Random Thoughts

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby Kenny » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:51 am

Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby mue 26 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:39 am

Respect to Tom Daley for coming out like that. Hopefully humankind is slowly moving beyond homophobia.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby QWERTY » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:48 am

mue 26 wrote: Respect to Tom Daley for coming out like that. Hopefully humankind is slowly moving beyond homophobia.

I'd have more respect for someone that didn't feel the need to announce their sexual orientation. Not disrespecting what he has done but why should homo or bisexual people have to "come out" anyway?

QWERTY has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby mue 26 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:37 am

That's a fair enough point, but I guess it's the fact that so many people (especially in the public eye, I'd imagine) probably still feel the need to hide it and keep it a secret out of fear of the reaction. Tom Daley knows that once the world catches wind of it anyway they will make a fuss over it regardless, so I can sort of understand why one might want to "come out" on their own terms, as it's not like you can just get on with it without anyone caring .The other approach of not making any statement at all whatsoever is equally valid though of course.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:39 am

...I like how he did this when his name started appearing in the headlines a bit less. And how he does it not long before his new show comes out. And how when I heard a snippet of him talking about it on R1, he managed to utter "obviously I'm still attracted to girls" along the way, meaning that the teenage girl fanbase won't abandon him either.
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby QWERTY » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:46 am

mue 26 wrote: That's a fair enough point, but I guess it's the fact that so many people (especially in the public eye, I'd imagine) probably still feel the need to hide it and keep it a secret out of fear of the reaction. Tom Daley knows that once the world catches wind of it anyway they will make a fuss over it regardless, so I can sort of understand why one might want to "come out" on their own terms, as it's not like you can just get on with it without anyone caring .The other approach of not making any statement at all whatsoever is equally valid though of course.

He seems like a clued up enough guy in my eyes. I would have expected him to not pander to the media like he has by making this announcement. Fair do's like I said, bumming is bumming at the end of the day, but he's a young lad from a different generation, a more socially accepting generation that he could have helped to make a difference towards.
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby mue 26 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:16 am

It can set a good example though, to those still too ashamed or scared to be open about such things themselves. http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/d ... -attitudes
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:21 pm

I've really gotta say this avatar of mine by south carmain is awesome

Yokosuka Martian has received a thanks from: south carmain
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby south carmain » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:57 pm

Yokosuka Martian wrote: I've really gotta say this avatar of mine by south carmain is awesome

I completely forgot that i had mad photoshop skills
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Crimson Ryan » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:14 pm

phpBB [video]

Unbelievable. I wish I could speak to someone like Gordon Ramsey does and get away with it..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Stocke » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:15 pm

mue 26 wrote: Respect to Tom Daley for coming out like that. Hopefully humankind is slowly moving beyond homophobia.

I study and live in Plymouth, and alot of my flat mates have met him personally. Apparently he's just as kind as he comes across in the media. it's been pretty big news around here.

I imagine announcing it is a lot better for him than all the rumors that would generate if he didn't. Fair play to the guy. Hope he doesn't get too hard a time.
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:26 pm

Stocke wrote:I imagine announcing it is a lot better for him than all the rumors that would generate if he didn't.

Most people could tell the guy was gay the first time they heard him speak. I remember some girl back when I was at college was obsessed with him and pretty much everyone was shocked that she couldn't see how camp he was. Then again I don't think she was all there in the head as she was quite an odd girl.

I hope the guy is happy but there's no need to 'come out' to the public it just stinks of attention seeking. Someone said that he has a new show in a few weeks so he's obviously after a few viewers. I remember when Ricky Martin came out it was just a little before he had a new album. I appreciate people more when they don't feel the need to play the celebrity game to get more attention. You have someone like Kevin Spacey who is gay and he just keeps to himself and doesn't feel the need to make a Youtube video to tell his fans. When someone has to run to the press to announce this kind of private thing I can't help but think they're a little desperate for attention.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Stocke
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Stocke » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:57 pm

Riku Rose wrote:
Stocke wrote:I imagine announcing it is a lot better for him than all the rumors that would generate if he didn't.

Most people could tell the guy was gay the first time they heard him speak. I remember some girl back when I was at college was obsessed with him and pretty much everyone was shocked that she couldn't see how camp he was. Then again I don't think she was all there in the head as she was quite an odd girl.

I hope the guy is happy but there's no need to 'come out' to the public it just stinks of attention seeking. Someone said that he has a new show in a few weeks so he's obviously after a few viewers. I remember when Ricky Martin came out it was just a little before he had a new album. I appreciate people more when they don't feel the need to play the celebrity game to get more attention. You have someone like Kevin Spacey who is gay and he just keeps to himself and doesn't feel the need to make a Youtube video to tell his fans. When someone has to run to the press to announce this kind of private thing I can't help but think they're a little desperate for attention.

You do make a very good point. I forgot about the TV show.
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kenny » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:36 pm

Kind of reminds me of the whole Jodie Foster speech at the Golden Globes or something, where she sounded like she was coming out but didn't really say it.

That really annoyed me. You either talk about it or you don't, don't dance around the issue like that.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:41 am

Kevin Spacey is gay?