Star Wars The Clone Wars

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Star Wars The Clone Wars

Postby Sonikku » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:19 pm

I must say, I think I hated this show when it premiered. I didn't see how they could possibly make it compelling considering the fates of nearly every character had already been determined. To a large extent, I've been right. But the past season has been pretty good, besides the obligatory humor episodes with the droids that always fall flat on their face. The last 7 episodes in the season however were particularly exceptional. The final 3 episode arc ended with a finale so powerful and perfectly executed, it actually left me in tears. (and makes the events of Episode 3 seem far less forced and Anakin's final decision far less of a stretch) No show that gets this good lasts for very long, and sure enough, Disney like they're doing to countless Star Wars projects across the board has abruptly brought the axe down despite a plot thread being left hanging. Has anyone else been watching?
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:29 pm

I watched the first 2 seasons then stopped. I enjoyed it, but it wasnt super spectactular. I meant to get back into it but some episodes in season 2 were rather boring and I lost interest. What season are they on now?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:16 pm

Season 5 just finished airing this month. With Disney disbanding the team that made the show, it's season finale is more or less the series finale. At the very least, the last episode was the best in the entire show so if they were going to end it here, it could not have been a better swan song.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:52 pm

wtf is going on with disney anyway? why are they so power hungry over all the star wars projects now?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby TEEPO™ » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:36 am

I'm glad they're cancelling it when it's at its high point. There is only three years between Episode II and III, the time period this TV series takes place in. There is only so much you can do without running into continuity problems. It also has the same problem as the prequel films themselves did: we already know what happens at the end. There's no jeapardy to the characters when we already know the mains ones can't die. All the danger they face has no impact and is a pointless waste of time.

Disney have said they want to make another series set in an 'untouched' time period of the SW universe. I agree with that and it's what Lucas should have done in the first place. Either set the new series post-ROTJ, or thousands of years in the past like KOTOR.
TEEPO™
Banned
Banned

Currently playing: with my sister

Postby Kenny » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:38 am

AnimeGamer183 wrote: wtf is going on with disney anyway? why are they so power hungry over all the star wars projects now?

Wouldn't you be if you had your hands on one of the most lucrative franchises of all time?

Kenny has received a thanks from: QWERTY
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby QWERTY » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:43 am

Kenny wrote:
AnimeGamer183 wrote: wtf is going on with disney anyway? why are they so power hungry over all the star wars projects now?

Wouldn't you be if you had your hands on one of the most lucrative franchises of all time?

I'm glad it's out of Lucas's hands now. At least there is a slight potential we might get another Empire Strikes Back. It's more likely we'll get another Tron Legacy though. *sigh*

QWERTY has received a thanks from: Kenny
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby Kenny » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:48 am

With Abrams at the helm, I'm only expecting unexplained macguffins and lens flares.

And maybe a shitty, underwhelming ending.

Kenny has received a thanks from: QWERTY
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby QWERTY » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:55 am

Kenny wrote: With Abrams at the helm, I'm only expecting unexplained macguffins and lens flares.

And maybe a shitty, underwhelming ending.

Lol. As I was reading your post I was humming to myself "leeeeeens flaaaaares". It's painful how predictable a director can be. He did revitalise Trek in a clever way though. Fingers crossed he doesn't get Lindelof anywhere near it. I hate that guy. Prometheus should've been so much better!
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby Kenny » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:54 am

I heard Lindelof actually had a great script but it was torn to pieces by other writers when Ridley Scott came on board. He's not coming back on board for the Prometheus sequel due to "other commitments" but I think it's cause he doesn't want to waste his time writing another one, getting it fucked up, then blamed for something he had no hand in.

Especially now he has enough reputation to spearhead his own projects, where he can have more creative control.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby QWERTY » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:17 pm

Kenny wrote: I heard Lindelof actually had a great script but it was torn to pieces by other writers when Ridley Scott came on board. He's not coming back on board for the Prometheus sequel due to "other commitments" but I think it's cause he doesn't want to waste his time writing another one, getting it fucked up, then blamed for something he had no hand in.

Especially now he has enough reputation to spearhead his own projects, where he can have more creative control.

Nope. John Spaihts was the original writer but Fox brought in Lindelof to make it more "accessible" for the general public. I followed the whole production with great interest, because it's mother flipping Alien yo, but as soon as I knew one of the predominant writers behind Lost was involved I knew it would be a clusterfuck of unanswered questions and poor character development. Apparently the original script is much more coherent. Ridley Scott hasn't made a decent film in ages though, hence why I don't hold out much hope for the Bladerunner pre/sequel.

But anyway... Star Wars.
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby Kenny » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:25 pm

Ah, I stand corrected then. The guy who wrote that article didn't know what they were talking about. Fuck Lindelof in that case.

But yes, I hope the new Star Wars doesn't suck.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby QWERTY » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:28 pm

Kenny wrote: Ah, I stand corrected then. The guy who wrote that article didn't know what they were talking about. Fuck Lindelof in that case.

But yes, I hope the new Star Wars doesn't suck.

There's been 'nuff cases where Lindelof has actually gone on record arguing his case against the internet warriors that have slated him because of it. I think fair play tbh but it still doesn't stop me from thinking he's a talentless hack.
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby TEEPO™ » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:35 am

I've skimmed through the leaked Jon Spaihts draft and it isn't that much better than the Lindelof rewrite. It has the same amount of strengths and weaknesses as what we ended up with. It's much more of a direct Alien prequel, right down to actually taking place on LV-426. Some good ideas like different types of xenomorphs and much more straight up instead of the pretentious Lindelof shit. It's structurally the same film. They find evidence of ancient alien visitation and a star map, follow the map and find a planet, investigate the pyramid, come across some monsters, run around a bit until the Space Jocky ship crashes at the end. Just swap the urns for alien eggs and throw in a bunch of xenomorphs that get killed in seconds. The build up is better but the pacing of the second act reminded me of AVP. David is also much more overtly villainous in this version, almost like a Bond-villain in some parts. And some bizzare ideas like the Space Jockey shooting invisible missiles out of its chest.
TEEPO™
Banned
Banned

Currently playing: with my sister

Postby QWERTY » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:32 am

It's a shame they deviated from the initial premise of what the film was for. Ridley Scott wanted to make a one-off prequel that linked in directly to Alien but once the studio saw potential for a new trilogy they got greedy and decided it would only be "in the same universe" and "contain strands of Alien DNA". Nggggggghhhhhh. It sounds like they're struggling to nail down how they're going to finish it...

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/prometh ... -2-rumours
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Next

Return to Off Topic