distance as this one to the sun and has an atmosphere and water is likely to have a population of some kind evolve over time. Reason for this justification? Earth itself, 'nuff said really.

Thing is, we haven't found that planet or its supposed civilization yet. However the "out of nothing, nothing comes" and "something cannot come from nothing" are reasonable assumptions, but do you have a "nothing" to look at and test that out? Nope, therefore they are not absolutes. It's just like aliens, its reasonable they might exist based on the fact there COULD be a planet like Earth...but there's no way to actually prove it. Yet, anyway.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Yokosuka Martian
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby KiBa » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:54 pm

Yokosuka Martian wrote:We are one of the youngest galaxies in the universe. If we're only going by numbers, then by the sheer size of the universe, with all its stars, planets, galaxies etc. it seems highly unlikely that we are the only ones in it.

You've got to be more pessimistic, Martian! You can't possibly have a sense of humor and not realize how incredibly funny it would be if we were completely alone in infinite space. It's literally the best idea ever. I can't even type it without cracking up. It would be the best possible ending to Shenmumanity III.

After all, Shenmue III is a legend, Mr. Wayne. It's a symbol of the unreachable end of the world. The last, missing piece of the puzzle.

wude wrote: What if god was an alien :shock:

Oh, and
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USR3bX_PtU4[/youtube]
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:57 pm

I've gotta say, you have an intelligent and satirical sense of humour.
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kenny » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:18 pm

Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:26 pm

I would have to say that the Ancient Aliens series is some of the most hilarious piece of television ever

Yokosuka Martian has received a thanks from: wude
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:21 pm

Ever seen that movie Fire in the Sky?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:06 pm

I haven't seen it before. What's it about?
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ys » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:51 pm

As far as there being other life, the odds are that there should be something considering the sheer size of the universe. One of the courses I'm taking at university in a few months is astrobiology so it's not really a niche thing to believe this anymore or at least acknowledge that there might be.

About UFO-sightings. Few of them are sightings of aliens. I've seen tons of photos where it's very obvious that people's lack of knowledge of the sky makes them believe it's something special. Psychologists have also studied the phenomenon since people's unconscious can even make them see reality in a different way. So they might not be lying about certain details, it's just that their brain played tricks and made them believe that they it a certain way.

And the speculation of aliens visiting earlier and maybe being the source of religions. Well, I'm not for or against it. One of the things that has been observed is that a technologically superior civilization looks like gods or magicians to one much less advanced. Like some white people flying to a remote African tribe some years ago. They had never seen white people or airplanes. So when the westerners returned years later there were already tales about white sky people flying down and bringing presents. Or even in rural China where people called an iPad "magic".

ys has received a thanks from: Bluecast
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:10 pm

think i'll leave this here again dun dun dun http://www.technologyreview.com/view/42 ... imulation/
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby mue 26 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:32 pm

Yokosuka Martian wrote: I've gotta say, you have an intelligent and satirical sense of humour.

Ah come on, your giving him way too many props. He's like a 6 at best. He's no Spokane.

And as for Aliens, ya'll have it twisted, my, my, my. Darwin lied, so check these two words: Lloyd Pie.

Realness.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:39 pm

The Universe has been around what an est 20+ billion years? Earth 4.5 and Humans 30 million? That's a lot of time and a lot of space. Hard to believe in all that time and all that space we are the only ones. Also

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlikCebQSlY[/youtube]

Yokosuka Martian wrote: I haven't seen it before. What's it about?

Don't even bother it turned out with no surprise it was a big hoax. Guy faked his own abduction then told a grand story then made into film. Later was found to be a hoax. Movie sucked as well.

Oh and to anyone who asks we been looking for so long but found nothing, why? Well as Neil Degrasse Tyson said( I'm sure spelled that wrong) Take a small glass scoop up some water from the ocean and that's all we have done for our galaxy.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic