Random Thoughts

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby Mr357 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:06 am

Ziming wrote:
phpBB [video]

Nothing new to me, but this is some Fahrenheit 451 shit. Pretty terrifying when satire becomes reality.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby shredingskin » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:25 am

It's kinda weirder when you think that your searches are getting filtered.

So yeah, it's not only the mainstream media, everything is being cattered to you, you don't learn, you just agree.

Pretty scary stuff (also, google has the rights to most books, fucking weird).

Radio signal internet it's still pretty weak, but seems that we need another platform to exchange ideas.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Kenny » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:39 am

Riku Rose wrote: See Velvet Revolver live in 2007. I liked Velvet Revolver and followed them after being a massive Guns N' Roses fan. I can't say that I was ever his biggest fan and would be hard pressed to name 3 Stone Temple Pilots songs. The guy had some serious drug issues though that he never seemed to be able to get under control. I never followed news on him closely but there seemed to be news of him being under the influence of drink and drugs every few months.

Sadly another victim of addiction.

I liked the second STP album, I think it was called Purple, and a handful of Velvet Revolver songs.

Agreed. It's a shitty way to go out. Apparently it was cardiac arrest but I wouldn't be surprised it was a result of.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Thief » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:43 am

I swear.. you click on ONE cosplay video because the thumbnail made it look like the girl wasn't wearing any clothes and now youtube thinks that's all you ever want to watch...

Thief has received a thanks from: Sonikku
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kenny » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:31 am

Finished the third draft.

It's shaping up closer to where it needs to be. While I'm waiting on a final round of notes from a colleague, I'm gonna print this new one out and cross examine with the notes one more time to see if there's anything I need to add/change before the final push.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:44 pm

Applying for jobs through agencies are a nightmare. They are so shitty, whatever happened to internal HR doing their jobs? Do they just fiddle with their phones all day long, oh wait, I already know the answer to that already since they ring up complaining about their phones breaking or not getting wifi connection. :roll:

*agency rings me whilst I'm on shift, then proceed to leave the most vague voicemail message known to man, not telling me what the job is they have for me or where it is, sometime I'll ring back and give me nothing, just trying to canvass*

"How would you like a position based over 75 miles away?" Me: "Errr, not really, you bloody plonker"

"Sorry, he's away from his desk at the moment, can I get him/her to give you a call when they get back?" ...and never hear anything back, so have call again for like the third time.

"Yeah, I'm just shortlisting for a job we have currently" Me: "Okay, and where is that?" Them: "Erm, well, I want to shortlist people first then we'll let you know. Do you know *such and such a body*" "Yeah...and?" "Oh, well I just spoke to them before, yeah" "And?" "Well, I'm just shortlisting this position first, I'll let you know tomorrow where it is" HOW ABOUT YOU FUCKING TELL ME WHERE IT IS FIRST?

"What's your current situation at the moment?" (Look at my CV and you will see for yourself in black and white). "Well, I have experience in *this, this and this* and blah blah blah" "Okay, we will be in touch with you, thanks" *never hear anything ever again.*

THEN after you get in contact with them, here are the excuses for you not being right for the role, even for jobs I've already done before a lot. I understand I can't get them all, but this is just getting silly right now:

"This job has been put on hold."

"You are overqualified." (Even though I am doing this exact role at the moment)

"You are unqualified" (Same exact job as above with a different agency...)

"This job has been cancelled due to budget restraints"

"We have filled this position with people with Business management experience instead" (Even though this is a technical role).

"Sorry, but unfortunately you have been unsuccessful" (Even though they said I would have an interview the next day).

"Sorry but you do not fit the criteria for this role" (Even though I have done everything on the job spec and outlined that in my application).

"Sorry, but the hiring manager is looking for somebody with retail experience" (For a fucking technical role...smh).

"..." (As in they never get back to you).

Sorry had to vent, had so much dealings with agencies the past couple of weeks and every single one, every single one has been crap or weird as fuck with how they deal with people.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Mr357 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:52 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:
Applying for jobs through agencies are a nightmare. They are so shitty, whatever happened to internal HR doing their jobs? Do they just fiddle with their phones all day long, oh wait, I already know the answer to that already since they ring up complaining about their phones breaking or not getting wifi connection. :roll:

*agency rings me whilst I'm on shift, then proceed to leave the most vague voicemail message known to man, not telling me what the job is they have for me or where it is, sometime I'll ring back and give me nothing, just trying to canvass*

"How would you like a position based over 75 miles away?" Me: "Errr, not really, you bloody plonker"

"Sorry, he's away from his desk at the moment, can I get him/her to give you a call when they get back?" ...and never hear anything back, so have call again for like the third time.

"Yeah, I'm just shortlisting for a job we have currently" Me: "Okay, and where is that?" Them: "Erm, well, I want to shortlist people first then we'll let you know. Do you know *such and such a body*" "Yeah...and?" "Oh, well I just spoke to them before, yeah" "And?" "Well, I'm just shortlisting this position first, I'll let you know tomorrow where it is" HOW ABOUT YOU FUCKING TELL ME WHERE IT IS FIRST?

"What's your current situation at the moment?" (Look at my CV and you will see for yourself in black and white). "Well, I have experience in *this, this and this* and blah blah blah" "Okay, we will be in touch with you, thanks" *never hear anything ever again.*

THEN after you get in contact with them, here are the excuses for you not being right for the role, even for jobs I've already done before a lot. I understand I can't get them all, but this is just getting silly right now:

"We have filled this position with people with Business management experience instead" (Even though this is a technical role).

"Sorry, but unfortunately you have been unsuccessful" (Even though they said I would have an interview the next day).

"Sorry but you do not fit the criteria for this role" (Even though I have done everything on the job spec and outlined that in my application).

"Sorry, but the hiring manager is looking for somebody with retail experience" (For a fucking technical role...smh).

Sorry had to vent, had so much dealings with agencies the past couple of weeks and every single one, every single one has been crap or weird as fuck with how they deal with people.

What's even more upsetting is that I've had this same experience multiple times. People have pretty shit communications skills these days. Cell phones and the internet have weakened us in that way; we tend to take for granted our ability to easily contact other people.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shredingskin » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:51 pm

phpBB [video]

I don't know if I prefer con-men or zealots, or the overlapping, or the stupid masses.

I don't get it-
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Peter » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:14 am

Henry Spencer wrote: Applying for jobs through agencies are a nightmare. They are so shitty, whatever happened to internal HR doing their jobs? Do they just fiddle with their phones all day long, oh wait, I already know the answer to that already since they ring up complaining about their phones breaking or not getting wifi connection. :roll:

Welcome to modern day humanity. It's communication skills have never been better lol. You should try working in my hospital. If you could see how the place is managed from both a hardware, and administrative standpoint, you would be voting for a private health care system within a week, and have the NHS burned to the ground.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:45 pm

Peter wrote:Welcome to modern day humanity. It's communication skills have never been better lol. You should try working in my hospital. If you could see how the place is managed from both a hardware, and administrative standpoint, you would be voting for a private health care system within a week, and have the NHS burned to the ground.

I have. Have 4 years of working at the NHS under my belt in both admin and in IT. ;-)

And yes, it's really bad there.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:37 pm

I said it before but I can't remember the last time I knew someone that got a job that wasn't through someone they know. If I was looking I'd just look through the contacts on my phone and friends list on Facebook rather then job sites.

People can bitch about how it's unfair that it's about who you know but the fact is that a company has someone they trust putting a good word in for you over a reference on your CV who they have never met before. Anyone with half a brain can make a decent CV and some of the most stupid people I have ever met will boast about their amazing exam results. Yet if I'm hiring someone and someone named Tom suggests his friend Alan and I know Tom is a decent guy I'd imagine he is hanging around with decent people.

I have a friend who's looking for a job at the moment but I wouldn't suggest him where I work as he has been sacked twice for turning up late after going out the night before, that just makes me look bad in the end so when I do suggest someone they know him or her is a good suggestion I've made. I do love the guy but he has some issues he needs to sort out himself before anyone else can help.

I've been very fortunate though in the fact that I haven't ever been unemployed since I got my first job when I was 16 and have only left a job when I have a new one so of course I'm talking about this as an outsider.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby south carmain » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:30 pm

Henry have you done some research on what keywords these employers are likely to look for? I heard it's common that employers just ctrl+f keywords or have a program cycle through cvs using that technique on them instead of looking through them which can lead to people who despite have the qualities for being employed getting turned down due to not including specific keywords. I've heard of unqualafied people getting interviews too simply because they put a shit ton of common keywords in white text leading to their cv being automatically selected.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:51 pm

Actually Riku I am in employment currently and like yourself get in to work pretty quickly since I know how these things go and have fit into technical roles they're looking for, just looking for something else currently since my hours are just abysmal at my current job; having to travel a long way to and fro always in heavy, heavy traffic, just absolutely knackered at the end of the day and it's effecting my social life too much right now. I need me time too and feel like a robot doing the shifts I'm doing at the moment. I'm honestly just carrying on with this current job to save up and go travelling next year, it's long overdue.

south carmain wrote: Henry have you done some research on what keywords these employers are likely to look for? I heard it's common that employers just ctrl+f keywords or have a program cycle through cvs using that technique on them instead of looking through them which can lead to people who despite have the qualities for being employed getting turned down due to not including specific keywords. I've heard of unqualafied people getting interviews too simply because they put a shit ton of common keywords in white text leading to their cv being automatically selected.

Yeah, but that's the problem though, they're inundating me with calls at the moment (some of the jobs are just not even right for me at all), so I must be putting the right stuff on my CV since most of them do get back to me, it's just that they're impossible to get through to and speak to, that's the main issue, they're always "away from the desk", never around and always try ringing me when I'm already at work/driving on the motorway on the way home. So they are trying to initiate it with possibilities of interviews, it's just they always want to call me at the most awkward times when I'm driving/in meetings/in the office and then when I finally do get through to them they just want to canvass me and find out if my current employer would be interested in any more contractors after I leave (cheeky bastards)... It's annoying.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Peter » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:15 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:
Peter wrote:Welcome to modern day humanity. It's communication skills have never been better lol. You should try working in my hospital. If you could see how the place is managed from both a hardware, and administrative standpoint, you would be voting for a private health care system within a week, and have the NHS burned to the ground.

I have. Have 4 years of working at the NHS under my belt in both admin and in IT. ;-)

Wow really? What did you do? Did you use PAS?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Peter » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:17 pm

Peter wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote:

Wow really? What did you do? Did you use PAS?

Oh and Riku, that was a life lesson i learned hard whilst travelling. Few clichés are true, but "its not what you know, its who you know", is one that i will stand by.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic