Random Thoughts

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby Rakim » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:32 am

Thief wrote: I have to start taking a foreign language next semester and am having serious trouble deciding what to take. I'd like to take Swedish but it's not offered at my university. My thoughts waver between German, Japanese, and Spanish but I can't decide -- these thoughts plague my mind because I don't wanna be locked into something (there's no going back) that I don't enjoy.

I'm really biased towards Japanese, but I must say those are all great languages Thief. You can't go wrong. I've actually started to dip my foot in the pool to see how far I can get in German recently. I found this really cool comic book like a week ago at a used bookstore. In fact here's a shitty webcam shot of it to, hopefully, help your decision.

To even it out and show you what you're missing in the other two languages(also I'm just bored lulz) here's is a picture each of a book from my Japanese and Spanish learning materials.

Hope you have fun dude.

Rakim has received a thanks from: Axm
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Axm » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:06 am

I feel you'll have an easier time with Spanish. But perhaps thats just because I grew up with it as my second language.
Japanese imo isnt too crazy if you arent trying to get into Kanji. But once you do, ya.. good luck. I'm constantly learning it and will be for the rest of my life. I dont have much of a choice as I live in Japan. I enjoy it though, its very interesting.

If it was me id say go for whatever language the respective country uses that you actually want to visit someday.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby mue 26 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:46 am

Fuck, we've just lost Bobby Womack :sad: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28067878

Saw him live in London last year, had a feeling it would be my last chance. We need to appreciate our Soul legends while we still can.

phpBB [video]
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:14 am

I'd say Spanish makes the most sense since it's probably the second most used language in the world behind English (don't hold me to that though) German wouldn't be much use to you unless you're looking at travelling to Europe. If you do though n like beer and/or football then it's perfect because Germany's a great country for that. Although a lot of. Germans know English pretty well because of our military presence over there.

Then there's Japanese. It's gonna be difficult as fuck. I've given up multiple times. Mainly coz I'm a lazy bastard n can't be arsed, but it's essentially an alien language. Considering the fact you're a gamer though, you'd probably get the most non-social use out of it, but you may find yourself getting a little frustrated.

At the end of the day, it's completely up to you, but that's my breakdown of it. Personally though, I'd recommend you take proper English so you can realise just how ridiculous your country is with your incessant word-swapping.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby wude » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:57 pm

I started learning German last month, very beautiful and easy to learn imo
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: m.a.m.e

Postby Kenny » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:05 pm

I agree that Spanish might be the most useful since it's becoming a more common language, especially in the States.

German will be easier to learn since English is a Germanic language. I remember when I was in Berlin I was able to pick up certain phrases and words simply because their structure sounded similar to English. I don't know about Japanese except I once tried to learn it when I was a teenager and I just couldn't pick it up.

As a mater of fact, I need to brush up on my French again.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby wude » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:24 pm

Kenny wrote: As a mater of fact, I need to brush up on my French again.

I recommend playing word guessing games, like "4 images 1 mot", they're very useful for enhancing your vocabulary
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: m.a.m.e

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:30 pm

wude wrote:"4 images 1 mot"

lol

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: wude
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:10 pm

I could do that. I use an app called Duolingo which uses flash cards, microphone for speech, and written sentences. If you fail, you have to retake it and that kind of repetitiveness makes you learn the basics quicker.

I want to move on from that to watching French movies and learn the language that way.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Giorgio » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:00 pm

This filthy woman should stop killing innocent animals (like lions, tigers, hippopotamus, rhinos etc) just for fun... Sign the petition: http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/Facebo ... y/?cwKaPhb
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:51 pm

I think being a Shenmue fan and anti-PC (a.k.a. English) has made me loathe petitions... Can't we just order a hit on her instead?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Peter » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:20 pm

Been depressed the past few days, and lying awake tonight since nothing in my life seems to be working out, especially since getting back from travelling. Debts, no purpose, 30, no girlfriend, no real friends, not much money... The list could go on. I even deactivated my Facebook as I was sick of seeing everyone else's lives so happy. All full of pictures of days out, babies, relationships etc. I'd love to be happy for other people's lives, but I am struggling with finding any sort of happiness in my own never mind.

Peter has received a thanks from: Kenny
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Kenny » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:45 pm

Life sucks sometimes, man.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Peter
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:20 am

Peter wrote:Been depressed the past few days, and lying awake tonight since nothing in my life seems to be working out, especially since getting back from travelling. Debts, no purpose, 30, no girlfriend, no real friends, not much money... The list could go on. I even deactivated my Facebook as I was sick of seeing everyone else's lives so happy. All full of pictures of days out, babies, relationships etc. I'd love to be happy for other people's lives, but I am struggling with finding any sort of happiness in my own never mind.

Fuckin hell man. Dont be down. You're a great guy and you just need to keep getting out there and being yourself. You'll see that good things can happen.

Axm has received a thanks from: Peter
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:33 am

Peter have the spirit of a Samurai. I'm sure things will get better, don't give up!

*Kenshin Himura* has received a thanks from: Peter
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic